1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    I don't think Dunlap is a clear upgrade at all, in fact I really liked what Kevin Haslam did in his short time last year and he may end up winning the job.

I'd like to see us sign at least one more OT...and I wouldn't complain about us spending a dime on Jake Long so we can go get a damn pass rusher in the 1st round.

Clary just needs to be cut, for cap space if not his despicable play.

2. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325
    So much BS.

The Pats are usually big time FA participants.

Are you privy to the "plan for long term success" in use by the said teams? How does it compare to our so-called undefined "plan"?

Most here are concerned the Bolts are not using free agency enough/well. Telesco has said repeatedly that he wants to build primarily through the draft, and the lack of big moves in FA suggests that this is exactly what he's doing. Why are you yelling "build the damn thing right!"?

3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Still want to see Larry Grant (ILB), Chris Owens (CB), and Geoff Schwartz (OG/OT) or Leroy Harris (OG). Then of course, guys of our own like Aubrayo Franklin and Vaughn Martin. If we don't sign another OL, I think either Ty Green or Rex Hadnot, if not both will be back. There's clearly going to be competition at every OL spot except Center.

4. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    According to pro football focus King Dunlap started 12 games last season and graded out as the 33rd best tackle while Jeromey Clary started 14 games and graded out as the 38th... I agree depth is important but although i dont think Dunlap is a very solid starter i do think he could start in clary's spot which would allow us to cut clary and use that freed up cap space to add more depth along the line or maybe grab a starting ILB with the 2.3 million that would come off the cap from clary's release

5. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Lol, who are big names the Patriots have signed to big contracts? Adalius Thomas was the only and last one..

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    Well we need to cut Clary no matter what.

I was only saying Dunlap isn't the clear favorite to start, and I wouldn't be that comfortable if he does.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    yeah sorry i misinterpreted your comment... anybody that attempts to defend clary needs to be enlightened asap :poop::tup:

8. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I would be comfortable if he was starting at ROT, not LOT. I think IF, and a very big IF, Gaither comes back, you have mountain tops at tackles, who have quick feet for guys their size. Dunlap is still a work-in progress, and as he said, Joe D wanted to work with him in college, didn't get the chance and for sure will try to tune this kid out.

I feel even more comfortable he's depth behind Gaither as well, instead of Mike Harris.

Who do you see as an upgrade? Please don't say Eric Winston :(

I still say draft a tackle, whether its Eric Fisher or Luke Joeckel, I honestly can see one of these guys fall believe it or not, or Lane Johnson, Terron Armstead or Menelik Watson.

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Again, here's to hoping that the Rams sign Jake Long, as Rodger Saffold will want out because he does not want to play ROT. I'd give up a 2nd rounder for him, or maybe Jeff Fisher is stupid enough to take Jeromey Clary and we can add a 2nd/3rd rounder. This would open doors for trading out of 11, gaining a few picks or just selecting the BPA at 11.

Gaither wouldn't mind playing ROT, he is paid like a LOT, and believe he's been there before. Saffold is entering a contract year, and will want LOT money the next. And that's of course if Gaither plays this year. Telesco did say via trade or draft!

10. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +479
    Like this statement on Cox:

Last season, Cox finished with four interceptions and permitted just one touchdown pass. Quarterbacks had a passer rating of 44.5 against him, the lowest figure among all NFL cornerbacks, according to Pro Football Focus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    The problem with Cox is injuries. 18 games the last 2 seasons. Hopefully he stays healthy and produces.

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    I see Ryan Harris as one of the most underrated ROTs in the league.
    Watson I'm not as high on as everyone else.
    I like Armstead a lot, but I think he goes between 20-40, we won't have a shot unless we trade up in the 2nd round.

Who I really want (if he will sign a realistic contract) is Jake Long. I think he was born to play RT but can obviously play LT if needed, and if someone were to fall to us unexpectedly in the draft (like Melvin last year) we wouldn't be obligated to take Lane Johnson...or trade up for him like we might have to.

I'm all about spending big on Philip Rivers protection, I don't like to see us being overcautious and playing money ball with his health.

13. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    If the big 3 tackles aren't there at 11 i wouldnt mind trading down at all

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ETicket

Ratings:
    +325
    No comment on all the other BS?

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I was thinking trade into the later 20's and just take Terron Armstead. Call me crazy, but he can be up there in the Duane Brown class. He needs to get stronger, Duane Brown clocked in at 6-5/300 lbs at his combine, and today is 320. Terron Armstead is 6-5/306 lbs, and add 10-15 more pounds so he can anchor against the bull rush, he still has that quickness. And who is a better teacher than Joe D when it comes to the OL? Only a few in this league..

16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    Agreed. But I do want to make a play for Dion Jordan if he slides.

Philly - He will probably land here in their new 3-4
    Detroit - Not an ideal fit for 4-3, but not incapable of playing OLB
    Cleveland - After paying Kruger I think its doubtful they spend a top 5 pick on a pass rusher.
    AZ - Has bigger issues
    BUF - Will probably go QB, but they do need another 3-4 OLB.
    NYJ - Will not make it past here.

I figure we'd have to trade our 3rd, maybe just a 4th to Buffalo who will be desperate to trade down rather than reach so high on Nassib or Geno.

17. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Duane Brown as 315 at the combine...Armstead shouldn't go near that high...

18. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I think people are panicking because they saw what happened last year. Look at Green Bay, 2nd most sacks in the league, they still went to the playoffs, are they making all kinds of noise in FA? No.

Elite teams like Green Bay, New England, Pittsburgh, and even a down year last year due to their HC being absent, New Orleans are all remaining pretty quiet.

Those are all teams that will build through the draft, which is the right way, and Telesco is doing a great job signing a few guys here and there. Expect a $40M+ off-season one of the years he's here, he's gonna want that luxury of cap space like the Colts had this year, and replace these high, over priced players with younger players. Which is really how the league is starting to evolve. Average age of vet cuts was 31.5 years old. Meaning a lot of these older players are getting cut because their contract doesn't match to their production, a contract they receive by driving themselves up in free agency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
  20. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
  21. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    Yeah i really love dion jordan too... The only way id not go o line in the first at this point is if we have a chance to draft dion jordan or dee miliner ... I know both of those guys likely dont get out the top 10 but i dont see how we could pasd them up to fill a need if they make it to us... Even if it does cost us to move up a spot or 2 i probably wouldnt be complaininn

22. ETicket

Ratings:
    +325
    Not necessarily big names, big contracts, but very active.

Leigh Bodden, Joesph Addai (didn't work out so well), Brian Waters, Chad Brown, Mark Anderson, Deltha O' Neal, Jonathan Fanene, Alge Crumpler, Joey Galloway, Danny Woodhead, Andre Carter, Randy Moss, Junior Seau, Shan Springs, Monty Beisel, Rodney Harrison... etc. I'm sure I missed many as well, but lol indeed.

23. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    Even the pats though the first priority is to build the foundation of the team through the draft and free agency is to supplement the foundation... They may add what they believe the missing piece is through free agency but they dont build the team that way

24. ETicket

Ratings:
    +325
    Right, but here's where I'm calling BS. The OP was referring to ownership and the lack of a defined plan as a reason we are not "elite". It's funny that New Orleans is now considered an elite team though they've had the same owner almost 30 years and many of those years the team was a total joke.
    bag_head.jpg

25. ETicket

Ratings:
    +325
    And neither do the Chargers. We are doing and have done (last year a bit of an exception) the exact same thing. That's why I called BS. We are and have done exactly what these so-called "elite" teams are doing. So what's all the whining about?

26. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
  27. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    NO WE WANTED WINSTON JUSTICE!!!!!!! WRONG WINSTON GEHLKEN.....lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +450
    Jeez I'd hate to see Winston Justice. All I can think of is when he was an Eagle and he was the worst Tackle I had ever seen, even if he came out of USC etc.

29. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,670
  30. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Report: Derek Cox gets four years, $20 million with Chargers

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 14, 2013, 1:51 AM EDT

AP
    Former Jacksonville Jaguars cornerbackDerek Cox has agreed to terms on a new contract with the San Diego Chargers and is expected to sign it when he arrives in Southern California on Thursday.

The move by the Chargers to add a fourth year to the contract appears to be the final move to get the deal done. According to Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune, added another year to the deal Wednesday night. The deal ultimately winds up being for four years and $20 million with a $5.2 million signing bonus. Cox will get $10.25 million fully guaranteed with all of the guaranteed money loaded into the first two years of the contract.

With all the guaranteed money coming in the first two years, the addition of a fourth year to the contract won’t ultimately be problematic for San Diego. If they chose to release him after three seasons, the cap hit in year four would be minimal.

Cox has 12 interceptions over the last four season with the Jaguars. He recorded four interceptions a season in 2009, 2010 and 2012. He only played six games in 2011 before landing on injured reserve.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...cox-gets-four-years-20-million-with-chargers/