1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Fox says Chambers is worst of starting WR

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by WonderSlug, Oct 16, 2007.

1. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    In the Chris Chambers thread, I referenced an article that stated Chris Chambers was one of the worst starting WR in the league. Here's that article.

Note, it said one of the worst STARTING WR, not one of the worst WR. There are 32 teams, with about 5 or 6 WR on each team. That means at least 160 WR in the NFL.

However, only 64 of them are starting WR (#1 or #2 on the depth chart). So, that means Chambers is rated around 64th, not 160th. That's where the "among the worst STARTING WR" statement comes from in the article.

Anyway, here it is. I'd like your thoughts on it.

http://www.patriotsdaily.com/category/football-outsiders-columns/

2. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Here are some more "stats":

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr.php

So far this year, Chambers has been thrown to 66 times, and caught 47% of them.

In 2006, Chambers was thrown to 153 times, but caught only 39% of them.

In 2005, his 'Pro Bowl' year, he was thrown to 166 times, and caught 49% of them.

Compare that to some of the other elite starting WR who have had consistent catch percentages of 58%, 60% or higher.

The thing that worries me is that Chambers doesn't catch more than half the passes thrown to him. I really hope that changes in San Diego. It might have been the Miami QBs throwing to him, or him, but until then, I'll reserve judgment on his "elite"ness. That's my only concern, his catch rate and ability to hold onto the ball.

3. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, I hope Chambers proves that guy wrong. That's my only concern. If Chambers performs at an "elite" level for us, I'll fully applaud the move. :yes:

Until then, I'm "reserved". :unsure:

4. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    This is a Patriots propaganda sheet. A grain of salt is needed here I think.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The guys on NFL Total Access said it was a great pick up and instantly improves the Chargers.

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I dont konw what he means by "falls off a cliff" after 03.
    The guy had 1100yds and 11TD's in 05 with freakin Gus Ferotte and Jay Fielder as his QB, and NO running game.

7. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    The main issue is that he catches less than half the passes thrown to him. They can't all be over/underthrows.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    which suggests..........inconsistency

9. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    So what? How is it propaganda? The article came out at the beginning of the year when the Patriots were actually thinking about trading for Chambers. So......

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Geese guys. Let him get to town before you raost him.

He may surprise you.

If he doesnt you have the I told you so rights.

Should be a win win for you grumpy cusses!

11. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Falls off a cliffs is the catch percentage. Less than 50% for the past 4 years.

12. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :bolt: IN AJ WE TRUST :bolt:

13. Jmurns

Jmurns BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    And just to pile on, here's a June article from ESPN:

By KC Joyner
    ESPN Insider
    June 20, 2007

This is the second in a series of articles about overrated and underrated players. The rankings are based primarily on the 2006 metrics. This week's topic is overrated and underrated wide receivers.

Overrated wide receivers

Donald Driver
    For sheer production, Driver had few equals last year, as he ranked fifth in the league in receptions and in receiving yards.
    June 20 Glossary
    YPA (Yards Per Attempt): A quick barometer of a quarterback/wide receiver/tight end's efficiency.

However, it took a huge number of pass attempts for him to amass these figures. When I rank wide receivers, I place the highest value on consistency and explosiveness. Driver certainly wasn't that explosive, as his 7.6 YPA ranked him 48th among wide receivers (of 67 qualifiers).

His 10.3 YPA on bomb passes (30-plus yards downfield) ranked him 39th in the league, and his 10.1 YPA on deep passes (20-29 yards) ranked him 44th.

Driver's consistency also left something to be desired. His success percentage, which used to be Driver's calling card, plummeted to a meager 57.6 percent last year, his lowest total in the four years I have been tracking metrics. He also had the most dropped passes of any wide receiver, and his dropped pass percentage (14.4) was the 12th worst in the NFL.

I'm not saying Driver is a bad wide receiver. I just think metrics such as these did not warrant the Pro Bowl starter slot he garnered last year.

Chris Chambers
    Chambers isn't considered a great receiver, but his metrics indicate he wasn't even a good receiver last year. Chambers had the lowest YPA (5.1) and success percentage (44.8) of any wide receiver in the NFL in 2006. He ranked no higher than 49th in YPA at any depth level, so he lacked production across the board.

Chambers was hampered by bad quarterback play, but 14 of his 24 missed pass plays last year were drops. Even if some of those other 10 passes had been completed, though, it still wouldn't have brought his overall metrics back up to a respectable level.
    Others

Randy Moss: He'll have to dramatically improve on his meager 6.2 YPA to keep the Patriots happy.
    Greg Jennings: He is a Favre favorite, but his success percentage (45.2) was the second-lowest in the league.
    Wes Welker: He is being touted as a vastly underrated player, but his 7.2 YPA last year ranked 55th in the league.
    Torry Holt: He is one of my all-time favorite wide receivers, but his 7.5 YPA and 55.9 success percentage were his worst numbers in the four years I've been doing this. He also didn't deserve a starting spot in the Pro Bowl.

14. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

As I said Conc, the only concern I have is his inability to catch more than half the passes thrown his way. He has regularly been thrown to 130+ times a year, but catches less than 50% (or less than 65 if thrown to 130 times). I don't think the other 65 passes were all over/underthrows. I think a significant amount reach him in an area where he SHOULD make the catch, but doesn't. Either he doesn't reach for them, or they hit him and he drops them.

If he corrects that with Norv and Rivers here in San Diego, I have absolutely no problem and will cheer him greatly. Otherwise, I won't be the only one griping.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I said the same thing about Manumaleuna. Many others did. I have to hand it to him though, Leisure told me to give him a chance, I would be impressed. I was.... Damn hanesty hurts sometimes...:lol:

16. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I wonder how this guys algorithm would have worked for Randy Moss over the Raider years. By his logic Moss must really suck now.

17. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, one thing gives me hope for Chambers. Two of his most productive years (not his Pro Bowl year of 2005 though) were when Norv Turner was the OC of Miami.

So..... reuniting him with Norv in San Diego and a better QB in Rivers than he had in Miami the past 4 years hopefully will elevate his game to true "elite" #1 WR status.

18. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Looks like Chambers is in pretty good company. Last time I looked Moss and Welker were doing pretty good with a decent QB. I would like to see these stats normalized for QB rating somehow.

I think the stats though don't lie. The guy consistently catches less balls than the elites. Says he perhaps is not the best in getting open.

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Thats the positive sluggo I love!:icon_banana:

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qhG1lUEwW40"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qhG1lUEwW40" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Pay close attention to how he owns Asante Samuel in the last clip.

This is Chambers at his Pro Bowl level. :abq2:

21. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

As long as he does this over and over again for us, I'll bow to his greatness. :yes:

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    WOW! Beauty one handed catches!!!

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Sooo...

Who will be 84?

Davis

or

Chambers

I ask you?

24. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    With the amount of money Chambers is getting this year, he should buy #84 from Davis for a couple hundred grand and Davis can be #82 or something.

HOwever, I don't think you can change #'s midseason. So, Davis will be #84 this year and Chambers maybe #82.

25. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Moss is number 1 this year.
    Was 67th in 2006..
    Was 25th in 2005.

These data says to me it is pretty easy to move up and down on this statistic and environment and the QB have to be a pretty big influence overall. Probably not a great pure measure of the receiver himself.

26. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Do they allow that in the NFL? I think they might, as I vaguely remember them allowing it this year, because some complained that the 80s on some teams were often all taken and they needed an extra set of numbers.