1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Frank Summers is our FB in 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Dublin Bolt, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    So I read today that a decision has been made to go with Frank Summers as our FB effectively demoting Hester to not much more than a Special Teams player.

Not saying this is a bad move but where the hell did this come out of?. Is this old news?, first I heard of it. I reckoned Hester was in AJ's gang (along with castillo, tucker and weddle) and would be looked after no matter what.

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Oooops I meant 2012, getting ahead of myself there!, can someone change the thread title to read 2012 and not 2013?.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    There has been several threads about Summers, where have you been? This isn't really news IMO

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If Summers can make it to the corner and catch the ball, with a full head of steam it will be "goodnight CBs time to go to sleep now"

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    good news IMO

• Like Like x 1
  6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Frank was in camp last season. He is about as broad as he is tall. The only thing that kept him off the field last season was a lingering injury. He came out of Pittsburgh, and the Steelers wanted him back, but Frank 'the tank' felt the Chargers offense would grant him more playing time, and focus on his strengths more than the steelers O would.

I think he will be great.

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Don't get me wrong I know he's been around since preseason 2011 but I had not heard he was going to replace Hester (AJ's lovechild) until yesterday. That's a WOW to me but like Buck says not necessarily a bad thing. Hester improved as a FB but I'm not convinced he's good for much as this level. His slowness on KRs in front of Goodman is a killer, witness when Gilchrist led Goodman out, BOOM, TD. I'm not sure Hester deserves a spot at all if Summers can be the man.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Hester can only be a catching FB, he doesnt have the size IMHO to be a wrecking ball like Frank can be.

9. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Honestly I think Hester is out of SDs gameplan. Tolbert probably too, but not by their choice. Frank to start would deffinatly take some of the urgency to go get a replacement FA RB.

As much as i like Twin TEs set, I realy miss traditional Power I forms with a real FB like Alstott or Riggins. How long till FBs come back into popularity?

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't see us carrying 2 FB's and 2-3 RB's, but who knows

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
  12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
  14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
  15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I don't think it would limit Boonah as a runner but it would provide much like Tolbert had, some flexibility in running packages including a jumbo one with Hester & FB Summers. Hester has had good success with those tough 3rd and 2, 4th & 1 yds

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I'll give u that but I just don't see him as athletic enough to do much else. Don't get me wrong he's bulked up and tried hard to be a FB, he just doesn't fit a box for me. Barely a jack of all trades but defo master of none. I say let's cut him loose esp if big Frank is 100% healthy.

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Much better solution would be to find a real RB in the mid-rounds or undrafted

18. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    its about frickin time!!!! again, why did we over pay for this guy?

19. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I think that spells the end of Hester. Frank is a better blocker and a more natural FB, if Tolbert also walks, we need a new second RB though.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    With the signing of Le'Ron McClain, that could spell the end of Frank Summers

21. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    McClain could end up being a RB/FB hybrid like a third RB, with Summers still on the roster. But it DEFINITELY spells the end of Hester

• Like Like x 1
  22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Thats a good thing

• Like Like x 3
  23. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I like the backfield of RM Tank and McClain.... We can figure out a way to keep both I hope. MAYBE still look for a Scat in the later rounds or undrafted....

24. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Did we resign or release Brinkley?

25. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Unless the plan is for Hester to be the scat back.

26. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    San Diego Chargers Sign RB/FB Le'Ron McClain

[​IMG] by John Gennaro on Mar 14, 2012 4:15 PM PDT in San Diego Chargers News

The San Diego Chargers Running Back and Fullback positions are in flux this offseason. Mike Tolbert and Jacob Hester are free agents and, despite the Chargers claims that they're fine with Frank Summers as the team Fullback, they need to be replaced. The Bolts started part of that process this afternoon.
    @AdamSchefter
    RB Le'Ron McClain agreed to terms on a 3-year deal with the SD Chargers.​

McClain has played both Running Back and Fullback for the Baltimore Ravens and last year with the Kansas City Chiefs. He's also been known as a special teams stalwart. This signing probably replaces Mike Tolbert, who was the team's power RB/goal line RB/touchdown vulture, more than it does Jacob Hester. However, if the front office was serious about their feelings towards Frank Summers as the starting FB then the backfield may be complete.

27. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    NO. I want a NEW one!!

28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Call me nuts... picking up former Ravens players (McClain, Johnson,... hey AJ, Dannell Ellerbe's still out there too as an ILB option!), running a something-similar offense (granted they have a more proven RB and a marginally better OL - at least until they re-sign Grubbs then they're obviously better; that said our QB is leaps and bounds better than Flacco), a Pagano at the helm of the D. Could we e making a play to unseat SF as Baltimore-West? Yeah right... I'll believe it when I see AJ drafting BPA in the 1st round.

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    And the best part is... McClain actually CONVERTS goal and short situations! Most folks probably remember him for his ability to vulture TD's from their 1st round fantasy RB's (Rice, McGahee, and Charles).

30. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Already startin to dream of the duo names...

Like the Lethal Weapons, just have to figure out whos 1 2 and 3...

OR for Tank and McClain Brick and Stone... since their both built like a brickshithouse.