1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Fox Sports: Antonio Gates - #85 - Tight end - 6'4" - 260lbs

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bolt Bot, Oct 12, 2006.

1. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2005
    I'm thinking Gates has some more catches versus the 49ers' porous secondary.

2. stone86

stone86 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2006
    In my mind, Gates will have at least a good of a game he had against the steelers since the 49ers secondary is poor. Hopefully lots of passing for Rivers.
  3. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Aug 26, 2005
    I originaly thought that we had thrown less this year than last year in the first four games but was shocked when I did the math and learned that we've actually thrown more this year (by two passes).

11 passes vs the Raiders (threw to 5 different receivers)
    36 passes vs the Titans (threw to 9 different receivers)
    23 passes vs the Ravens (threw to 7 different receivers)
    37 passes vs the Steelers (threw to 7 different receivers)

for a total of 107 passes

now compare that to last years first four games.

35 passes vs the Cowboys (threw to 5 different receivers)
    23 passes vs the Broncos (threw to 5 different receivers)
    23 passes vs the Giants (threw to 6 different receivers)
    24 passes vs the Patriots (threw to 8 different receivers)

for a total of 105 passes

So why are gates numbers down? Well I think it's clear that Rivers spreads the ball around a lot more than Brees did. Brees was very comfortable throwing to Gates and it shows in the stats.

I'm not sure that Gates lack of production...scratch that, lack of stats is a bad thing. I think it just means we have a better throwing game than last year. I don't think it's anything to be worried about. Gates has one more TD's (2) than he did last year (1) within the first 4 games and we all know that Tight Ends are usually measured TD's scored.