1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

forget VJ, Malcom Floyd is this years breakout reciever

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by chargeaway, Nov 12, 2006.

1. chargeaway

chargeaway BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Vj has yet to show us that he can get over all of his nagging injuries, meanwhile Floyd is showing us that he is a reliable target and a good red zone threat. With parker injured does this meant that he will now be the #2 reciever?

[​IMG]

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Well, VJ was in the game, and hasn't missed a game so far this year.

And VJ is called upon to do more blocking than Floyd, because he's a bigger dude.

But, yeah, Floyd is showing that ability to playmake.

From his acrobatic TD catch in the Pitt game, the "where is everyone?" TD catch versus the Ravens, to today's performance.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,880
    VJ isn't getting many looks
    I said back on the show that there's simply too many good receivers and not enough balls

4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FireReich #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +852
    Yeah VJ's number hasn't been called much. But at least he his contributing with his blocking.

5. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Ma'Foy isnt this years breakout receiver. He hasnt played enough to show it. But.....he is making strides. VJ should of had atleast 10 more yards on his the catch on the first drive. But, he was slow for some reason. Thats where speed kills this team, no one has break away speed.

6. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    yeah.... what's up with that? It looked like he was running in mud.

But VJ can catch the ball when it's thrown to him. I can't remember him even missing any passes that went his way. We're set at WR. I do really like Floyd, though.

7. chargeaway

chargeaway BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Does this mean that MF will be the number two reciever in this weeks game against denver? and how badly was eric parker hurt?

[​IMG]

8. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Im hearing day to day.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,844
    Floyd is doin well for us. I expect good things from VJ. Dont count him out yet.

10. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I think VJ will come up big with some local fan support spurrin' him on to big plays. I say he catches a TD against Bailey this weekend!!! Floyd has been awesome, and with those small Denver CB's we might pick on 'em in the red zome with a jump ball again. He was money against Cincy with that run after the catch play down the sidelines and the TD!!!!

11. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    That would be understandable but VJ was drafted for WR. He has been on the team since he was drafted. Floyd has spent the past what, 2-3 years on the practice squad? Why is it that a guy from the practice squad is getting more looks than the guy they drafted? Floyd appears to be the better WR.

12. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I knew Floyd was something special when I saw his touchdown catch in the pitt game.

That dude has got LEAPS !!! :bolt:

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Agreed.

Floyd is a player and catches everything thrown to him.

14. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Floyd has had more time in the system than Jackson. Both have a lot of talent and are much better after the catch than Parker or McCardell.

They don't run the short to medium routes with the same explosion coming out of the route that Parker and McCardell do but some of that has to do with size and twitch skills.

I hope to see the Chargers split the wr into a pairing that allows Floyd and either Parker or McCardell to start and one of the smaller wr again Parker of McCardell to run at the 3 wr slot.

That would keep a long ball threat on the field more often as well as improve the run blocking on early downs. My tea leafs tell me to expect that rotation sooner rather than later.

15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Hey, watch what you say about my boy VJ. :icon_evil: The dude has been a solid contributor this year, a real team player. He's blocked well, caught a couple of TDs and made some key plays. It was VJ's pick of a Bengal's defender that enabled Manu to score his first TD on Sunday.

No doubt, Floyd had a monster game on Sunday, but we must remember that he's spent most of two season on the practice squad, while VJ is only in his 2nd season and making a monumental leap from Division II to the NFL. In Floyd's second season in the league, he did not play in a single game and spent 12 weeks on the practice squad. He was inactive for the other four games.

A fair comparison would be to compare Floyd's 2nd season to VJ's. Let's see, in his second season Floyd had 0 catches for 0 yards and 0 TDs. Yeah, I think VJ wins that comparison.

You want to praise Floyd, fine. He deserves it after the game he played on Sunday. But don't you dare diminish the contribution VJ is making to this team. He's done everything the Chargers have asked of him, and that's why he's continued to see significant playing time.

16. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,516
    We saw that rotation on the first drive of the Ravens game, and Floyd caught a TD pass. I don't think we've seen it since. :icon_shrug:

17. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I would have to believe you on this! Everything they (offensive co-ordinators) have thrown his way he has passed with flying colors. They have to use him more and the Cincy game proved that. He is our BIG deep threat that we needed.:yes:

18. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    This alignment uses all our best weapons at WR (Floyd, Parker, McCardell).

Now use LT & Turner. Split LT into the slot running a skinny post or flip it to Turner and we have a money play all the way.

19. chargeaway

chargeaway BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4

Im not slamming VJ, I am simply saying that MF is producing almost everytime he gets looked at. VJ is contributing in the blocking game but he is not producing as much as MF in the passing game.

[​IMG]

20. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,516
    "forget VJ" is slamming my boy, and I won't stand for it!

BTW, I had already forgotten about Camarillo before I looked at your sig. :lol:

I agree with you about Floyd, and I'm excited to see VJ breakout, but it's far too early to "forget" him.

21. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    vinny also plays special teams. basically i seea bigger version of osgood, but maybe with better game speed. we'll see. but yo we cant forget the man, hes makin about 4x more $ than floyd is right? its for a reason

22. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,468
    VJ needs to get the ball more, with his size and punt return skills he can do some things after the catch.
    I wanna see Vjack/MFloy CHALLENGE Champ Bailey this week. I think physically they over power him, or at least take attention away from Gates.

23. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66

This was Floyd's problem early on as well. Most likely the reason he stayed on the practice squad so long.

24. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I remember seeing Floyd two seasons back in the last game of the year when the bolts sat most of the starters. I think it was the second half and Rivers threw to him in the endzone for his first TD pass..... Floyd made a good grab on that one.... And he also made a leaping, sideline catch on another pass, if I remember correctly. I thought at that time that he showed some real talent and I wondered why he wasn't used more last season. In fact, I think he was on the practice squad last year.

anyway, I'm glad to see the charger coaches finally recognized what seemed evident two years ago.

And VJ has glue hands, also. That catch in the Browns game where he was diving out of bounds and caught the ball just off the ground.... it was out of bounds, but still a nice grab. These guys both have "sticky hands"...... Well, so do I, but for a different reason....:icon_rofl:

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Floyd seems to have been one of Rivers favorite targets from the very start!!! We're going to have a hell of a recieving team when VJ and Parker return to action!!!!:bolt: :bolt: :bolt:

26. anger management

anger management Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6
    One thing I noticed about Vincent Jackson is the amount of time it takes for him to get off the ball. It's is ridiculously slow. Olivea gets out of the three point and in his kung foo fighting position before Jackson can get off the ball... and he's already standing. The kid definitely needs to work on his fast twitch reflexes or something.

We're gonna murder some donkeys this weekend. It's not even gonna be pretty...
    unless a donkey killed your family when you were a young child.

:bolt: