1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Franchise tenders shrink under new CBA

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/19/franchise-tenders-shrink-under-new-cba/

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Helpful for teams in the future, but doesn't effect our current situation....... unfortunately.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yeah the more I think about it the more I'm fine with letting VJ go. There are maybe 3 WRs in the entire league that I would pay more than 10 mil a year for (Fitzgerald, Johnson, White) and Jackson is not one of them. He's not a dominant player, he struggles and dissapears at times against just average CBs, and his stats seem to be the product of 2 or 3 mega performances per year.

Although if he goes to New England, and we get nothing more than a pathetic 3rd round comp pick (all of which AJ has wasted in the past) I will be bitter as hell.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    5 yrs 50 mil is not more than 10 mil a year.

No one else available in FA is going to give you Jackson's production for less cost (Bowe and Colston are both going to be looking for dollar amounts that Jackson would likely take from us), and the people who will cost less won't give us the impact. Combine that with the talent black hole behind him on the depth chart and it really makes signing him a priority.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583
    And, IIRC, signing bonuses do not count toward the cap, right? If so, they could give him a sizable signing bonus and a smaller salary this year. Then have it adjust out in later years. But it ain't my money. ;)

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Every dollar you contract to give him and pay him counts against the cap. The only things that didn't previously were Unlikely-t0-be-Earned incentives and those are pretty much scrapped at this point. Signing bonuses can be prorated over the term of the contract, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have to factor into the (cap) accounts at some point.

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583
    I see. Didn't know that.