1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Fox Sports: 10 guys ready to have break out years

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Article

It's about that time of the summer.

You're sniffing around the fantasy football Web sites all over the Internet, digging into any semblance of an NFL preview you can get your hands on at Barnes & Noble, watching Madden 08 commercials like they're actual highlights — just fiending for all things pigskin. The mid-July juices, I call 'em. If you're a fan of the NFL, it's hard not to have them ripping through your veins by now. As great as an MLB All-Star Game or the NBA's Vegas Summer League may be for an evening — there's nothing like the anticipation for the NFL in these precious few weeks leading up to training camp.
    Everyone's got a surprise sleeper team (I'm rolling with Tampa Bay at the moment), a courageous preseason MVP pick (sticking with Jay Cutler), and a coach they think is about to change the way we think about professional football (Mike Martz, all over again!). The best part? Nobody's wrong at this stage in the game. Think Rex Grossman's going to lead the league in passing? Sure. Why not? The Browns are going to win the AFC North? Well, crazier things have happened.

Over the next few weeks, we'll be diving into these topics and much, much more. This week? Let's discuss 10 guys ready to have break out years. These are the cats that are on the cusp. No Pro Bowlers, no superstars — just young and hungry NFL players ready to become household names. Get to know them now.

1. Vincent Jackson, WR, Chargers:
    Sure, pretty much all of San Diego's coaching staff from last season's 14-2 squad is elsewhere this year. And yes, Cam Cameron — the master of that offense in '06 — is in Miami. But outside of a few fringe players off the bench, San Diego returns the majority of its AFC West championship team. Tomlinson, Gates, Turner and Rivers may get all the headlines — but Vincent Jackson could be the name on most people's tongues come mid-season. Jackson enters camp as the assumed No. 1 receiver on a Super Bowl favorite. The three-year vet out of Northern Colorado caught 27 balls and scored six touchdowns in spot duty last season. Look for him to get more touches in Norv Turner's offense in '07. Alongside Malcolm Floyd and Craig "Buster" Davis, Jackson helps make up one of the youngest wide receiver corps in the league. It's also the one marked with the most amount of question marks.

Click the link for the full article

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    nice to see us get some love

3. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    I'm just hoping that VJ can go another season without dislocating his vagina.

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yeah, you know the pain of that first hand...:icon_eek:

5. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I just wish VJ would have dragged his foot in the playoff game after an incredible throw from Rivers. As far as this season he definitely has a chance to become a legit wideout and will get a lot of throws from Rivers.

I hope he steps up.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I'll chalk that up to poor play by the whole team in a huge game. I think VJ will be ready. He does need, like Floyd, Parker and Davis, to avoid those knicks and the like

7. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    What does my hand have to do with VJ's vagina? :icon_huh:

Just because you are in charge of hand washing Cro's jock strap and giving him happy endings doesn't mean I like to fondle VJ. :icon_twisted:

boltssbbound is in charge of that.

:abq2: :abq1: :abq2:

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Oh, never mind me, go on trashing a young Charger with out reason.

9. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I actually like VJ, he's one of my favorite Chargers. I was just trying to lure BSSBB over. :yes:

Remember last off season when he got so bend out of shape because people were questioning VJ's toughness? :lol:

10. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Yet another thread turned into a grabass session.

11. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Sorry.

Back to the subject. I think VJ is going to have a solid year but with LT and Gates already getting the lion's share of the plays, I see Jackson grabbing 60 balls for 800 yards and 5 TD's. That will still be tops for the WR's. I think that Floyd, Davis, and Parker will split 1200yards receiving fairly equally between the three of them.

12. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    That sounds about right for VJ's yardage, but I think his td's will go up from last year, maybe even flirt with double digits.

BTW, double d's are a very good thing.

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    This post doent mention VJ or any or the WRs, so for clarification, this would be a 'gradass' post? :mellow:

VJ will do fine, but Flo will really shine!

14. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Hanestly I don't like to "gradass" but that's just me. :lol:

I'm not as sold on VJ as many here are but then again I can't say much as my guy EP sucked the big one in that playoff game as well.

15. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    It cracks me up how all these articles sort of praise Cam for being the "mastermind" behind our offense. Some 'mastermind'. Oh, you mean like giving the ball to LT only 9 times in the second half of a game where he was running all over the patriots? Or, on a 4th and 11, when the patriots were obviously blitzing, he sends out three WRs into deep patterns where Rivers was on his back before they even turned around?

Like, in a crucial 3rd down play where he has LT AND Gates being used as blockers?

Cam, the 'mastermind', who couldn't figure out a way to use Turner and LT in the same backfield and pummel the opposing defenses?

Yeah..... oh, and let's not forget drafting Ginn in the first round because he knows his family.

Please. I'm sooooooo glad Cam is gone. Norv is going to make this offense E X P L O D E!!!!!! I can't wait to see what sort of power this offense will be able to unleash this season.

16. Bawl Movement

Bawl Movement BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    I hope you're right but I have my doubts. When Norv was here before it was run on 1st, run on 2nd, pass on third. Same in Oakland and Wash. Too predictable. He did have a balanced offense in Dallas. I'm hoping with this much talent, we'll really see what he's made of.

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Many players sucked the big one in that game. The players lost the game, hands down. It wasnt just EP. Lets talk four games into the season and see what we think of EP based on how he produces for us.

He is going to be pizzed and embarased on his playoff showing, and he is going to be working hard to redeem himself. I think VJ will be alright, Floyd is my bet as the offensive WR that explodes this season.

18. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Hey, just because you can't keep your vagina in tact.

You guys amaze me. Jackson had one nagging injury since he arrived in the league, and you call him a puss.

Jackson is going to have a breakout year. All of you doubters will be kissing his *** by the end of the year. My boy is going to make you guys eat your words.

19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    In Norv's two years in Oakland, Kerry Collins had 3500 yards and 20+ touchdowns both years. In 2004, Oakland threw the ball 582 times, which was 4th most in the league. In 2005, Oakland had the 6th most attempts.

In Washington, Norv got Pro Bowl years out of Brad Johnson, Trent Green and Gus Frerotte. Norv's offenses ranked in the top half of the league in pass attempts every year, except for the Heath Shuler years.

In SD in 2001, Norv did not have much offensive talent to work with. We were trying to shorten the game and let our defense win it for us. Even then, the Bolts were 13th in pass attempts.

The idea that Norv is a run, run, pass guy is a complete fallacy.

20. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Yahtzee!!!!

:abq2: :abq1: :abq2:

Simmer down now, if you remember I was right there with you defending your boy. :yes:

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Get him BSBB! Get him. Go after him like a crazed spider monkey! Go after him like a Michael Vick pitbull that hasnt been fed in a week!

22. Bawl Movement

Bawl Movement BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4

Tell that to LT, Emmit, Stephen Davis, Frank Gore, Jordan, etc. With the exception of LT, all those guys had their best years with Norv (except LT - he'd rock with anybody at the helm). They all love him because he sticks with his horses. That would've come in handy against New England. I didn't say they didn't pass. They were painfully predictable. As I said, in SD's case I'm hoping that was just because of the dearth of talent at the time. Also, it's important to note that a lot of those passing stats came from being on ****** teams that are playing catch up in the 2nd half.

23. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    They love him because he's a great offensive coach, because he calls a balanced game and because he knows what he's doing. They don't love him because he calls a predictable run, run, pass game. Newsflash: RBs don't like it when their coach's playcalling is predictable.

Here are Norv's rushing attempt rankings every year since 1994.

2006 SF--19th
    2005 Oak--32nd
    2004 Oak--31st
    2001 SD--18th
    2000 Was--15th
    1999 Was--10th
    1998 Was--27th
    1997 Was--12th
    1996 Was--13th
    1995 Was--13th
    1994 Was--23rd

So in his last eleven playcalling seasons, Norv's teams have ranked in the top 10 in rushing attempts once (10th in 1999). They've ranked in the bottom 10 4 times. His team's average ranking over the last 11 years has been 19th.

Other than your warped perception, what facts do you have to support your assertion that Norv is a predictable, run-first playcaller?

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Great Article Concudan!!

If our receivers step up, any and all defenses will be shreaded!!!:bolt:

25. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I'll say it again, MF will be the MF'r that steps it up during the year....he's going to surprise everyone including most fans.

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Great Article Concudan!!

LT is reported to have said in a radio interview today (Link) That Malcom Floyd if he can stay healthy will surprise a lot of people this year.

LT, I agree.

27. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Great Article Concudan!!

On a serious note (not that you aren't being serious), VJ has no choice but to step up. I keep mentioning MF simply because VJ will not surprise anyone (other teams that is) this year if he plays well. Teams will view him as our #1 WR even if Gates gets most of the looks from Rivers. Therefore, in order for us to keep people honest, I truly think (and hope) that MF steps it up and becomes solid #2 WR and not just in the red zone.

28. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Great Article Concudan!!

I agree and I said that earlier too!!! :bolt: :abq2: :abq1:

29. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If I remember correctly we're talking about a lacerated lung, folks. They'd have been nuts not to sit him. Anyone every hear of pleurisy? It's still a big killer when it strikes.

30. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Isn't that like bruising a fallopian tube?