1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Four Biggest Changes In Our Season Turnaround

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by timepiece33, Dec 22, 2007.

1. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    1. The emergence of Antonio Cromartie

What a difference a CB opposite Jammer makes. For the past couple of years, we've seen teams take advantage of that side. Now, they can't and teams are throwing at both sides. We've been opportunists. It's nice to see a stable, steady Quentin Jammer paired with an electric, opportunistic Antonio Cromartie. IMO, we have the best set of CB's in the league right now.

2. The trade for Chris Chambers

Brilliant move by AJ. IMO, we has been a difference maker in our offense and opened up our running game/Gates. Without Chambers, we lose the Tennessee game.

3. The benching of Shane Olivea for Jeromey Clary

Probably the only mistake contract that AJ Smith has given out since he took his "take care of your own" philosophy. His level of decline this year was alarming and a big reason I believe we were struggling. Jeromey Clary has stabilized the right side. Maybe not the road grader you want at RT, but a good upgrade nonetheless.

4. Stephen Cooper going from good to pro bowl caliber

I know we saw the article on Wilhelm, but Stephen Cooper has flat out kicked butt since the KC debacle.

• Like Like x 7
  2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That's a real good analysis. Got to agree with those 4 why we are better than last year. I know there are others, but those are a good start.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Excellent post, please keep those comming. Also Merry Repmas!

4. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Spot on RC, spot on!

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Good post. Wilhelm and Weddle are in this mix as well. It would also be hard to underestimate how much Hardwick means to the O line.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And let's not forget the fact that both Norv & Teddy the Hut seem to have learned to trust our players & utilize their talents much more effectively.

7. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680

Good points, timepiece. I'd like to throw Special Teams in there as well. We are consistent in all phases. Coverage is much better than in recent years, Scifres is a huge weapon for us, as is Darren Sproles.

That's another byproduct of having quality players up and down the roster, thanks to AJ and our scouts.

8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    My only addition is this: The players decided to quit sulking and start playing. :yes:

9. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Teddy calling more blitzes and our pass rushers being more relentless has got to be a huge factor. Teams can't expose our crap starting safeties if their quarterback is on his *** in 3.0 seconds.

I can't wait for the playoffs!!!

10. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    It helps when they fully absorb and play the system. Takes the frustration out of the game, so they quit grousing once the team begins to click.

11. Quest4excellence

Quest4excellence BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Great post!. AC is the missing guy we've needed for along time. He looks for the ball and he is a play maker.

12. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    1. The coaches getting to know their players. Wade and Cam had a great understanding what their guys could do... Norv and Ted are getting there, and we can see the adjustments being made.

2. The young starters are "getting it"... especially on defense... by the playoffs, they'll be "seasoned"...

3. The leaders on the team did not quit... they found a way of putting their grievances aside, tightened down the chin straps, worked harder and said let's go...

4. Our second half schedule got easier... and we ain't done yet...

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
  14. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Great Post RC...As always, brief and too the point. I too would throw in our Special Teams. Even though they have been dependelble all season, they are one reason we have the chance to win 11 games.

15. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    heres my take on it.

1. Mike Scifres
    scifres has the BEST leg in the entire league, i dont think any coach in the league wouldnt want a guy whos pinned an offense inside the 10 somewhere around 30 times. now, it wasnt all scifres, hes got his twin, or helper, or whatever you wanna call him. that would be...

2. Kassim Osgood
    i know that we wouldnt have won the tennessee game if he hadnt stopped the ball on the one. he is a GREAT asset to special teams. scifres and osgood are a dynamic duo, and both are the playmakers of our special teams

16. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    heres my take on it.

1. Mike Scifres
    scifres has the BEST leg in the entire league, i dont think any coach in the league wouldnt want a guy whos pinned an offense inside the 10 somewhere around 30 times. now, it wasnt all scifres, hes got his twin, or helper, or whatever you wanna call him. that would be...

2. Kassim Osgood
    i know that we wouldnt have won the tennessee game if he hadnt stopped the ball on the one. he is a GREAT asset to special teams. scifres and osgood are a dynamic duo, and both are the playmakers of our special teams

17. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Me too. Scifres should be going to Hawaii. Sproles is fun to watch. Now, if we can just get PR's head and feet into synch, it would be just peachy.

18. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    OLIVEA WAS HURT!!!

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

YOU ALL WAIT, HE'LL BE BACK!!!

PS.

The biggest turnaround was the return of Hardwick

:yes::yes::yes:

19. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Are you a Razorbacks fan?

20. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Olivea is 20 pounds of **** stuffed into a 5 pound bag.

AJ is gonna smoke his fat *** this off season. :yes:

21. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    From what I've seen I'd think it would be:
    1) New coaching staff getting to know it's players
    2) Players changing their mental outlook and realize they must motivate themselves.
    3) Offensive lineplay is better.
    4) Better play at ILB and CB (thanks to Cro starting)

22. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    heres a better one.

1. the chargers are doin their thing, and when we do our thing, nobody beats us.

23. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Olivea is hurt. That's fine. It explains part of the drop off, though I never really believe he was suited to be the RT. I notice we are putting him at OG a lot. The upgrade to Clary is a big reason for our improvement from this year.

I love what I see out of Siler and Osgood on Special Teams. IMO, we have two guys who deserved pro bowl consideration. That, however, has been strong all year. Steve Crosby has probably been our best position coach :yes:

24. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

Olivea's problem is attitude, not talent. He got fat and lazy after cashing the $5 mill he got from SD this year.