1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Fourth and 29

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SayOw, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +307
    The Chargers are losers plain and simple. Losers make excuses, winners win the game, plain and simple.

2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    It was the perfect storm and by no means am I absolving our guys from blame - because they deserve plenty. But you consider all the things that lined up in their favor on that:
    - We drop into mega-prevent (rush 4, drop everyone else to the marker - and you look at how long Flacco took trying to find someone to throw to before dumping off... we had their downfield receivers blanketed)
    - Rice has easily 10-12 yards to get up to full speed before he even encounters a defender coming from upfield to try and make a tackle.
    - Among those defenders are Andrew Gachkar (who last saw actual defensive snaps in the preseason... against 3rd stringers), Corey Lynch, etc.
    - Our guys - save for Weddle - all seemed to press the panic button simultaneously. Literally, everyone converged on Rice where he was rather than working in tandem to corral him.
    - Weddle comes in from damn near the other side of the field and gets creamed by an illegal block... and still gets a piece of the runner.
    - Refs don't flag the penalty on Boldin, but do give an incredibly generous spot. Review it till the cows come home, determine that the initial spot was incorrect and that Rice is short even though they still give him a generous spot. Harbaugh challenges the placement of the chains (is this even challenge-able? or if it is, isn't this something that ought to have been challenged prior to the snap given that it affects both sides in how they set up for the play?). Somehow that's determined to be the case and miraculously the first down that wasn't is made to be.

At this point it's just straight up comical. When we go down we don't just go down in flames... not just some dumpster fire... we're a cherrybomb that blows up a toilet that sparks the asbestos and turns the entire building into the towering freaking inferno that then spreads to the orphanage next door, burns it to the ground, and leaves a hundred kids homeless at Christmastime. :roflmao:

3. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Clark Judge:
    The Ray Rice catch-and-run. You've seen the play a zillion times by now. It's fourth-and-29, Baltimore trails by three and the Ravens are down to their last gasp. On the Baltimore sideline, linebacker Terrell Suggs admits he was "thinking we needed a miracle," and it's his lucky day. He gets his wish. Rice catches a short pass over the middle, weaves around and through San Diego defenders and somehow, some way, gains 30 yards for a first down to set up a game-tying field goal. Only he didn't. Not from where I was sitting, he didn't. Replays seemed to show that Rice's knees were down just as the ball crossed the San Diego 35, leaving him short of a first down. Referee Gene Steratore, however, spotted it at the 33-and-a-half, moving it closer to the 34 after watching replays. But he still kept it inside the hash -- a yard beyond where it should have been. San Diego was incensed, and it should've been -- at itself. There's no way there should have been a replay of anything when it's fourth-and-29, but the Chargers were in the giving mood. So they allowed Rice to go 28-and-three-quarters yards ... only officials made it 30. A mistake?

"The thing I always say with progress plays with relation to first downs," said Pereira, "is that unless there's clear evidence of a definite line, it's hard to move the ball. I can make a case for having his knee short of the line, but I can't prove it. I guess I might wonder why they moved the ball when I'm not sure where there's a spot to move it to."

The call took nine minutes to sort out, which Pereira rightly described as "ludicrous." Replays are supposed to be handled within one to two minutes. Granted, there were injuries that occurred on the play (the Chargers' Eric Weddle suffered a concussion when he was hammered by Anquan Boldin) that slowed everything down. But the time it took to sort this out tells me something ... and it tells me officials weren't sure what they were seeing.

"I guess my questions would be: Why did it take so long?" said Pereira, "and why did you move [the ball]?"

When officials first signaled a first down, the crew in charge of the sideline markers moved them 10 yards forward, something critics said affected -- and corrupted -- the later measurement. Not so, said Pereira, because there's a clip attached to the chain that sits on a yard line, and it isn't removed until the first snap of the subsequent series. That tag would've allowed for officials to relocate the chains accurately, which they did. But it's not the placement of the chains that was in error; it was the placement of the ball.

There was also a contention that Boldin clipped Weddle on the play and should've been called for the foul. "No way," said Pereira.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/c...he-chiefs-whats-gone-wrong-with-nfl-officials

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    If you look at almost every play in the NFL, the refs can throw a flag. The refs were letting the players "play", so I am pretty sure the Chargers got away with a few "non calls" also.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,780
    Like I said, the play should never have gone on that long to begin with.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Rivers should have been able to achieve a first down in the fourth quarter. That would have sealed the game as well. But it didnt happen, the play did go on that long. A lot of blame to be spackled around if you are not caught up in man love.

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    you are correct, some of those guys looked like the keystone cops when they were trying to tackle.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,780
    If only he could run!

9. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +516
    Mathews was having a good day running the ball, but alas...
    Marv decided to abandon him when it counted. <Shocker!>

Three pass attempts, three and out...punt.
    Because of this feeble offensive set of downs, we all got to
    witness...."the play".
    Norv deserves what's coming to him...and he sees it...

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    He lumbers...;)

11. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +913
    I was talking to my friend right before that play. I said "if any team can f*ck up a 4th and 29, it's us." Then it actually happened and I said "I was just joking! F*ck!"

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +913
    Um...have you seen the sh*t people tweet? Calling them literate is a stretch.

13. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +913
    I know it might sound cool to say sh*t like that, reasons aren't always excuses.

14. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +913
    Was Rivers out there by himself? Dudes have to block, dudes have to open holes, dudes have to get open, dudes have to catch the ball. Perhaps the CHARGERS should have been able to achieve a first down, but most of the time I saw Rivers with almost no time, and Mathews running into people's backs because there was nowhere to go. O-line sucks, and the rest of the offense sucks because of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +479
    Maybe just should have said that one uses letters the other pictures. People put those letters together like yelper monkeys most of the time.

• Agree Agree x 1