1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

For those that favor drafting two RB's.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by coachmarkos, Mar 3, 2010.

1. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Jul 12, 2009
    There are a few posters on this site that I've seen favoring this.

Most go something like this: Matthews/Dwyer in the first, and then someone like McCluster in the third.

The thinking here is we replace Sproles as well as LT.

Now, I'm just sitting here thinking...

With a plethora of bigger style backs in the draft: Gerhart, Blount, Tate, Dixon, Hardesty.

Would you do this?
    Best in the first. (replaces sproles..good kick returner.. home run threat)
    One of the other "big backs" in the third or 4th.

Just wondering what you think of this... I know Best is a risk with his concussions. I'm just not sold on McCluster, and if we went with 2 running backs (not saying that's what I'd do, but if it did happen) I'd favor Best and a mid round pick on a bigger back, than a big back early, and a mid rounder on McCluster.
  2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Jan 24, 2010
    I wouldn't. Personally, I would rather just sign Chester Taylor and draft a big bodied guy in the middle rounds. I wouldn't touch Best with a 10' pole. One or two more concussions, and his career could be cut short.

I would go Defense in the 1st 2 rounds, no exceptions
  3. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2006
    I still think we should either go NT or RB in the first round
  4. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Feb 10, 2010
    I actually think the best mix for a RB by committee system would be 3 backs but only a couple drafted. I don't like any of the vets that could be signed at all, not worth the cost, none are good in the locker room, and IMO most are past there prime, some by a large margin.

I have a question why would we spend the higher pick on the guy to fill in for what amounted to 20% of our previous tandum and wait and settle for a lesser talent for the main back in the previous system.

What I propose is wieghting the needs of each back. The General Purpose back who gets most of his work betwen the 20's and neeeds to be able to block and catch passes but his primary skill is running the ball inside and out. This is the guy we need to spend the highest pick on. Mathews would be ideal at 28 for that spot, but Tate or Hardesty would also fill that need. I think we need an additional jumbo back for short yardage and Red Zone type runs, a real bruiser like a Gerhart or Blount, even Scott with LSU might be an option. I though either of the first two guys would be avaiable to us in the 3rd or 4th round but first Blount had a GREAT Senior Bowl and flew up the board and then Gerhart did very well at the combine showing better than expected speed.

So now I wonder if either will still be there for us at 92 even.

If Sproles leaves my sugestion for a replacement change of pace back would be LaMarcus Coker who should be avaiable in the 7th round or as a UDFA. Check this kid out, he has the tools and would be a steal with no risk if if goes that late.
  5. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Dec 24, 2009
    I've been saying this for a while. I started with Best and Blount, but I'm liking Gerhart a lot more now after he ran the 40 in 4.53 and had a killer showing at the combine.

It's all a matter of who's still there when we pick. If we go NT in the first, I expect Best, Mathews, and Gerhart to be gone by the time we pick again. Ben Tate looks good.

I we get a draft pick for Cro or one of our RFAs, I say we draft Best and Gerhart. :abq1:
  6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

I watched Coker play both last year & this year. A lot of people like to scoff at DivIAA but the kid can play & is a serious burner. By all accounts his troubles that got him booted at TN are behind him.

Living in VA, I try to catch a few of the DivIAA games each year - Hampton, University of Richmond, occasionally William & Mary. When I consider the needs that we have on D & how close a lot of these guys are in production, RB becomes a 3rd round or later choice for me. If we pick up another 2nd in a trade, I might move off of that, but not otherwise.