1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Forum CPR...Bolts in USA Today. Fossil: Frank Reich = question mark

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fossil, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +276
    My biggest question mark is Frank Reich. I know the party line, that he intends to run Wiz's scheme with a few twists, but how does that scheme change on game day when the S4it hits the fan?

Chargers report: Bolts look to build on 2013 momentum
    [​IMG] Lindsay H. Jones, USA TODAY Sports 11:56 a.m. EDT July 11, 2014
    18 TWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE
    The San Diego Chargers will start the 2014 season with momentum after finishing as one of the hottest teams over the final month of 2013.

San Diego won its last four games of the regular season before upsetting the AFC North champion Cincinnati Bengals in the wild-card round.

The Bolts enter training camp with their roster mostly intact and second-year coach Mike McCoy no longer having to answer the questions about starting quarterback Philip Rivers that he had to last spring and summer.

"It's the majority of the guys' second year in the system, so (improvement) is going to come with time. The more comfortable you are, and when you've got a quarterback like Philip Rivers, good things are going to happen," McCoy said after the team's final offseason practice.

Though Rivers would argue he never really was in decline, 2013 marked his return to the upper echelon of NFL quarterbacks. He'll play for a new offensive coordinator (former NFL quarterback Frank Reich) this year, but the overall offense remains unchanged despite former coordinator Ken Whisenhunt's departure.

The defense should be improved with the return of pass rusher Dwight Freeney to pair with now-healthy Melvin Ingram. And the Chargers made two moves this spring to upgrade their secondary, drafting cornerback Jason Verrett in the first round and signing Pro Bowl cornerback Brandon Flowers after he was released by the AFC West rival Kansas City Chiefs.

The Chargers posed the most significant threat to the Denver Broncos in the division last season, and the defensive improvements were needed to help close the gap in 2014.

"I really like the football team right now," McCoy said.

Quarterback

Rivers was impressive last season, when he threw his most touchdown passes (32) since 2008 and fewest interceptions (11) since 2009, while matching his career-high passer rating of 105.5. There is no reason to expect a drop-off in his second season playing for offensive-minded McCoy. Rivers does have a new backup in journeyman Kellen Clemens. Former No. 2 Charlie Whitehurst followed Whisenhunt to the Tennessee Titans.

Running back

Ryan Mathews played in every game for the first time in his career (with 15 starts) and rushed for a career-high 1,255 yards. He played through injuries, too, proving he's tougher than perhaps he was given credit for earlier in his career. Mathews might be hard-pressed to duplicate those numbers, however. Former Indianapolis Colts first-round pick Donald Brown was given a three-year, $10.5 million deal in free agency to provide a spark off the bench and keep Mathews fresh. Pass-catcher extraordinaire Danny Woodhead will again be an important role player on third downs.

Wide receiver

Keenan Allen, a revelation as a rookie last year, should have extremely high expectations heading into his second season. It wouldn't be a surprise if he improved on his 71 catches for 1,046 yards and eight touchdowns. With the return of veteran Malcom Floyd, who missed most of last year with a neck injury, and the continued presence of Vincent Brown and slot receiver Eddie Royal, Rivers has a talented group of receivers with which to work.

Tight end

Whisenhunt's offense suited veteran tight end Antonio Gates, who had his most catches and receiving yards since 2009, even though his touchdown numbers decreased (from seven in 2012 to four last year). If Gates stays healthy, which he did last year, he will be a critical piece of the offense. Gates' production, however, could decrease in 2014 if Ladarius Green continues to improve. Green, entering his third season, averaged 22.1 yards a catch on 17 receptions and had three touchdowns in 2013.

Offensive line

The blocking was vastly improved last season. Rivers was sacked 30 times compared with 49 in 2012. The upgrade was due in large part to the play of tackles King Dunlap and 2013 first-round pick D.J. Fluker. The unit could make even bigger strides if it can stop playing musical chairs because of injuries. Dunlap, who suffered three concussions last season, is the key player to watch. The team re-signed guard Chad Rinehart, who is expected to start next to longtime center Nick Hardwick.

Defensive line

Defensive end Corey Liuget had offseason shoulder surgery, and he told The San Diego Union-Tribune that getting the injury fixed helped him build strength this spring. Liuget being healthy and stronger is good news for San Diego because he provides another pass-rushing threat. Solid third-year player Kendall Reyes will handle the left defensive end spot opposite Liuget, and Sean Lissemore is expected to man nose tackle in the team's 3-4 defense.

Linebacker

The Chargers will finally get to see the linebacking corps they thought they were getting last year before injuries left the group in constant flux. Freeney played in four games before suffering a torn thigh muscle, and fellow outside linebacker Ingram didn't return from the torn anterior cruciate ligament he suffered in offseason workouts until December. Perhaps the Chargers' most important offseason move was re-signing top-flight inside linebacker Donald Butler, who is paired with 2013 second-round pick Manti Te'o.

Secondary

Cornerback was a weak link last season, and the team made a considerable effort to improve there, starting with using its top pick on Verrett. But the bigger move came in June, when the Chargers pounced on Flowers, who gets two chances to play against the team that released him. Despite the Pro Bowl nod, Flowers had an off year in Kansas City as he dealt with nagging injuries. Even with those additions, the leader of the secondary remains Pro Bowl safety Eric Weddle.

Special teams

Kicker Nick Novak made all of his attempts in the final seven regular-season games and missed three times all season, and Mike Scifries remains one of the league's most consistent punters. With Allen, Royal and Woodhead, the Chargers have a dangerous group of kickoff and punt returners.

Coaching

McCoy led the Chargers to the playoffs in his first year as a coach, a stint that was so successful it led to the quick departure of Whisenhunt. McCoy's most important coaching move of the offseason was to quickly promote Reich, the quarterbacks coach last season, to replace Whisenhunt. John Pagano is in his third season as coordinator of a defensive unit that continues to make strides, and well-respected special-teams coordinator Kevin Spencer returns for his second season with San Diego.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...p-rivers-antonio-gates-ryan-mathews/12521891/

2. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    He comes from the same coaching tree, he's played the game at QB & been a very successful QB coach.

Not overly concerned. Remeber, McCoy is an offense-minded guy too. I'm more interested to see what Pagano will do with the added talent on defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,287
    Funny, Reich is one of the few people I'm not concerned about. Whiz was overly conservative...... as was McCoy. I don't expect to see that from Reich.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,137
    What I heard is that perhaps the carries would be cut back by about 5 a game, so it will be interested to see if the K-Gun comes into play.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,753
    What, the Bolts are going to be carrying gun on the field?????????:eek:

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,551
    Reich is a question mark but he's as ready as he'll ever be to step up, now whether he flies or crashes is up to him. The defense remains my concern even with all the upgrades as does King Dunlap - he played out of his mind last year far better than he'd ever been. Can he do it again?

7. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,753
    My biggest concern is Rivers. If he reverts back to bad habits it could get ugly. I lost hope with Norv and I sure hope Rivers isn't permanently damaged through association.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,287
    Are you serious?......... if so, that's troubling. :laugh:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,137
    How does an Offensive Tackle worry you on D? Are you talking the opposition D? Playing for the other team Ant?

10. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +276
    I agree. He's the man after mentoring under Whiz last year here and the year before in AZ. Solid hire, IMHO. We'll get to see how he does at game planning and play calling.

11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +289
    Seems to be another collection of already known/reported info about the charger off season

I will say the last time I read a USA Today article that was geared toward raising ?s about something nfl related, the topic of mystery then was Eric weddle and his draft chances.

Also agree Reich is one of the last things/persons I'm wondering about in 2014. Pretty sure we know what we have to expect of him. GO 2014 BOLTS!!!

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +431
    If Rivers is the biggest concern on this team then Superbowl here we come :abq2:

(your post seems a year old)

13. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,753
    Until I see the opening day teams ready for the kick, these stories are as useful as a scab on a dogs arse. I just want to see the Bolts make it through TC in one piece with a clean start. All the guesstimating in the world ain't gonna get it done, one day your're gonna have to git back on the horse.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,287
    And what exactly does any of that have to do with your rather dated and bizarre take on Rivers? Did you Rip Van Winkle through 2013?

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,753
    In my best H&B imitation. Well, you know, all of this ain't no skin off of my nose. Until something happens, nothing happened. Okay, I'm gonna go take a nap now. Don't forget to wake me up when something happens, okay?....

No disrespect towards the H&b show, they were great!!!!!.............