1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

For free-agent kicker, minicamp is a tryout – for another tryout

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, May 5, 2009.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stor...3-kicker-minicamp-tryout-8211-anoth/?chargers

For free-agent kicker, minicamp is a tryout – for another tryout
    By Chris Jenkins

Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Chargers gave him jersey No. 1. It could stand for Louie Sakoda's one chance in, say, a half-million of beating out Nate Kaeding and/or Mike Scifres.

By no means is that a slam at Sakoda, a rare talent indeed, a special-teams guy who was a consensus first-team All-American as both a kicker (2008) and punter ('07) at Utah. Of all the teams he might've chosen for a tryout, though, about the last place you'd figure to find him in an NFL minicamp is San Diego.

To put it mildly, simply and obviously, see, both jobs are taken. Quite taken. Have been for quite some time now, with no opening imminent. Kaeding and Scifres are two of the Chargers' best, steadiest and most dependable performers.

“In my mind, just the ultimate spot would be to make the practice squad and, hopefully, be there for some team somewhere, if someone gets hurt,” Sakoda said. “I plan to show I'm somewhat of a commodity here and, hopefully, after this weekend I can sign a free-agent deal.

“This is just the best opportunity for me. I'm getting insight on kicking and punting from two of the best in the league, just by watching and learning from them. I've already picked up a few things from Scifres.”

Sakoda has a little Kaeding in him, too, in that his game relies more on accuracy than power. He was not among the three punters and two placekickers drafted, none higher than the fifth round.

“Teams are looking for those booming legs, and there were a lot of those coming out of this year's class,” said Sakoda, whose holder his sophomore year was Chargers safety Eric Weddle. “David Buehler from USC (Dallas Cowboys). Pat McAfee from West Virginia (Indianapolis Colts). Put those guys in front of the coaches and they get a whole different sound to their ball. It's just the way of the league.”

They need to open up the competition and give this guy a shot. Its a shame that nobody is really pushing Kaeding to improve. :icon_evil:

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

We don't need another noodle leg.

:tdown:

3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Yaaaay!!! Kicker news!!! :eyepoke:

4. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    You know I agree; granted I think Kaeding's worst days are behind him; but bringing this guy in does send a message and make him stay on point. I think keeping this guy on the practice squad would be good; Kaeding has played hurt before but considering it's a long year a back up may be well worth.

Down play the kickers all you want but we have lost more games thanks to those scrawny bastards than I care to relive...

5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I dont have a problem with Keading

• Like Like x 1
  6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    My only complaint are his kickoffs result in better field position for the enemy

:tdown:

7. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    SCIFRES RULES!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    You know on second thought; you guys remember how far into the endzone the Panthers kicker was able to get week one last year; we didn't have one return because of him, I know he was a soccer player but forget his name.

There are plenty of college goalies that can boot a ball; **** our goalie in tenth grade could kick a football off a tee about 70 yards; Kaeding has gotten better but kickoffs are not his specialty; sometimes they are decent but more often than not mediocre.