1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Fourth and Long: Bad Karma in San Diego

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Fourth and Long:
    Bad Karma in San Diego

by Joel 'DiG' DiGiacomo
    Football for Breakfast

October 3, 2007

I admit it. I've been enjoying the melodrama of the San Diego Chargers this year.

First the hubris of general manager A.J. Smith in firing a coach who had just gone 14-2. Sure Marty Schottenheimer hadn't won in the playoffs, but his losses were truly heartbreaking, last-second affairs that legends are made of.

The Drive. The Fumble. John Elway.

His two Chargers playoff losses were by three points each.

Three points.

And both games could have been salvaged by last-second field goals. Last-second field goals missed by All-Pro kicker Nate Kaeding. He missed a 40-yarder that would have won the game against the Jets. And a 54-yarder against the Patriots to tie. Imagine what the Chargers would have achieved if Kaeding had hit either of those kicks.

Of course, the same could be said for Scott Norwood and the Buffalo Bills.

Just think of it, the World Champion Buffalo Bills.

But back to the Chargers, A.J. Smith and his ego.

Smith has carefully and successfully fostered an image in the media of being a brilliant judge of talent. So much so that he has been able to leave the impression that he is more responsible for the Chargers success last year than the coaching staff. Smith honestly believes that Marty had nothing to do with the Chargers winning last year.

In fact, it seems he believes that a coach who kowtows to the all-mighty GM would have more success than someone with 200 career victories. How dare Marty disagree on such personnel decisions as getting rid of Drew Brees, Donnie Edwards or hiring Ted Cottrell as defensive coordinator.

Just think if Norv Turner, with a career 58-82-1 record, won a championship. What would simultaneously validate A.J. Smith and invalidate Marty Schottenheimer more than that?

So I eagerly watched the Chargers this season to see if A.J. Smith might get some well-deserved comeuppance, at least temporarily. I mean the Chargers are loaded with talent. Norv Turner couldn't possibly keep that Ferrari in neutral for the whole season, could he?

CUT TO: Act One - Week One.

ME
    What an ugly 14-3 win over the Bears.

CHARGERS' APOLOGIST
    Well, the players are still learning their way under a new set of coaches, but the defense looks great.

CUT TO: Act One - Week Two

ME
    The Chargers lose by 24 points to the Patriots! A primetime blowout made all the more resounding because the Chargers shot their mouths off before the game.

CHARGERS' APOLOGIST
    The Patriots played a perfect game because of the 'Spygate' accusations. Anyway, no one believed the Chargers were going to go 16-0. Wait 'til next week.

CUT TO: Act One - Week Three

ME
    A stunning loss to the Packers.

CHARGERS' APOLOGIST
    The Packers have a great defense and Brett Favre is a crafty veteran. But wait 'til next week. The hapless Chiefs are coming to San Diego.

I was content. It was a nice opening to the season. I got to razz A.J. Smith for a couple of weeks. But there was no way the Chargers would lose at home to the Chiefs. One win and all would be well in San Diego again.

But a funny thing happened on the way to the Q.

The Chiefs won.

Not only did they win, they scored 24 unanswered points in the second half and embarrassed the Chargers 30-16.

And A.J. Smith got to listen to the final 3:41 of the game as the San Diego crowd cheered.

Marty! Marty!

Don't you just love karma?

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    The blame falls squarely on the front office. We needed a good coach, we didn't take care of business in time to get one. We all bought the company line. Good players aren't what win games - good teams are. A good coach is required in order to have a good team. Maybe we had a better coaching staff last year than we thought? Not good enough of course, but better...

3. Edgar

Edgar BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Well said.

4. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    It would be damn funny if it wasn't our team. Everything he said is right on.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886

It would even be more funny is we went on an 11 game win streak. Say it can't happen? I witnessed it, and yes it was the San Diego Super Chargers that did it. What a rush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11:bolt: :tup: :icon_toast:

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Dean should have fired Marty when we had a chance to promote Wade to HC.

I blame Dean.

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    As the saying goes:
    "Karma sucks when it's kickin' your ***"

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Shoulda, woulda, coulda

Moving on. Lets win some ****ING games!

9. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    This chargers team could turn it around in a second if just the right things fall into place.

Getting the o-line to block better and be more solid. And if the center of our pass defense could all of a sudden be able to cover. Here's to hoping. Someday, someway they're gonna get this machine to work right.

10. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    In hindsight that would very probably have been the best thing. Hard to say at the time why they were not being decisive with marty on what to do with him. Which left the door open for all the coaches and assistants to high tail out of here not having any security.

11. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I for one am praying for a rocky mountain boulder to fall on Cottrell so we can get this defense back to its 2006 glory days!!!