1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Forney appears to be set at RG

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee
    Union-Tribune Staff Writer
    9:28 p.m. August 12, 2009

SAN DIEGO -- The battle for the starting job at right guard is all but over.

Head coach Norv Turner confirmed Wednesday that rookie Louis Vasquez will not play in Saturday's preseason opener against Seattle. Having already missed a week of practice with a sprained left foot, Vasquez will have even less time to make an impression. So it seems doubtful he could overtake veteran Kynan Forney, who is having a tremendous camp.

“He had his best practice when things got speeded up,” Turner said of Forney. “He's very physical and has very good athletic ability.”

Forney, who returned to practice full-go Wednesday after having his neck jammed Monday, has been strong and mobile in camp. A starter for 88 games in Atlanta before the Falcons released him last September, Forney was always the front-runner. Vasquez was going to have to assert himself in exhibition games, something he'll get a late start on now.

“The way I look at (the battle) is, it's me against me,” Forney said. “I can't control what someone else does.”
    Vasquez, the team's third-round pick, had a great spring and began camp strong enough that it seemed the battle for the right guard job was going to be the most intriguing part of camp.

“He got off to such a tremendous start,” Turner said. “He was so impressive in what he did. That gives you hope. I'm disappointed he's missed reps.”

English doubtful for Saturday

Linebacker Larry English sat out Wednesday night's practice after tweaking his hamstring in the morning workout, leaving the first-round pick's status in doubt for Saturday's game.

English had worked the first four practices this week after missing six practices last week with the strained hamstring.

The injury setbacks are a pock on what has been an otherwise outstanding camp for English.

The learning curve for a rookie is such that it's never certain how much a player will be able to contribute until he's been in practice for a while. But English, the Chargers' first-round pick, has shown himself already to be a quick, consistent study.

“He seems to do the instinctive thing more often than not,” Turner said.

English will certainly be an added thrust in the pass rush, but he is also dropping into coverage and can play more than one specific role.

“He's responding very well,” defensive coordinator Ron Rivera said. “He's a bright kid. We're going to try to use him as the football player we think he is.”

Osgood's bid for more time

The ball that clanged off Kassim Osgood's hands in practice Wednesday was a rarity this camp. Osgood, a two-time Pro Bowler as a special teamer (yet afterthought as a receiver), has been getting open and consistently making catches, sometimes spectacularly so.

Whether that means any more playing time for Osgood in the regular season remains to be seen. He has been on the field on offense just a handful of plays and had just three balls thrown his direction the past two seasons. He has not caught a pass since Nov. 4, 2007.

Osgood is caught in a vortex of sorts, not only way behind Vincent Jackson, Chris Chambers and Malcom Floyd but also talented young receivers Legedu Naanee and Buster Davis.

“Kassim has had an outstanding camp,” Turner said. “But we've only got so many balls. I know Kassim can go out and play on offense. We've got some guys who have been around here two or three years we feel we haven't used enough. That complicates things.”

Preseason opener blacked out

Saturday's preseason opener game will be blacked out locally. The game will be shown on tape delay at 10:30 p.m. on KFMB Channel 8.

Wednesday night was just the fourth practice nose tackle Jamal Williams, 33, has sat out this camp. Before watching that workout, Williams had worked nine consecutive practices. That's a steep departure from the past few summers. Said Turner: “I love what he's been able to do. He's setting himself up to have an outstanding season.”

Darren Sproles missed Wednesday's practices to be with his fiancee for the birth of their first child.

Linebacker Stephen Cooper hasn't worked since spraining his ankle Saturday. He said he is “ready to go” and the team is being cautious.

Wednesday night was the final public workout of camp. Including Wednesday night's crowd of 10,526, more than 42,000 fans attended the three practices at Qualcomm Stadium.

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    How come we still played that stick Goff at RG last year then, if Forney is the dogs!?. Crazy.

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    and we signed him to a 4.8mil contract.

I agree, wtf??

4. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    Wasn't Forney coming off an injury for Atlanta?

and, Goff was the "old vet" of the line... I can see him keeping his spot for continuity of players who knew what they were doing...especially with Hardwick and McNeill missing the first part of the season last year. And it wasn't like Goff had stunk the season before... he did regress during the season last year.

5. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Had to be. Atl wouldn't have cut him otherwise. Pro Bowl Alt. couple of years ago.

6. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Goff was good for the bolt but little age and a year let forney heal so it was time to make the change, just hope it works out:icon_bow:

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Why have we declared a winner so early in this battle? Shouldn't forney at least show what he can do in a game or so before we declare him the winner?

8. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I think it's just that Vasquez has had a bit of a set back due to injury.

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Forney is showing well in camp and Vasquez is injured at the moment. Experience counts for a lot on the O line. Vasqez will see increased time as the season wears on, especially if Forney gets nicked, but Forney is solid and experienced, especially at catching blitz packages.

10. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Forney loving new home, new job

Casey Pearce
    Posted Aug 14, 2009
    After seven years in Atlanta, Kynan Forney signed with the Chargers last offseason and couldn’t be happier with the change of scenery he’s experienced.

Chargers guard Kynan Forney[​IMG] recently became a father for the fifth time. He’s fully healthy, he’s now part of an offense that finished second in the NFL in points scored a year ago and he lives in a place that’s dubbed “America’s Finest City.”

“What in the world could be better?,” Forney asks as a smile stretches from ear to ear.

Forney joined the Chargers last September after spending his first seven seasons of his NFL career with the Atlanta Falcons. He dressed three times in 2008 but didn’t see the field in his first year in San Diego, which was fine with him.

After a couple tough years in Atlanta dealing with two coaching changes and a couple of injuries, Forney had a competitive spirit last year but saw the benefits of watching and learning.

“Physically I feel like I’m in as good of shape as I have been for a long time,” Forney said. “Last year gave me a chance to heal up and get stronger while learning this offense. Now I’m ready to go.”

Forney also feels like his fire has been re-lit. The Falcons experienced back-to-back losing seasons in Forney’s final two years there, and that brought a tension at work that made life difficult on the Nacogdoches, Texas native.

“The last two years in Atlanta, I just didn’t like football and football is not a sport where you can get by if you don’t enjoy it,” Forney said. “I was glad to get out of there and I’m glad to be here. This coaching staff is great and they’ve really made my job fun again. There’s a lot of positive reinforcement from them and my teammates, and I’m really enjoying that.”

The play of the nine-year veteran shows just how much fun he’s having. With the exception of the time he missed while tending to his wife during the birth of their daughter last week, Forney has worked with the first-team offense throughout the summer and has pleased Head Coach Norv Turner.

“He’s a very, very physical player,” Turner said. “He’s got very good athletic ability. He’s started over 80 games in Atlanta and he played well there. He’s had a great camp.”

Forney, who was a Pro Bowl alternate and a hub of a line that helped the Falcons lead the NFL in rushing in three-consecutive seasons, is in a training camp battle with rookie Louis Vasquez[​IMG] to be the Chargers’ starting right guard this season. But Forney’s focus has been on what he can do, not what any other player is doing.

“When you go into camp you’re competing against yourself,” Forney said. “The first day everybody is feeling good but after that first week or so, you’ve got to push yourself. That’s the only thing I’ve thought about.”

With Forney’s change of scenery comes an offensive philosophy that’s a little different from the one he played in with the Falcons. As he explained, the unique skill set of former Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick made the Falcons’ game a little different.

“With Michael, we ran the ball a lot and when we did throw, we weren’t being counted on to locate guys and identify (fronts) the same way we are here,” Forney said. “I’m still working on the finer points of my pass protection with Coach (Hal) Hunter and it’s gotten better.

“I love this offense because I just get to come off the ball and play ball like I know how to. Plus, with so many playmakers, we feel like we can be a special offense. My job is a lot of fun and life is really good right now.”