1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

FOX SPORTS - Who is more important to the Chargers success? Rivers vs LT?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Aug 8, 2008.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    45% say Rivers

55% say LT

What do you think?

I say LT, he takes pressure off Rivers and provides a realiable out for him when he is getting rushed hard.

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    gotta go with LT here. You take him out of our backfield and we lose 75% of our offense

4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    In Rivers 1st year as a starter, LT was much much more important to alleviate the pressure. But during the Indy and NE games last year, Rivers proved that he can carry this team and make everyone else around him better. So at this point I'm giving Rivers the super slight edge.

5. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Rivers is playing in a position that can lose games for a team way more often than an rb, and we already know that LT having a phenomenal season even with good qb play isn't enough to get us to the big dance. We need Rivers to be great too.

6. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    I like Volek better then Rivers. And I can give two shits about L.T. I like Turner better. But, Oh well.

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The Chargers are more likely to win a game even if Rivers is having a sub-par performance day, than if L.T. does.

So, therefore, L.T. is slightly more important at this point.

I wouldn't be suprised though if that changes this season as Norv puts in more wrinkles to the offense this year.:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Its not one player over the other, it is not one player is more important then the other's. It is going to have to be a total team effort. We all saw back in New England what is going to have to take to win it all.

9. Golfboy

Golfboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I disagree. I'll probably be lambasted for this, but last year Michael Turner much more productive than LT. Game after game when LT was doing nothing but running into a brick wall at the line of scrimmage, he would come out and turner would come in and break off big runs.

10. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    And you are looking at everything from a stats standpoint. Just because someone had more yardage rushing, and catching does not make them a better player. Do you think a defense game planned for LT or Michael Turner?

11. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Rivers

• Like Like x 1
  12. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Exactly. I argue this point with people at work all the time that look at nothing but stats. You get lost in the numbers, you fail to see the big picture! I honestly don't understand how that dude could possibly think that Turner (as much as I like him) made more of an impact than LT. :icon_huh:

As far as the voting, I voted LT. I think it's about even though. Obviously one player won't make or break a team. Look at Chicago, they went to the Super Bowl a few years ago with a quarterback that throws like my 4 year old. :lol:

13. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    And that is where the fantasy football people are trying to take over. A Player is only good when he rushes for 200 Yards a Game, scores 4 Touchdowns, and catches 20 passes.

A players value occurs when he is out on the field and how much the other team accounts for him. If we had a legit Pro Bowl receiver, with Antonio Gates, and LT out on the field. Which one would get double coverage, and who is going to get single coverage! If Antonio lined up on the left side, and this "Legit" Receiver lined up on the right, and both were wide, would you put 8 in the box to stop LT?

Hopefully that is where Chris Chambers steps it up this year!

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'd say it's about 50/50 at this point and we all know how great LT is. I do believe Rivers is going to have to step up and bring his game to the next level, Then he'll clearly be the #1 dude.

15. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    The question......with no answer haha, there both very important to the charger's success, because they both bring diff. kinds of talent to the table LT, having the luxuries of being elusive/agile/trucker/stiffarm/fast and not to mention his great work ethic. Rivers is obviously a great qb to mold in with the chargers, he has that i don't give a.....attitude, a true warrior, has a great arm that i think he hasn't developed fully yet but he will this year and he's very accurate during the pressure. It's prob. 33.5 Rivers/33.5 LT/33.5 Gates.

This our year guys, talent is not a problem, health is, but i have the confidence that everyone is going to be healthy this year. The Boltz WILL bring the Lombardi to the beautiful city of San Diego :tup:

16. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Eric Parker :tup:

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'd take PR at this point. LT is a great back, but we have a new leader in PR & we have to have him making completions downfield in order to get LT some running room. We've seen teams scheme LT out of the game because we couldn't get a passing game going. Now we have receivers, so PR needs to get them the ball.

However, the OL & Jamal are the most important parts of this team. But that wasn't the question.

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am not so sure it is about leadership.

When LT is on the field, the D always has to keep an eye on him. If Rivers is being rushed hard, the Ds can make him pass early or frustrate him.

That is not a knock against Rivers. But LT being on the field gives him an ultra reliable option in an audible situation, dump off pass or what have you. LT being on the field takes pressure off of Rivers.

That said, look how or O changed when Chambers arrived. He took pressure off of Rivers as well. As Does Gates.

But for me the key is Rivers is a better QB IMO when LT is on the field because teams cant just blitz Rivers to death, or Rivers will get the ball to LT and LT will then burn them.

If we have just a good RB in the backfield, the D will not have to respect that part of the game as much, and Rivers would suffer for it. Not greatly, not ruin him.

LT does not make Rivers a Great QB, that is Rivers, but LT does help him.:yes:

19. Golfboy

Golfboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Actually not, I'm looking at output/performance. Yes, I'll agree that defenses were keying on LT to shut him down, but if they practiced all week to shut down the run, doesn't Turner have to deal with that same prep?

It's not as though they were both on the field at the same time and LT was a decoy.

20. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    LT is special, but Rivers is more important to our success…the playoffs demonstrated that, because Tennessee had LT bottled up for most of the game and Indy knocked him out of it, but we beat both those teams in large part to Philip really clicking with both VJ & Chris Chambers with deep, accurate downfield passes…

If we lost LT for the season Heaven forbid, we could still win games if we got decent production from Sproles, Hester & Marcus Thomas especially with Rivers lighting teams up in the passing game but if Philip were lost for the year, we’d probably still win our pathetic division but that is about it…..

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Agreed. The offense will be compromised if either Rivers or LT are missing. Volek is a role player not a long term starter, so with Hester and Thomas in camp we have better depth at RB but we will have problems if we have to do without either for any length of time. We might still make the playoffs, but the Lombardi will be a real obstacle course.

22. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    WTF???:icon_eek: