1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Fouts to Commentate for the Atlanta Preseason Game this Weekend

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Aggieman, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Aug 14, 2008
    Familiar voice to announce game

Chargers Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Fouts will serve as the color commentator on CBS’s national broadcast of Saturday’s Chargers-Falcons game, the first of several Chargers games he’ll call this year.
    When Dan Fouts steps back into the NFL broadcast booth Saturday night, he’ll have the challenge of remaining unbiased while calling a game involving the team where he produced a 15-season Hall of Fame playing career.

On top of that, the team for which Fouts holds every major career passing record is coached by one of his best college buddies, a man Fouts has been close with for more than 35 years.

But Fouts, who enters his 23rd season behind the microphone and is the son of a broadcaster, sees the “challenge” as just part of the business.

“I’ve been in this situation before and I just try to call it as I see it,” Fouts said. “Then apologize afterwards if I have to.”

The six-time Pro Bowler and three-time Chargers MVP will serve as the color commentator alongside Greg Gumbel on CBS’s national telecast of Saturday’s Chargers-Falcons preseason game. He also has been assigned to call San Diego’s first two regular-season home games, contests against Baltimore and Miami in Weeks 2 and 3, respectively, with Dick Enberg.

Fouts’ return to the NFL after spending the last seven seasons calling college games for ABC will allow him to cross paths with dozens of friends he’s made over the years, including Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner, who was Fouts’ backup at the University of Oregon. During his time at ABC, Fouts regularly covered games involving his beloved Ducks, and he sees his upcoming Chargers assignments as very similar situations.

“I have relationships all around the league that date back quite a few years,” Fouts said. “It’s special to do a game in San Diego but I can’t be rooting for them, at least not on the air. I can certainly enjoy their successes, though. I’m especially looking forward to this year with it being the 50th anniversary year for the AFL and all of the celebrations the Chargers have planned.”

Fouts and Turner spent time playing golf together in Oregon this summer and chat on the phone every few weeks. The Hall of Famer admitted he holds a few good stories on Turner but he joked that he couldn’t share any because “he’s too good of a friend and what I think is funny may not be funny to him.” However, Fouts didn’t mind patting Turner on the back for the job his friend has done with the Chargers.

“I think he’s got the team right where they need to be,” Fouts said. “They are a consistent contender, a consistent winner and they have given hope to all Charger fans that one of these days real soon that they are going to hit the big time.”

As soon as Fouts’ playing career ended in 1987, he joined CBS and spent six seasons calling NFL games. He’s grateful for the opportunities he had in the college game, particularly working beside the legendary Keith Jackson, but he’s thrilled that his football afterlife has now brought him full circle.

“I enjoyed what I was doing with ABC and being able to work with Keith was phenomenal,” Fouts said. “To get back with CBS where I started 23 years ago, it’s very rewarding. And now to be able to work with Dick Enberg, another one of the all-time greats, I’m extremely happy.”
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Nov 11, 2007

I have been wishing for this for sooo long! It always drove me nuts having to watch Aikman call Dallas games or listen to Dierdorf (barf) but now we get Danny! Wooohoo!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

I'll probably get the Atlanta announcers. :tdown:

So far I've gotten the Seattle & AZ announcers. Both sucked. :yes:
  4. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2007

Yep, it sucks. Last year NFL Network switched commentating teams at half time, I have no clue why they're not doing it this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2006
    It's because they didn't hold anything back!
  6. Kwak

Kwak ....

May 25, 2006
    That crap on NFL net was bad. Those guys sucked in a major way.
    • Like Like x 1

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2006
    always loved fouts as a player, respected him as a broadcaster, he always has some insight from the player perspective and doesn't seemed biased as the hater Dierdorf
  8. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2005
    This news is very cool.

I met him once several years back when he was a sports broadcaster in the Bay Area. He was very cordial and signed whatever I gave him to sign. I think it was a Gameday Program.:tup:
  9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Aug 15, 2006
  10. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2007
    I really miss Dan. Those were the days!

11. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Sep 9, 2006
    Fouts and Aikman are both excellent in the booth. Informative with very good voices and deliveries for TV. With Jaws I would say these are your top 3.

At this point I have lost any hate I have for Aikman being a freaking Cowboy.
  12. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Sep 5, 2007
    No you won't.

This is a nationally televised game being done by a CBS crew, not the Chargers or Falcons local broadcast teams. Everyone gets Gumble and Fouts.