1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Fox Sports ranking on QBs

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by msmith, Jul 16, 2007.

1. msmith

msmith BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    10. Chargers (2006 Rank: 22)

Philip Rivers finished fifth in the league in DPAR (88.6), threw for 3,388 yards, and led his teams to a 14-2 record. Still, his performances against the Raiders in Week 12 (14-of-31, 133 yards, one interception) and Chiefs in Week 15 (8-of-23, 97 yards, two interceptions) suggest that Rivers is still suffering through some growing pains. New coach Norv Turner will focus on fundamentals to improve Rivers' awkward backpedal and delivery style. But Turner's system lacks creativity, and Rivers may struggle when opponents figure out the game plan. Backup Billy Volek went from heir apparent to dirty dishrag in Tennessee in just a few weeks last year. Volek has a live arm and has proven he can win games off the bench.

Here is the whole article.

• Like Like x 1
  2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    10th? That's a joke. Amongst Rivers two bad performances the article points to, were several good ones, including a nearly flawless performance against the Donks in SD.

Rivers was QB for the league's top scoring offense, in his first year as a pro. That certainly qualifies him for better than a #10 ranking. Now, i know this is a team ranking, but Volek is a very solid backup.

The Ravens and the Steelers ahead of the Chargers at QB? WTF? Big Ben, with 4 TDs and 11 Ints, was horrible in the 4th quarter last year. Rivers, meanwhile, was the #1 4th quarter QB.

For a site that prides itself on unbias statistical analysis, Football Outsiders sure seems to have some pretty illogical rankings. By their own rating system (DPAR), Rivers was the 5th best QB. They share that little nugget, and then turn around and rank him 10th. That makes absolutely no sense. I hope those guys don't get paid for their drivel.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Word.

4. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    to tha mutha.

5. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    There are times Rivers holds the ball too low, and it lengthens his delivery and messes up his timing. He got progressively worse as the season went on, but seemed to recover nicely vs NE. As with all QB and people who run with the ball, he needs to keep the ball in tight to keep himself in good running form. When he keeps it tucked in, he reminds me of Fouts in that he looks awkward, but is in fact fairly fluid. Overall, I think many people bash Rivers funky throwing motion, but when he carries the ball high near his chest he is very quick compact motion. He needs to spend a lot of time working on it (and probably always will), but I think the article is a bit off base. Rivers has a very complete game. If there is a weakness in the passing game, it is that we need more consistent targets for him. It would be nice to see the TE and WR develop some to see us run more multiple receiver sets. Rivers is really good at spreading the ball around in those situation, but has been limited in how much we can use them given the lack of help at receivers.

Volek has had some nice games for Tenn coming off the bench and throwing a bunch of short passes. he is a nice backup. He should be able to run the offense nicely, but if he has to start for a prolonged period, it mgiht be better to think about Whitehurst. Whitehurst is the son of a former NFL QB (David Whitehurst played for some really bad GB teams in the late 70's and early 80's). He has excellent tools, but was hurt not playing for a better program (in the sense he was not that well coached). Given how well he has come along, I think he will turn into a great backup for Rivers if he is given enough time.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If these rating are going by experience, then I can understand being #10.

It will take another stella season to convince them and they WILL be convinced!! :yes: :tup: :bolt:

7. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    That doesn't make any sense. Based on Football Outsiders metrics (DPAR), Rivers was ranked #5. With another year of experience, he should be better, not worse.

8. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I don't think Rivers got worse as the season went on. He had six games with a QB rating of 100+. Two of them were in the last five games of the season.

Rivers had two bad games all year--vs. KC and vs the Raiders. But a big part of that were injuries to Floyd, KMac and Parker.

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

It makes perfect sence.
    As good as he is, they are questioning if he will continue to have stella seasons.

"With another year of experience, he should be better, not worse."
    He should and I believe he will but NOTHING is guaranteed!

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    What else would you expect from East Coast Homers in the sports media? Especially when it's Faux News.

11. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Norv just has to let the river flow.

12. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37

Seattle as well but, you're right, he had no one to throw to. Everyone seems to overlook that.

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    what I noticed is that of all the top 10, Rivers was the only one criticized for particular games and for his mechanics

14. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    People can short-change the Chargers and our players all they want, but our team rocks.

• Like Like x 1
  15. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Rivers QBR for the Seattle game was 77. Not great, but not terrible.