1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Fouts is taking aim at one final completion for his former coach

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by chargerlipz, May 14, 2009.

1. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Hell Yeah! That era ruled! :flag:

3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
  4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    You won’t get any arguments from any of us.

Don Coryell needs to be enshrined as soon as possible.

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
  6. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074

It sure was fun going to those games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I became a Season Ticket Holder for the 1980 Season.

I got out of the Air Force in August 1979, and with my brother attended 7 home games in 1979. when we took the AFC West after beating Denver on Monday Night Football, we never left the Stadium that night, we jumped right in line and spent the whole night in line to get playoff tickets! My boss wanted to know why I did not call in the next day, my response was, that I had waited all night in line, did you want me to lose my place in line, he asked me if I got them, I said yes. He never said another word.

7. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
  8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Coryell is one of the finest minds the NFL has ever had - it's a true travesty that he's not already in the HoF!

There is a list on the HoF website of all the writers who can vote and where they work and what city they represent... I wonder if it would help if we were to send them all an email or a letter of support for DC's induction? Some sort of email, phone, letter campaign could help! I can source all the email addresses, mailing addresses and other contact info for the voters if there is enough interest :yes:

9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I would be up for it. :yes:

10. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074

I am all up for it, but lets do it with class! We do not need to make them mad.

11. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Of course.. they're locked in my heart. Dan and Don brought me to watch american football. Coryell deserves strongly being inducted to the hall of fame. And I wish Norv Turner
    and Philip Rivers one step more to fit in their shoes.:tup:

12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    A little research on this before we start out.

Who are all the coaches he has had underneath him that are in the HOF.

How many players did he have play for him that are in the HOF.

Some of those Offensive stat's numbers.

The only Coach to win 100 Games at the College and the Pro level.

We need to sound like we know what we are talking about, but lets not just do one letter and have eveyone sign it.

13. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    that should be enough in and of itself!!

:tup:

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    #341!! :icon_toast:

15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    my bad, he was the FIRST Coach to win 100 Games at both levels

16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Coryell's direct development of future coaches included Super Bowl head coaches John Madden and Joe Gibbs, Super Bowl offensive coordinators Ernie Zampese and Al Saunders, as well as Jim Hanifan and Rod Dowhower. Adding to the Coryell coaching tree, Super Bowl offensive coordinator Norv Turner tutored under Zampese, and another Super Bowl offensive coordinator Mike Martz studied under both Zampese and later Turner [10]. Dan Henning coached under Gibbs.

Fouts says, "He influenced offensive and defensive football because if you are going to have three or four receivers out there, you better have an answer for it on the other side of the ball. If it wasn't for Don, I wouldn't be in the Hall of Fame [11]."

In John Madden's Hall of Fame induction speech, Madden mentioned his time at San Diego State "with a great coach that someday will be in here, Don Coryell. He had a real influence on my coaching. Joe Gibbs was on that staff, too[12]."

Gibbs also lobbied for Coryell's induction into the Hall of Fame, stating "(Coryell) was extremely creative and fostered things that are still in today's game because he was so creative. I think he's affected a lot of coaches, and I'd like to see him get in. [13] "

"Don is the father of the modern passing game. People talk about the 'West Coast' offense, but Don started the 'West Coast' decades ago and kept updating it. You look around the NFL now, and so many teams are running a version of the Coryell offense. Coaches have added their own touches, but it's still Coryell's offense. He has disciples all over the league. He changed the game," adds Martz [11].

Winslow points out that Coryell had an indirect hand in the 49ers', Washington Redskins' and St. Louis Rams' Super Bowl teams. "They call it the West Coast offense because San Francisco won Super Bowls with it, but it was a variation of what we did in San Diego. Joe Gibbs' itty-bitty receivers on the outside and two tight ends in the middle, (that's) a variation of Coryell's offense in San Diego. It's just a personnel change, but it's the same thing. When the Rams won their Super Bowl, it was the same offense, same terminology. For Don Coryell to not be in the Hall of Fame is a lack of knowledge of the voters. That's the nicest way that I can put that. A lack of understanding of the legacy of the game. [14] "

However, the fact that Coryell's teams never made it to a Super Bowl might keep him from the Hall of Fame, though certainly many players have made the Hall without doing so.

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I heard a funny story about Coryell.
    He was known for making certain faces when he was in deep though at the sideline. Something like this...
    [​IMG]

Well a former g/f told me that she saw him looking at bed sheets at Sears and he had this same facial expression...
    [​IMG] :lol:

18. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807

Absolutely - Great idea h8er! The more knowledgable and less "fan girlie" we sound, the more impactful our efforts will be. Accurate, concise, personal and polite letters/emails are key. I'd definitely suggest putting a personal memory in about the magic of Air Coryell for those who were able to witness it personally. I was still in utero during the Miami game with Kellen being carried off the field :( so as you can imagine I only know what I've seen on tape, read or heard. But I know a lot of you have some really amazing tales to tell. :yes:

This weekend I will pull together all the contact info, I think there are something like 44 or 45 voting members IIRC. Stay tuned :)

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    There will never be another Don, he was the ****. At every level he coached, no one wanted to play his teams. They kept coming at you no matter the score. deal with it or lose, that's how the man played. He should be in the HOF, no question about that. :tup:

• Like Like x 2
  20. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    co-sign:tup:

21. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074

I was starting to look at the season records of Bill Walsh and John Madden and Joe Gibbs and then where does Coryell fit in amongst those guys. We all know how they did in the post season.

22. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Good for you Dan :tup: That era in Charger history or NFL history for that matter was the single most enjoyable to watch...EVER! A poll was taken back then, that win or lose, the Chargers team was the most fun to watch. Duh :icon_rofl: