1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    Free agent SS Adrian Wilson plans to play at least one more season.
    Wilson, going on age 34, hopes to land with a West Coast team who'll likely be in playoff contention. Very limited at this stage of his career, box-safety Wilson could perhaps intrigue a club like Denver or San Diego if he's willing to play for near the league minimum. Wilson is a two-down strong safety.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    Door open for Antoine Cason and Quentin Jammer to come back to Chargers. But they'll test market and likely find better deals elsewhere.

3. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +252
    I definitely don't have the same character concerns about Nnamdi that most of us have about Gaither. Jared had a reputation for doing exactly what he's done.

Nnamdi on the other hand, we could make plenty of excuses for - the DC situation in PHI was a mess and they never used him correctly, etc... I'd also say "dogged it" is a bit much, he still had times where he played well, even though he clearly didn't live up to expectations.

The OAK version of him is of course long gone, but he isn't the same type of person as Gaither, far from it, in a system with more safety help, he could still be useful and he actually plays, not just sitting on the sideline stealing a pay check. He'd still be an upgrade over Jammer in my opinion and it could be a low risk high reward type of pickup for a team who gets him.

4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    Actually I'd contend that he's not really that much of an upgrade over Jammer because both of their games have fallen off the for the same reason - their speed has degraded and they simply aren't as effective because of it anymore.

If I'm being honest, the guy was a dyed in the wool Raider too - meaning unless we were the only team to offer him a contract, he'd sooner play for any other team than another AFC West team that's not Oakland.

5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,396
    Tom Telesco was asked about spending big in free agency and he responded with:
    “There’s a time and place, but that time and place for it is not this year”

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    What was KC's Cap? for some reason I was thinking it was not much more than we have, Still they gave big money to Bowe, Colquit, Albert, A Smith in trade and now Robinson

UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    Chiefs sign CB Dunta Robinson. Not saying that's division-changer. But clearly Andy Reid went to KC to win. Meanwhile in San Diego ...

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Its classic Andy Reid calling the shots.

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    Sirius XM Radio's Adam Caplan passes along buzz that "multiple teams" are in the mix for free agent CB Antoine Cason.
    The Colts would make sense as a team that plays press-man in the secondary and recently hired former Chargers exec Jimmy Raye. Indianapolis is also needy at corner. Cason is 26 years old. He was the 27th overall pick in the 2008 draft.

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Good riddance I say, the dude was the definition of inconsistency, a big pay day usually doesn't improve those qualities.

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    Pretty much. Andy's old tricks worked so well in Philly too, didn't they? Then again, this is classic Lamar Hunt too. And the Chiefs gained $10 million in cap space when they restructured Tyson Jackson's contract (literally, how little must a player think of his free agent prospects that he gave away $10 million for nothing in return other than getting to make $4 million this year and end up a free agent next year?).

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,600
    I get the feeling the Chargers are not going to do much this FA period, I don't recall the Colts doing much last year and that would fit with Telesco's MO. But he's got to make at least a little headway in the many holes on the Chargers

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    I am totally OK with that. We need to suffer through the dead cap space that will come when Gaither and/or Clary is cut

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    They did replace about 30 players on their roster last year, so they had to get involved in FA some how. Just not big names

14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    I agree, but they also had something ridiculous like 64 million in dead money so they honestly couldn't do much (makes me wish Telesco was there this year to see the other side of things, when they have a ton of money to spend. "Free agencies fun!!! Yaaaayyyyyy!"haha.

But I also believe you're not going to get any better by not rewarding and retaining you own players who deserve it. That's why so many people around the NFL have credited AJ for an outstanding draft history, but his ability to retain the players is what got him into so much trouble.

If they do not re sign Vasquez they better replace him with someone to better or equal talent, same with Cason etc. (Johnny Patrick better not have been his replacement). We can't lose the Eric Weddle type players and replaced them with Steve Gregory's, Atari Bigby's etc.

A lot of people mocked what KC did so far, saying "look what a spending spree got Reid in Philly" But I guarantee the pieces they already had in place, plus the pieces they added, make them a dangerous weapon IMO.

The level of talent that was on that roster, Hali, Flowers, Bowe, Charles, Baldwin, Houston, Berry. Now add Smith and Robinson and what ever else they decide to bring in. I think the players and pieces they have in KC right now, are far superior to the "dream team" Reid assembled in 2011.

15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    How is everyone enjoying the first day of the NFL Legal Tampering Period, also known as "an ordinary Saturday?"

16. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    Chargers have re-signed Mike Windt to four-year contract. Long snapper was set to become a restricted free agent

Your move KC:whistling:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    You're welcome to guarantee it. But statistically free agent acquisitions are more often less effective in their new destinations than not. KC (still) is also working without actually having a legitimate franchise QB on the pay-roll - the cap hit of which tends to make these sort of dealings quite difficult unless the player is A) recently drafted under the rookie wages scale (Luck, Tannehill), B) yet to get their first major extension (Ryan, Kaepernick), or C) like Tom Brady who has taken a pay-cut to free up more cap-space for his club.

Also, the Chiefs haven't landed Smith yet, just expressed interest even post-Robinson signing. Tampa has been pretty heavily linked to him and has gobs of cap-space to play with.

Also, I would contend that there's a difference between Eric Weddle type players and Antoine Cason type players. By all indications Telesco looks to be walking a line similar to that that has served Ozzie Smith quite well in Baltimore - you do what it takes (even if it means "overpaying" - a term that gets thrown around way too much because Average Annual Cash Value of contracts is really only the relevant number, the rest is just fluff for the player's agent to tout) to re-sign your superstars and franchise pieces, but the mid-level starters (the Paul Kruger's, Dawan Landry's, Justin Bannan's, and Bart Scott's) are let to walk if they aren't willing to re-up on highly team-friendly contracts, because frankly they're not worth it and are replaceable via the "next man up" approach.

18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    Ozzie Newsome not the Wizard of OZ.

But we haven't even seen Telesco do anything except resign Windt, Place a tender on DX and release Spikes and Bigby.

That goes both ways, Peyton Manning, Wes Welker, Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall, Reggie Bush, Asante Samuel, Tony Gonzalez, Michael Turner, Darren Sproles. Takeo Spikes etc have all met or exceeded their past numbers from past teams along with a list of many more.

All I was saying was kudos to KC for retaining Bowe as well as showing up and making impressive signings so far.

I think a lot of times teams go out and chase the big names with out really doing their home work, if you felt Mario Williams was truly the last piece to your puzzle and truly fit into what you are trying to do with your system, then by all means pay the guy what he's asking. But if not then yes, that will come back to bite them

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    And perhaps part of that is because - aside from Vasquez who made it clear he wanted to test the market - we didn't have a UFA worth making a big to-do to re-sign; and I'd tend to agree with him there. Phillips gets overrated by his stats - when in reality he was pretty bad against the run last season and a vast majority of his sacks were coverage sacks. Cason doesn't have it upstairs to function in our scheme. Spikes and Bigby were obvious releases - older players whose age has progressed them past the point of being 3-down players, who's price-tags were too high to fit in with the team's youth movement.

You've got a few guys acquired via trade in there, mate. And yes, there are some successful FA signings - hence why i said "more than not" as that does recognize there are some, just not as many as there are the Bart Scott's, Calvin Pace's, Laurent Robinson's, Haynesworth's, Asomugha's, Cullen Jenkins', Brandon Lloyd's, Robert Meachem's, Steve Breaston's. Scheme-versatility is truly underappreciated in the league - not all players have it, not even a majority of player's have it. So expecting a player to replicate the numbers he produced in one scheme (with other complimentary players) when put in another isn't exactly wise. Will Peyton Manning do so? Well yeah, he's Peyton friggin' Manning and the scheme changed to accommodate him.

And actually, I think the Bowe re-signing was foolish, but mostly because it's also tied to Alex Smith. They paid a borderline Top 10 receiver, Top 3 money. That's the kind of contract (see Santonio Holmes) that can come back to haunt a team if they aren't winning championships.

20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    I view a trade as the same as free agency. Is it any different if he were to go there signing a new contract or being acquired through a trade but thats besides the point.

Can you explain to me how Cullen Jenkins 22 tackles and 4 sacks is any different to his 13 tackles and 7 sacks in GB?

And I would actually attest the Steve Breaston's first year in KC was better than his contract year in AZ

21. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    Nick Novak is signing a four-year, $6.6M contract with the San Diego Chargers. The deal has a $1.5M signing bonus & $1.125M '13 cap number.

22. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    The Chargers are expected to have "deep talks" with free agent CB Jerraud Powers.
    New Bolts GM Tom Telesco was in Indianapolis' front office when Powers was drafted. Like the Colts, the Chargers are needy at cornerback but have quite a bit less cap space to spend. Powers should be cheaper than Antoine Cason.

23. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,396
    Also included was a commemorative gold plated cup for in-game emergencies. ;)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,600
    I hope that's because of his talent not just because Telesco was around when Powers was drafted

I guess it's a good thing Novak and Windt were re-signed, not a huge fan of the former, but I'm rather surprised the team hasn't released Garay or Gaither yet

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    I second that, I'm guessing Garay hasnt been released because they may be exploring options or because Telesco got to go for a ride in the hello kitty car.

26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Next most important person to re-sign is Antwan Barnes, we really need him back now that its almost assured Phillips won't be.

• Agree Agree x 3
  27. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +174
    I agree I really liked antwan barnes I dont know why he kind of fell out of the rotation last season but I hope this regime thinks more highly of him than the last... his ability to get off the ball is second to none

28. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Jerraud Powers played excellent at times in Indy, despite there so-so pass rush.

29. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Rolando McClain expected to be cut March 12th by the Raiders, would anybody take him here? I think I would roll the dice, his cousin is Le'Ron McClain, maybe he can straighten him out.

Another little fact, Rolando McClain, Jerraud Powers (who we've had 'strong' negotiations with), and Philip Rivers all come from the same city in Alabama. These guys can't possibly not know each other, not a lot of people make it out of Decatur to the NFL.

30. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    I think the bad outweighs the good in this case, I don't even think his own mama cant straighten him out at this point. Which is odd seeing how the group he was with on film when he was drafted looked like the mickey mouse club. Too much headache and unwanted negativity isn't good for a locker room. We have to remember these are still 20 something young kids, some may be easily influenced.