1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

For the Chargers San Diego is Only Temporary

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by -Scar-, Aug 21, 2011.

1. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    [​IMG]

NFL teams just don’t relocate very often.

The strength of the league and its more level playing field - thanks to revenue sharing and a salary cap - mean teams just don’t move around much.

The last team to make a move was, ironically, the Los Angeles Rams. They moved to the Midwest in 1996 thanks to a huge number of incentives including a new domed stadium in St. Louis and went on to win a Super Bowl in 1999.

That left the second-largest television market without a professional football team. Los Angeles became the NFL wasteland it is today despite at one time having two teams (the Oakland Raiders spent 12 years in LA before taking their gang-member mindset back to the Bay Area and Oakland) and having been the home of three NFL-AFL teams.

One of those original Los Angeles teams was the fledgling Los Angeles Chargers. Original owner and hotel baron Barron Hilton, set up the Chargers as an original member of the AFL in 1960 playing just one season in Los Angeles. The Chargers advanced to the first-ever AFL Championship game losing to the Houston Oilers before deciding to move south to San Diego. They’ve been there ever since and continue to be the civic pride of the people in one of America’s 10th largest cities.

That will all change soon as the Chargers are all but set to move to Los Angeles at the end of the 2011-12 NFL season.

That’s not what they’ll tell you but this lifelong Chargers fan is embracing reality and making a prediction - which I don’t do often.

The Chargers, and their billionaire family owners the Spanos family, have been asking for a new stadium for years. And, by all accounts, the Chargers do need a stadium. The dilapidated Qualcomm Stadium is 44 years old and with the exception of Candlestick Park, is by far the most outdated stadium in the NFL. It has had a slew of renovations in the late 1980s and early 1990s to house the Super Bowl, but one visit to a Chargers game and another to a newer NFL stadium, it becomes clear the stadium has outlived its shelf-life.

Despite a legitimate need for a new stadium, the Spanos family will not pony up the majority of the money it would take to build a new stadium in San Diego. With communities all over the country voting to increase hotel or rental car taxes to build new palaces for their NFL teams, the Spanos family has asked the people of San Diego to help fund a downtown stadium for their franchise. I can’t say as I blame them but if you read any news at all, you know that the entire State of California is teetering on the brink of bankruptcy and cities like San Diego are more concerned with sewers and roads than stadiums. That makes the mood of the voter very hard to read and the chances a stadium be approved slim to none.

Meanwhile, the Anschutz Entertainment Group has forged ahead with a plan to build a new football venue in downtown Los Angeles. The plan calls for a $1.2 Billion dollar stadium to be build adjacent to the Staples Center and the Los Angeles Convention Center. AEG advanced the most serious attempt to bring the NFL back to LA when the LA City Council unanimously passed a Memorandum of Understanding to bring football back to the economically crumbling City of Angeles.

[​IMG]

The 68,000-seat roofed stadium would also be attached to a brand new $275 Million wing of the LA Convention Center. The uses outside of football make it more economically feasible and were a major reason why the Council was willing to sing the MOU.

All of this spells doom for the Chargers remaining in San Diego.

Although you’ll hear of possible moves by the moribund Jacksonville Jaguars, or new stadium-seeking Minnesota Vikings, make no mistake - the Chargers have been and will always be the prime target of AEG to move to Los Angeles.

The political argument on whether or not an NFL team brings economic development to a city who invests in massive stadium projects aside, based on a pure business argument, I can’t blame the Spanos family for moving. As much as I don’t like Los Angeles overall, as a Chargers fan I don’t at all fault them for moving north.

San Diego has always been a big city run by small-minded people. The area has been relatively unsuccessful at business development due to a massively high cost of living and a dearth of corporate opportunity. It’s a big city with a small town mindset. Economics always take a back seat to environmentalism and the internal struggle with growth. It’s lawsuit happy which almost put a stop to the beautiful Petco Park back in the early 2000s after voters approved the new stadium for the San Diego Padres.

San Diego has lost several pro teams over the past 50 years and the Chargers are about to join the NBA’s Rockets and Clippers as teams who look to cities with deeper pockets and more resolve. The economics, the corporate backing and the vision of leadership in Los Angeles mean the sleepy beach town of San Diego just can’t compete anymore. Chargers fans in San Diego love their Bolts, but the lack of view of the future by its leaders past and present mean those loyal fans are going to lose their team.

San Diego will be a one-sport town in just a few months.

It didn’t have to happen this way. Teams in much smaller markets have kept their teams without breaking the civic bank. But thanks to ineffective state and local leadership, the Chargers will move north at the end of this season.

As much as it will bother me to call them the LA Chargers, I’m OK with the move. If a $1.2 Billion stadium, and new resolve to win, create a better team and a Super Bowl Championship, so be it. With DirecTV and Sunday Ticket, and my move to the Midwest, it really doesn’t matter to me where my team plays any longer.

Still, I can’t help but feel a tinge of sadness for my old home. The Chargers were and are San Diego. And that heartbeat of a city is about to be ripped out.
    Call it another causality of weak leadership, a bad economy and a small market unable to do what it takes to stay relevant on a national level.

:link:

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-move-to-l-a-in-2012-would-require-a-miracle/

3. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Dammit.

Welcome to the Midwest...

4. Jennifer Searight

Jennifer Searight BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Wow! I just read the above post & I'm more outraged & confused as ever. If AEG is ready to break ground, or start building their new stadium in LA, then why is San Diego's Mayor & 3 others touring 4 possible inspirational stadiums? Why waste taxpayers money & their time to look at these stadiums? This is a rhetorical question. Case in point #2: LA had the Chargers, Rams AND Oakland & couldn't keep any of them!! I understand that players will go where the money is, but let me pose this question to you, how would LA feel if SD came there & offered millions for the LA Lakers?!!! You folks in LA would be in an uproar, as we are here in San Diego! Here's my FINAL word....LEAVE MY SAN DIEGO CHARGERS ALONE!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Wtf, I hate this

6. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    I know SD fans are pissed off... I know the feeling, it happened to me in '94 when my Rams left.

Hate to sound selfish but it would be a dream come true to see the Bolts in LA. I have made the 110 mile trip (each way) for YEARS, and to be able to make a trip that's fraction the distance in a nice, new stadium would be awesome.

I do hope the Chargers find a way to make it happen in SD (for the sake of the fans), but it just doesn't look like its gonna happen. In all fairness, the Bolts DID start in LA lol

7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    This article is BS. The folks over at AEG had some less than kind words for Mark Fabiani and the Chargers organization and this happened yesterday.

8. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Some variant of this article gets printed by any number of outlets any time ANYTHING happens in L.A. Since I can't do anything about it anyway, I refuse to listen to any of this alarmist bullsh_t until something is actually happening.

9. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Exactly. All these sports punditoids trying to say san diego should move or that the chargers are moving to LA. **** THAT!!!!! No fans want the chargers in LA and thats what counts. LA is full of raider fans. They hate the chargers, its part of their culture, how they grew up... a way of life. The chargers moving to LA isn't going to suddenly make them fans of their archrival. Maybe the stadium would be nice. I don't even doubt that attendance will be high. The thing is though, hows it gonna look when every game is sold out by raider fans who go to every game just to boo at the chargers. Its already bad enough here in SD with all sorts of measures to keep raiders fans out at raider games. They might as well move them to oakland in my view. It doesn't make sense. It would be like relocating the redsox to the bronx or moving the LA lakers to boston. We can't lose another sports team to LA(not that anyone really cares about the clippers)!!!

10. Jennifer Searight

Ratings:
    +1

11. Jennifer Searight

Ratings:
    +1
    What are you talking about that you can look past the incest????

12. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    This
    WTF?

13. D4L

D4L BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    The economics, the corporate backing and the vision of leadership in Los Angeles mean the sleepy beach town of San Diego just can’t compete anymore.
    Really?! Where was all this vison and leadership when the Rams/Raiders left the same year. I think it's all a bunch of BS. Nothing has been set in stone by LA. They still have an uphill battle to get the stadium financed and built. That means the City of San Diego, The County of San Diego and the cities within the county need to come together and get a plan in motion to keep the Chargers in SD. Building a stadium close to SDSU will also hopefully get the State to help out somehow. There are other sites and possibilities out there. I don't know why it's taken this long to even get the Mayor to take it serious. The cost of building a stadium should be cheaper now then it was a few yrs ago and the County would welcome the added construction jobs. I personallyl think using all or part of Montegomery Field for a stadium would benefit everyone. It's close to 2 freeway and building a trolley line there benefits that area. The infrastructure has less wear and tear then downtown and there will be room to tailgate. How many people use that airport anyways? There's still Gillipsie & Brown Field right? Just a thought. But hey if I can think of this why can't the politicians and the Powers that be come up with ideas too.

14. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
  15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,413
    I'm tired of all this useless speculation that only exists so journalists and pretend journalists on the internet can justify their jobs (or "jobs" for the latter).

If the Chargers move then I'll decide how to respond. But until anything becomes official they're still the San Diego Chargers and that's that.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It has been said many times, but non of those teams left because of fan support. The Raiders and Rams left to get a newer stadium, something some team will be getting in LA. Both the Raiders are Rams left LA fro the same reason the Chargers are rumored to be leaving SD, morons in political office who keep saying no, and moron voters who keep putting these idiots into office

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    CHURCH!

18. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    The Chargers are not looking like L.A.'s team.

All along, we've thought San Diego was the most logical team to go to the new Los Angeles stadium project, because the San Diego city fathers have balked at building the Chargers a new stadium -- or helping them significantly to build one. But the vibe between the Chargers and officials with the stadium project isn't good.
    Chargers attorney Mark Fabiani told ESPN it would take a "miracle'' to break ground in the next year for the AEG site in downtown Los Angeles near Staples Center. To which AEG point man for the project Tim Leiweke told the Los Angeles Times: "I think the problem with the Chargers is, [Fabiani] can sit here and talk about all the things we need to go through, but the last time I checked, they've been doing it for 10 years and they're nowhere. And the difference between us and them is we've got a guy [Phil Anschutz] willing to write a check for a billion. They've got zero financing, zero entitlements, zero design, zero deal with the city, and zero property that ultimately is not contaminated. Good luck."
    And he said the Chargers "are not the only belle at the ball."
    Interesting, to see the sniping between the two sides so many thought would eventually become partners. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Raiders take San Diego's place as the leader in the L.A. clubhouse, though Oakland has a sordid business history in southern California, and the Chargers have one thing the Raiders don't have: a quarterback (Philip Rivers) to put on billboards throughout Los Angeles.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/21/preseason.week2/index.html#ixzz1VmYNvgXs

19. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Wake me when AEG breaks ground on a new stadium. :sleep:

20. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    This is the quote from the guys over at AEG:

Chargers attorney Mark Fabiani told ESPN it would take a "miracle'' to break ground in the next year for the AEG site in downtown Los Angeles near Staples Center. To which AEG point man for the project Tim Leiweke told the Los Angeles Times: "I think the problem with the Chargers is, [Fabiani] can sit here and talk about all the things we need to go through, but the last time I checked, they've been doing it for 10 years and they're nowhere. And the difference between us and them is we've got a guy [Phil Anschutz] willing to write a check for a billion. They've got zero financing, zero entitlements, zero design, zero deal with the city, and zero property that ultimately is not contaminated. Good luck."

And he said the Chargers "are not the only belle at the ball."

Pointy

21. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    but the real problem is.....

San Diego has a team, what do they have?

22. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Good, find another team to move to LA. Chargers need to stay home. :abq2:

• Like Like x 1