1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Fourth quarter is Rivers’ time

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006

Casey Pearce
    Posted Sep 18, 2009

Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers delivered his 10th fourth-quarter comeback last week in just his 49th career start.

If Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers had things his way, San Diego would have a comfortable lead late in every game, canceling the need for last-minute heroics like Rivers delivered Monday night in Oakland. But with the nature of the NFL, he realizes such scenarios aren’t frequent.

“It’s a fourth-quarter league in a sense of so many games come down to a touchdown or a field goal in the last two minutes,” Rivers said. “Fortunately we’ve been successful in fourth quarters.”

Last Monday, Rivers led the Chargers to his 10th fourth-quarter come-from-behind victory in just his 49th career start. He went 10-for-12 passing for 144 yards and a touchdown in the final frame, including a 6-of-7 mark on the game-winning drive.

“People talk about quarterbacks that handle pressure and respond and lead their team from behind, I don’t know I’d want anyone else doing it,” Turner said. “He’s done it continuously. He’s done it in some real difficult situations like (Monday).”

Rivers posted a 144.4 fourth-quarter passer rating Monday and finished last season ranked second in the NFL in fourth-quarter passer rating with a mark of 111.7.

“I think it’s the extra focus he has,” Tomlinson said. “At the critical time of the game when we need a play, his focus is second to none.”

When asked about his late-game prowess this week, Rivers deflected attention. He cited the fact that his offensive line kept him clean late in the game Monday and he got clutch catches from Antonio Gates[​IMG], Vincent Jackson[​IMG], Legedu Naanee[​IMG] and Darren Sproles[​IMG] before Sproles raced into the end zone for the game-winning score.

“It takes a lot of us to get that done,” Rivers said. “Our guys up front were awesome and guys just kept making plays. If the situation calls for it, hopefully we’ll be able to do it again.”

L.T. out

For the first time in nine NFL seasons, Tomlinson will miss a regular-season game to injury.

Tomlinson, sprained his ankle last week at Oakland, is one of three players listed as “out” on the Chargers’ Friday injury report. Center Nick Hardwick and defensive Travis Johnson end will also be sidelined this week.
    With Tomlinson down, Darren Sproles and Michael Bennett[​IMG] are expected to carry the load at running back. Sproles scored the game-winning touchdown last week, and Bennett’s play this preseason made the Chargers feel very good about their depth at running back.

“Michael is a pro,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “He’s been there. He obviously showed during the preseason that he’s still got the explosiveness, the elusiveness. He did good things. It wasn’t a deal where he was in there in the third quarter against someone’s third defense. He was in there against ones and made some plays. He’s excited about the opportunity.”

Fifth-year pro Scott Mruczkowski[​IMG] will start at center in place of Hardwick.
    In addition to the three players listed as out, linebacker Antwan Applewhite[​IMG], guard Louis Vasquez[​IMG] and defensive tackle Jamal Williams[​IMG] are questionable. Defensive end Jacques Cesaire will make his debut after missing last week, but Vasquez’s condition could force the Chargers to activate just seven offensive linemen again this week, something Turner said Tuesday he’d rather not do.

“He may be a guy that is capable of dressing and being a backup, he may be a guy that’s capable of starting or he may not be able to play,” Turner said.

Familiar face

Rivers said Wednesday that his mind is a little preoccupied with Baltimore’s defense, but he’s certainly looking forward to reuniting with the man that runs the Ravens’ offense.

Baltimore offensive coordinator Cam Cameron spent five years in the same position with the Chargers and tutored Rivers during his first three NFL seasons.

“I think he had a hand in where I amtoday,” Rivers said. “Certainly the first couple of years here he taught me a lot and I was able to grow as a player. We have a real good relationship, so it’ll be good to see him more than anything.

Cameron told the Baltimore Sun that he’ll be glad to see some old friends but his focus has been on the game, not nostalgia.

“I had a lot of great memories there, but ... it's still just another football game," he said. “You've got to go out and play well and try to win the game.”

Turner was as happy as anyone Friday when the team announced that Sunday’s game is sold out. He’s looking extremely forward to hearing Chargers fans in the team’s home opener.

“Playing at our stadium is big for us,”
    Turner said. “Using our home field advantage, using the enthusiasm of our crowd, the energy of the crowd and us doing the things to get our crowd revved up, that’s important.”

The Chargers still have approximately 4,000 tickets remaining for next week’s game against Miami.
  2. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2008
    I never worry about Rivers it's everyone else I worry about.:bolt:
  3. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Dec 17, 2007
    Let's just hope the game isn't out of reach in the 4th quarter....
  4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Aug 3, 2006
    The offense needs to be very consistent and really productive from here on out, at least until Martin and Nwagbuo grown into the job. They can't have any off games or get cold. The seem to have the talent and attitude to do it. Now we will see if they really are up to it, AJ.