1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Chris Gamble has told his agent he wants to retire. Multiple teams have been contacting his agent for his services.

2. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +250
    49ers just got Boldin from the Ravens for a 6th round pick...

3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +752
    I like the Boldin pick up

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +752
  5. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +123
    yet they've contacted Levitre and Vollmer's agent. I think their skeptical of how valuable he actually is or how well he fits the scheme we plan on running (with the new ZBS). I'm thinking we're going to put the full press on those two names rather than try to spend on Vasquez.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +115
    Levitre is almost a must for this team. Also i would like to see eric Winston signed but i highly doubt it. Honestly i want Chris gamble signed. It would make me feel alot better

7. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    If we can manage to do this tomorrow I'll be very happy..

Re-Sign,
    Louis Vasquez
    Antwan Barnes
    Aubrayo Franklin
    Vaughn Martin

Sign,
    Jerraud Powers
    Andy Levitre
    Larry Grant

Will allow us to go,
    OT, OLB, RB, NT, WR, CB, OT/OG in the draft..

8. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +174
    supposedly we are showing interest in Derek Cox from the jags.. 6 1 190 4.3 speed.. its been awhile since we have had a prototype cb around here. is it too soon to get excited?? am i just setting myself up for a let down? :(

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Link?

I mean I've heard he's had trouble staying on the field. I doubt, a defensive coach like Bradley will let one of his best corners go.

10. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +174
  11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,351
    When the Seahawks got Harvin, I thought they had the upper hand in taking the NFC West. With the Niners getting Boldin, I'd say it's back to being a toss up.

That being said, this is a dumb move by the Ravens.

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    He's their only worth while CB now that Mathis is a washed up UFA.

They have money, but lets be honest why would you play for Jacksonville if you have somewhere else to go right now?

13. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +174
    yeah exactly, the interest between cox and tampa bay appear to be mutual. Maybe he doesnt wanna relocate his family but if it has to do with weather im sure us being in san diego only helps us in regards to his interest in us. Tampa bay also has deff been known to throw money around in free agency so i guess we'll see what happens.

14. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +123
    Gamble looks like he's retiring.

I'm debating this, but i'm not sure i really want to spend big on OL this year...No matter what we do, this OL isn't going to be a 1 year fix. So i'd almost rather just wait and try to build it up through the draft, with a vet or two thrown in over the next few years, rather than try to buy 2 pieces this year, and draft 2 or 3 players over the next to years.

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    And this is what I'm worried about..

Say we let Vasquez walk, and lose out on the Levitre sweep stakes. Who will be protecting Philip Rivers in 2013 that's on the roster right now? Pretty much nobodies.

We must sign at least one of the two, and build through the draft. But again, if we can sign both Levitre and Vasquez, there goes 2 needs in the draft, and you have 2 top-10 guards at their positions.

Then its time to take care of the tackle spots, which can be done in house, if Gaither does want to commit, and by the draft. I think its all but certain Clary will be cut in camp. Ingram is gonna ruin him in camp, since Shaun Phillips won't be making him look good.

16. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Via Adam Schefter on Twitter...

"@AdamSchefter: Former Chiefs OT Eric Winston visited the Chargers this weekend."

17. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455
    Ghelken saying If he signs, Chargers would play him at RT and cut Clary.

18. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +115
    Good a veteran RT to kick clary to the curb. Now we need a lg. And left tackle. If we get levitre. Im all for eric Fisher.

19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Too many needs to trade up..

Basing on last year's performance, I don't see Winston as a big upgrade over Clary. I sound like we've signed him already. He's allowed 23 sacks over the last 3 years and committed 19 penalties. Clary has given up 24.50 sacks and only committed 11 penalties.

So basically Winston is better by 1.5 sacks than Clary. Please, do not sign Winston and get rid of Clary.

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Please please please pleeeeeaase

Probably
    Won't happen but hey

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    I agree with not signing Winston, he's a much better run blocker (classic ZBS) than a pass blocker, but Clary needs to go regardless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,351
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  23. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +123
    I dont know, i'm not completely sold on Winston. He's good, but we're not using that same cut heavy ZBS like the Shannarat type. He's one of those attitude guys. I'd rather us go out and get Vollmer, not sure if he'd be more or less expensive but he'd be a better fit IMO.

24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +441
    I agree that perhaps Vasquez just isn't cut out to be the type of Guard McCoy needs. He's being made out to be a serious NFL Guard, he's just a guy in my opinion. LeVitre would be a big upgrade imho. He and Winston would combine well on the right side. Our Left Tackle should come in the draft. And Haslam might work out at Guard or right Tackle in long run, he seems decent.

25. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +344
    http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#843451

Chargers are in open talks with Vaughn Martin to resign him.

Curtis Brinkley is more than likely to not be tendered by the Chargers.

According to SDUT the Chargers have inquired about various RB's across the league. None of which are La'Rod Stephens-Howling.

26. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    I wonder how awkward it must be for Boldin to go to the team he just beat in the Super Bowl?

And FTR I'd love to never see Clary in a Chargers uniform ever again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    McMichael released per Schefter...:tup: Saves $1.5M in cap space.

No news on Clary, Garay, or McClain.

28. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +752
    Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    Chargers can clear another $5 million in roster space by parting with nose tackle Antonio Garay. No word yet there, but expected.

UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    @UTgehlken: Chargers released TE Randy McMichael ... Saves $1.5 million in cap space...” > So they have $11M. $5M more coming (Garay).

Regardless of what they do bringing in Free agents, If Telesco does in fact release Clary, He will be the most beloved GM in Chargers history

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +752
    Heres a little run down

The Chargers have prioritized re-signing free agent guard Louis Vasquez, but the new regime has yet to even make him an offer. Losing Vasquez would make one of the worst offensive line situations in the league even weaker. The Colts will be hot on his trail. … San Diego has opened contract talks with free agent defensive linemen Vaughn Martin and Aubrayo Franklin. Both players could likely be re-signed on the cheap. … Free agent right tackle Eric Winston visited the Bolts over the weekend, but left town without a deal. The Chargers are installing a zone-blocking scheme this year, so the interest in Winston makes sense. If signed, it would almost certainly mean right tackleJeromey Clary’s time has run out. … The Chargers remain interested in free agent cornerback Jerraud Powers. He was with new GM Tom Telesco in Indianapolis. … Restricted free agent running back Curtis Brinkley will not be tendered an offer.

30. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Gary and Clary need to go, would love to see Whitehurst gone as well, believe he saves close to $1.3M.. Don't understand why were taking a cap hit for a back up QB that big..

McClain I could see used here as a power back. In case Mathews goes down, and our back up needs a breather. Plus throw Edwin Baker in that mix, if he's even ready.