1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

For the Old Guys: Worst DAY in SAN DIEGO sports history?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Sep 30, 2007.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I don't know if this is true but between the Padres losing and having to go to a playoff game and the Chargers giving up a victory, is this the worst day any of you guys can think of in San Diego Sports History

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I think 1998 was worse. Didn't the Padres get whomped by the Yankees in the WS right about the time Ryan Leaf was facking things up in San Diego?

3. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I would put 98 up there too, only difference was our expectations, they are way up there compared to the 98 team.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    For me, it was watching John Jefferson go to the Packers because our then owner Gene Klein was a tightwad slovenly dressed POS. :icon_evil:

5. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Watching Harland Svare attempt to coach..........:no:

6. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    The day earlier this year when they announced Norval Turner would be returning to San Diego as our Head Coach is right up there for me - that and they day they announced that Bambi was no longer going to be a Charger.

7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    How old is an old guy?

Surely Ant you remember 1998 dont you? You arent THAT young!:no:

There have been plenty of bad days in San Diego sports. This is just another and i agree with chargerdave....the day Norv and Ted were hired is right up there for me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I think in 1998, Ant was just starting high school or something. :icon_tease:

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Gene :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: pile of **** Klein? That one? That didn't bother me at all.

10. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    This could rank up there in the top 10. But, for me, although I don't care much for basketball any more, I was a huge fan of the Rockets when they were in San Diego. I still remember the pain and heartache when I opened the paper and read that the Rockets were moving to Houston. That one hurt.

The Chargers losing to the Oilers in the playoff game back in the Fouts era.

This is a definite low for San Diego sports fans. If I hear another Boston or Chicago fan whine about not winning a world series or any other BS, I'm going to gut them like a fish!!! If ANYONE has suffered with their sports teams, it's San Diego fans.

Now, let me go drown in my tears.

11. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    I think this is the most I've been depressed.

Between such high hopes for the Chargers.

Also the fact that the Padres just needed to win one of two between Sat and Sun and they were in.

There is a rally at 5, but the game starts at 4:30, so the rally is set up a bit late.

12. O'reilly

O'reilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +454
    Today was pretty bad...as bad as I can remember...how often have the Padres and Chargers BOTH had high expectations...and both failed miserably? And STILL waiting for our first MLB or NFL Championship :icon_finger: :eek:wned:
    (sorry...AFL Championship was nice, but I only count the NFL)...

San Diego Sports...an exercise in futility...

13. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    At the beginning of the month of September, I think people expected both to win consecutive division titles at the very least.
    :unsure:

14. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    I certainly did...but being a long time SD sports fan I shoulda known better...:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  15. piper66

piper66 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1

OH. I was going to mention Harland Svare. Those days where the worst.

I had a really bad feeling with all the stuff going on with Marty and AJ. Donnie Edwards too. Changing the whole coaching staff seemed like a horrible idea to me. I am no football expert but I get these feelings when coaches go here and there on how they are going to do and I am usually right. I didn't like all the pre season stuff that the Chargers where favored to go to the Super Bowl. I just didn't buy it. The players and the fans are frustrated. It is out of our hands. Can only hope something will change and the season will be turned around. It could happen :icon_eek:

Let's hang in there and hope for the best in the weeks to come.:icon_shrug:

16. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I feel bad for you "old guys" waiting so long to maybe finally see "something happen"...maybe go all the way only to have a promising season start like this...

Disappointing.

• Like Like x 2
  17. O'reilly

Ratings:
    +454
    :icon_eek:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Well, when you consider that some of us "old guys" were kids when the Chargers moved to San Diego and we've been waiting and waiting basically our whole lives for this team to be a real, NFL-caliber champion. And it just seems like it will never happen. San Diego is the biggest bust of a sports town you will ever find.

Not only are we continually disappointed by our teams, but the city is too gosh darn lame to even have pride enough to build a nice stadium. It's a loser sports town no matter how you look at it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    We may have lost more than just the game yesterday. This sucks so bad for all the reasons mentioned above, but we may have just lost the team. :bolt:

20. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    The Houston Playoff Game!

They came into our house with half thier starters not playing because of injuries.

They kicked our butts.

Then the holy roller!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Bum's boyz did it without their starting QB and without their starting RB ...and Fouts did the very same thing that Rivers did yesterday. Hmmmm....

22. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I feel for you...I'm still hoping to avoid the crash and burn...the hopeful, unrealistic, optimistic, stubborn side of me says there is still a chance...there is time to turn this thing around...I don't like to give up.

But I wish this damn team would just hurry up and win and make you "old guys" happy. :icon_eek:

23. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    But that game before this one was sure fun to watch.

24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    January 29, 1995

25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    That one wasnt as bad as the others.

We were told we were going to lose by 17, and we all just didnt want to believe it.

26. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Way to make excuses for them.

Biggest football game in San Diego history and we got SPANKED.

Tell me how that is not the worst? One game from glory and you get smacked back down into loserdom.

27. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    That game drained us. Winslow in that memorable photo of being helped off the field exhausted is something I will never forget. Double OT. Best game I have ever watched. :tup:

The loss against the Oilers still stings and I hate remembering that day 25+ years ago.

28. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Ouch Trumpet. I was young but do remember that. JJ was one of my favorite players. Cheap mofo didn't want to pay JJ. I loved Wes Chandler too but JJ and Joiner were just deadly back in the 80's.

But Yes, this is one of the worst sports weekends in SD I can remember other than 98 (Padres getting killed by Yanks, Leaf and Gilbride at the helm)

What will cap it off is if the Pads lose in Colorado today. Come on Pads! Salvage this weekend for us please!!!!! Go Padres, Peavy!!

29. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Yesterday was classic San Diego Sports...

The Padres are good and my expectation was a playoff birth and nothing more. The Chargers appeared to be extremely talented. I didn't like the Norval hire but I gave him the B of the D hoping he wouldn't get in the way and he would simply let the boys play. I guess as of now, that isn't working.

The fact of the matter is this. The Padres and Chargers have simply not been good enough in all phases to bring home a championship. To me it's really that simple. In most phases of the game, you must good (not great) to win it all. Currently, the Padres are a great pitching team and in most other phases they're poor. As for the Chargers, on paper, they're top notch. But, we are lacking in many phases right now regardless of talent. IMO the most important phase in which we lack is execution.

In the first half, LT was doing what he wanted on the field and Rivers was 7-8 at one point. We were very balanced and appeared to have a game plan. The rest of the game went down hill fast.

I watched Rivers and LT on the sideline during down time of the game. The only group that hung together was the OL. The skill players were spread out all of the sidelines with disgusted looks on thier faces. I saw LT walk off the field at one point shaking his head as if he had, had enough.

Very sad state of affairs @ Chargertown.

TBF