1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Forget about Vincent Jackson, can we stop Doug Martin?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Nov 4, 2012.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    No, I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying and stating my opinion.

Sportscenter and everyone is hyping him up too. It was a great performance, but even poor-er from Oakland..

I'm more worried about Freeman than anything. He's been pretty damn accurate throwing the deep ball and looks like his 2010 self..

2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,175
    Isn't there supposed to be another one of those hurricanes or something about the same time in FLA that the Bolts are playing this Sunday?

3. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    The Turner led Chargers let Adrian Peterson run for 296 in '07, that record might be jeopardy this weekend, imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,722
    I believe we're top 5 in rushing defense this year, and no RB has ever broken 200 yards in back to back weeks, so I'll bet you it won't.

5. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    '07.. LOL.. I thought I visited the past too much, some people on here live in the past..

Can someone please quote me?

Doug Martin will not rush for over 100 yards this weekend against the Chargers. He will NOT have more than 120 yards combined this weekend against the Chargers. Thank You.

6. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    Guys, our team is built to stop Doug Martin from doing what he did last week. Our LB's are so much better than the Raiders, our D line is playing better than the Raiders, Weddle is a stud tackler in the open field, we have JJ who is a beast setting the edge, and Dougie Doug hasnt run like that against anyone else. That being said, if Cason is on VJ we got problems.

7. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    I won't say that the Chargers are going to shut down Doug Martin, but I do think the Bucs will exploit the Chargers weak secondary which would limit Martin's impact in the game....reminiscent of the late 90's (living in the past again) Chargers where teams didn't even bother to rush because they can pass at will... did it mean the Chargers are stopping other teams from running the ball? Absolutely not, it is just that opponents find it easier to score against the Chargers through the air rather than run the ball.

(And you are quoted)

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,500
    If we can't stop a hamster, then we are in trouble. ;)

9. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +73
    I believe we can. Obviously the raiders d line as a whole is more better/more active than ours but our d line is close to that. At points we are very disruptive in the run game. Our LBs are much better than the raiders so we should be able to stop him or at least minimize him to about 70 yards. Oh and we have a capable run stopper in Atari Bigby so we are prepared to stop him.

10. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +73
    Also guys one thing to factor in is the fact that everybody decides not to run on us cause our corners are so bad. Every game theres some point where the other teams just like whatever lets throw it on them. So that will help if we stop them early. Stop Martin early they might want to pass and from there we can blow their line up with Ingram and Philips and English and Barnes.

11. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +73
    Definitely no cason on VJ. Who the hell would put our worse corner/ starter/player on their best WR. Honestly I'd rather see Jammer getting smoked from line of scrimmage at times than see Cason playing 7 yards off and getting smoked on every route imaginable...not to mention he cant tackle...I hate Cason lol

12. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Cason on VJ is my biggest concern with this game!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I'm sorry but did you just say that English would have an impact in this game? hehe.

(and isn't Barnes injured?)

But yeah. There's always a chance the pass rush can get home. Even though it's been mediocre thus far.

14. boltfanatik

Ratings:
    +112
    English? is he still on our team?:confused:

15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I seriously do a double take every time I see 52 on the field and ask myself, "How the F is Carlos Polk still on this team?" Then I remember, and am less surprised and more sad.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Well with their 2 best OL done for this year we NEED to rush the passer on obvious passing attempts. That means more Ingram and YES people YES LARRY ENGLISH!

17. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +237
    At this time in the season it's never been about what the other team does but what we do. It's NORVember and I'm thinking we're slowly getting better. It won't be pretty but we'll show some composure that will bring back some lost fans.

VJ looks to be beasting(why did we let him go again?) this year for the bucs. I can imagine him having some motivation to do us bad. Hope we can at least slow him down.

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Well... get ready for it. Cason and Jammer play far more of a left CB/right CB than a CB2/CB1 setup. The Bucs have been lining VJ up on the left (which would mean he'd be lining up against Cason more often than not) pretty often.

Now wait for the part where I'm a little less worried with him lining up on Cason than on Jammer. Jammer's support over the top has been coming from Atari "I Never Met a Play-Action Pass I Could Resist Biting on like a greasy pork chop" Bigby, Cason's has been Weddle. But going a step further... look at VJ's actual stats this season - all he's doing is living off the deep ball. He's not catching short stuff and turning it into large gains, or even really catching much of the short stuff at all. He's compiling the bulk of his stats off deep-routes where Freeman airs it out and VJ brings it down. Now compare where the majority of Cason's big plays he's given up have come this season - blown tackles on short stuff turned into large gains and dumb decisions to cut a guy loose thinking he has cover over the top. The first is less of a concern with him lining up against VJ because Freeman isn't looking to VJ on the short stuff - Mike Williams has been getting most of the underneath and intermediate routes for the Bucs (a la all the stuff that was Mo Sanu's bread and butter at Rutgers last year).

Am I saying I expect Cason to completely shut down VJ or that I'm not worried that the later of those two monkeys on his back (poor decision-making and cutting his guy loose prematurely) will rear its ugly head? Hell no. At the same time, am I already chalking up Jackson to hang 200+ on us an Freeman to throw for 400? Hell no. Comparing our defense to that of the Raiders (even with the poor performance of both secondaries) is ludicrous. The Raiders haven't produced remotely close to the pressure up the middle we have this season (and yes, pressure is more than just sacks) and the Bucs are now playing with second-stringers at least 2 of their 3 starting interior OL spots (I'm not sure, but it might be all 3 by this point).

19. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,175
    Well, I'm all in favor of just letting them play the game, and by Sunday afternoon we'll see what shakes out of the tree...

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Adding favor to that argument, typically shaking the tree helps keep the bird from being able to crap on your head with any kind of decent accuracy.

21. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,175
    ^^^ That's why we wear hats...

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Tin foil?

23. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,175
    Only if there are aliens present...

24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,722
    Strange, but I almost don't even care that we play tomorrow.

25. boltfanatik

Ratings:
    +112
    Funny how you never post your feelings about the team or players but then again nothing can ever come back & bite you in the arse and be used against you;)

26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'm not watching the game. A German friend of mine is coming over, and we want to watch the game on the TV and drink some beers, rather than stream it on my laptop, so we're watching the Falcons game, which will be interesting, since I'm rooting for them to have a perfect season and he's a Saints fan.

27. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    I have this problem with 54 and Wilhelm, but then I remember Butler IS out there and im much happier.

28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,722
    I have a sight problem with 56 and Merriman, espescially when I see Butler line up on the edge and rush...which he's surprisingly good at.

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    So thus far the answer to the question is...

[​IMG]

30. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,231
    Martin and Jackson both were covered well.

I think the real problem is our D didnt cover Rivers.

• Like Like x 1