1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,684
    Stupid money day....

Tennessee signed former 49ers TE Delanie Walker to a 4-year, 17.5 million deal that included $8.6 million guaranteed.

2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,063
    That's stretching it. He's ideally a swing tackle. He doesn't have the knees to be a long-term starter, doesn't mean he can't be rotational option. If anything Harris has better physical tools than Dunlap (because we haven't seen what he's capable of with a year of pro-level strength and conditioning - or proper OL coaching - under his belt).

Issue is that people are getting too much of a "grass is always greener..." mindset and then getting bent because we're not jumping to empty our pockets for the first sod available.

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,063
    Again, I don't expect both Clary and Gaither gone in same season unless Telesco and McCoy are really sold on Harris or some other under-the-radar FA option. Anyone expecting a one year purge-to-turnaround was kidding themselves or ignorant to the process. New TV deal kicks in next year for the league which should hike the cap considerably - likely means we see one of the two as a June 1st cut this year and the other let go in 2014 or at the earliest in the cuts at the end of the preseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    King dunlap has the combination of size, strength, arm length, and athleticism to be a great tackle in this league.. not sure how you could say harris has better physical tools when hes 4 inches shorter than dunlap, has shorter arms, and has a lot less athleticism... and physical tools don't change through coaching, coaching simply teaches how to use your physical tools

5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,437
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,627
    I'd be putting out alot of feelers if he's interested, he would be a hell of an improvement over Mouton

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,063
    Physical tools mean squat as an OL if your technique is poor. Some of the technique can be taught away (though Dunlap's never been a natural knee-bender even back to when he was at Auburn), but if you bend at the waist habitually and can't get leverage - particularly when you're bordering on 6'9" - you're simply not going to be an effective blocker.

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,437
    A real sheep would be an improvement over Mouton. :p

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,627
    Our free agents scouting report

King Dunlap Scouting Report - Scouts, Inc.

Grade: 59 | Key

Comment: Dunlap has great length but average strength and athleticism for the position. He has long arms and can lock on and stay connected if he engages early in the play. He doesnt have great natural power, but can anchor versus bull rushers and is effective smothering defenders in the run game. He lacks great lateral quickness and agility as a pass-blocker and can get exposed versus smaller defenders with great speed and counter moves.

John Phillips Scouting Report - Scouts, Inc.
    [​IMG]
    Grade: 64 | Key

Comment: Phillips was able to secure seven starts in his second season in 2011 but was mostly used in multiple tight end formations. He is a big, strong, athletic tight end whose progression was hindered by an ACL injury that sidelined him the entire 2010 season. He has average speed and quickness to get separation as a receiver in the passing game but is a solid blocker at the point of attack.​

10. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    What your describing to me sounds like technique which i believe is taught through repetition and coaching... my deffinition of physical tools is the make up of a player which cannot be taught or learned through repetition such as speed speed strength (basically a combine warrior) .... I believe dunlaps upside is way above both harris and clary but thats just me, ur entitled to think harris has the higher ceiling but that wouldnt be a statement i would agree with

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,063
    *waits for people to freak out about Bears signing Bushrod... then goes digging for former NFL staffer and journalist comments about how they don't like the signing*

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,063
    Tools and ability go hand in hand. If you don't naturally knee bend after 12-plus years of playing football, you aren't going to do it. You're simply trying to overwrite far too much muscle-memory at that point. "Ceiling" is also tied to realistic, translate-able skills. Harris' poor technique is much easier to overwrite at this point than Dunlap's is. And at least by the metrics, he's more explosive out of his stance than Dunlap is, but only marginally. Not saying you have to agree, but there's not as much disparity between the two physically (aside from height and arm length - which it's not like Harris is too short or not long enough to be a pro tackle) as you make it out to be.

13. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    Maybe harris is more explosive off the ball but id also say his movement skills are definitely not what dunlap's are... i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one ;)

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,684
  15. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +497
    Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
    Chargers re-sign RT Jeromey Clary to 3 year $15 million contract. The contract is front loaded, so he stands to make 8.5 million in the first year.

• Creative Creative x 1
  16. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,627

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    This is a joke..... please tell me this is a joke.

Not funny dude. I knew it couldn't be true, but I still threw up a little in my mouth.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    It's a fake. I triple checked Schefter's feed just to make sure.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    Same haha whoever posted that has a sick sense of humor

20. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
  21. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
  22. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  23. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Well then cmon Warford!!! Glad to hear KC is shooting the death out of the hopes of Geno Smith being drafted.

Brought home MO town boy Chase Daniels. Grats on the great BACKUP QB acquisition.

24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,063
    Wouldn't be shocked to see the Cardinals engineer a trade for Palmer if they aren't keen on drafting any QB not named Geno Smith from this class (and that would likely involved having to trade up to ensure it). They need a competent QB if they have any hope of Fitzgerald not demanding a trade or, at minimum, insisting on not re-signing.

Why in God's name they continue to hold onto Tommy Kelly though is beyond me. The man is a walking yellow flag and locker room cancer - an overpaid one at that - and not terribly good either.

25. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,063
    This appears to be the philosophy Telescopo is taking:
    That's a Pats beat blogger; and I know someone is going to insist that they have "more talent" than we have, but all those teams have needs (the Niners slightly less so, but there are still notable ones on the Pats and Packers).

27. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,627
    To say nothing of McClain, I don't think whoever holds the reins of power now is any more competent than ol Darth Raider. I guess when push comes to shove it's always nice to know your team is more competent than the Raiders or Jets

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,627
    Side note; Dolphins also signed Philip Wheeler so not only will Dansby be released but likely Burnett will be too. Either one frankly would be good to bring back

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,063
    It's either that or McKenzie's had a plot from D1 that with the state that Al and then Hue Jackson left the Raiders it was going to take the kind of "blow-up" not seen in this league in a long time to build a contender. Would make sense (i.e. hired a rookie HC who could buy him a reprieve from the owner's ax and a crack at one more try since McKenzie has yet to draft his franchise QB)... might just be buying another year for a premium pick in a better QB class (i.e. what KC should have done/been doing).

30. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    The idea of kevin burnett coming back to SD is a welcomed one for me... was sad to see him leave