1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Best one i've seen....i think its deep back, a friend sent it to me...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Seems like we are swimming with interior linemen too. What about the Tackle position. So far only Dunlap?, yes we need help all over but we can only play 5 guys at a time.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Ok I'm glad we signed this guy just for the twitter account alone, get him on like Darren Smith's show or the World of Sports and it might count as some of the best radio EVAH.

On another note though, why this guy? There's better guards out there who could probably be had for alot less - how about someone like Kevin Boothe?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    Fellow Anteater,

What makes you think this is anything more than a minimum salary deal?

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    It probably is a min salary deal but why do that when you could get a starter at a slightly higher price?

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Report: Chargers want to keep Vaughn Martin

Posted by Josh Alper on March 22, 2013, 10:12 AM EDT

Vaughn Martin has made 27 starts on the defensive line over the last two years and a report on Friday indicates they’d like to see him make a few more in the future.

Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com reports that the Chargers hope to retain Martin, who is currently an unrestricted free agent. Martin was a fourth round pick out of Western Ontario in the 2009 draft and has been primarily a run stopper during his tenure in San Diego. He had 19 tackles and a sack in 12 starts during the 2012 season.

According to La Canfora, the Chargers will have a fair amount of competition for Martin’s services. The Eagles, Saints, Lions and Patriots are also believed to be interested in adding him to their defensive line rotations. All of those teams play out of a 3-4 base except for the Lions and Martin’s experienced in that look after his run with the Chargers.

The Chargers have lost Antonio Garay and Aubrayo Franklin from last year’s defensive line. They haven’t signed any players to bolster the unit.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

7. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    Because minimum salary players effectively don't even count against the cap. I doubt this deal is guaranteed, so other than the $3500/week or whatever it is we have to pay a training camp invite Dean Spanos isn't really out anything.

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Chargers | Danny Woodhead terms
    Fri, 22 Mar 2013 08:01:07 -0700

Updating previous reports, San Diego Chargers RB Danny Woodhead signed a two-year, $3.5 million deal with $1 million guaranteed. He received a $1 million signing bonus and will make $750,000 in 2013 and $1.75 million in 2014. If Woodhead plays at least 50 percent of the offensive snaps in either season, he earns an additional $100,000 for that season. If he plays at least 60 percent of the offensive snaps in either season, he earns an additional $200,000 for that season. That brings the maximum value of the deal to two years and $3.9 million.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2OHechQOx

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Chiefs are seeking a second-round pick in this year's draft as well as an additional pick in 2014 in trade discussions for franchise player LT Branden Albert.
    It's a steep price, but considering the number of tackle-needy teams, someone might meet it. The Saints and Chargers come to mind, as well as the recently-aggressive Dolphins. It's looking less and less likely Albert is still with the Chiefs come Week 1. Kansas City is working out Texas A&M LT Luke Joeckel on Friday.

10. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    A second and a third in 2014 seems worth it in my book

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    Why pay $9 million or more per year for a left tackle AND give up two high draft picks when we could have signed Jake Long for $9 million a year without giving up any picks? That price is too steep not so much because Albert isn't worth it in a vacuum but because we'd still be paying the free agent auction price for his services.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Because Ohrnberger is a lot more fun to say than Boothe?:D Other then John Phillips it appears Telesco has a mindset for bringing in funny sounding/immature names

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    I'd give them a 2 this year and a 4 next.

14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    To add to Matilack's post

I'd give them a 2 this year, 4th next year, and I'd even throw in Clary and Meachem :)

15. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,499
    And that's why you're never going to be an NFL GM. ;)

16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Teach me o' infallible one.

As you're one of the fools with a ***** for Warmack, I'd think you'd be glade to have the LT issue fixed with a 2nd round pick. But I doubt that thought had even crossed your silly little mind yet. It would also open up the possibility of trading down from 11...but again I'm always 2 or 3 steps ahead of you.

17. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,388
    The only thing you're overlooking is that KC wouldn't make this trade within the division.

18. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,388
    Clary & Meachem? Why would they want to make their team weaker?

19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    shhhh they wouldn't know that

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,499
    I knew you couldn't avoid the insults...... you are so ******* predictable. :rolleyes:

If you think giving up a 2nd this year, and a 4th next year, plus paying Albert $9 million is a good deal for the Chargers, then I can't help you. Not only is Albert far from a spring chicken, he's not what you'd call elite.

Why not use that #11 on a LT and not give up the extra pick, plus save the team a ton of money and cap space. Albert is only going downhill, why rent him for a year, when you can draft a starting LT for the next 10-12 years? The only way you'd make that kind of deal, would be if Albert still have more years on his contract..... he doesn't.

Unless you just woke up yesterday, you should know that this team is rebuilding. We don't need a high dollar one year rental that will cost us two valuable picks. Ask yourself this...... if Albert is so good, why are the Chiefs so anxious to be rid of him?

21. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Hate to say it but, If Gaither isn't cut on April 1st, I'm going to assume he is the starting LT and quickly set my sights on prospects like
    Johnathan Cooper, Star Lotulelei, Jarvis Jones, KeKe Mingo, Ziggy Ansah, and even Cordarelle Patterson

22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    And your making the massive mistake of assuming that there will still be a LT worth taking at 11, or at 45, or that anyone after the top 3 are even capable of starting as rookies. I desperately hope TT isn't that stupid. I'm merely placing a 2nd round value on a 28 year old known commodity who is game ready, compared to a 22 year old rookie who will most likely not be and indeed may never be. It's worth reminding clowns like you that most NFL draft picks never become everyday starters.

And as I said these oh so "valuable picks" can be recouped anyway if we are able to trade back, and at the very least it gives is much more flexibility in the draft. I understand there are cap implications, and if cap man Ed McGuire says we can do it...why not at least talk to his agent?

Also I find it funny how this is the second time you've said a 27 or 28 year old player is "not a spring chicken", and I would say no **** to that, except most players enter their prime between 26 and 30 so I'm just going to ignore your stupid exaggerated comment about their age.

Also you don't seem to understand Rivers isn't young either, and once he goes this whole thing is gonna get blown up no matter where we're at, like Warner after he retire from AZ. I'm not concerned who our LT will be in 10 years (in 2023!) we need to try to win sooner than later before people start getting fired again.

23. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,703
    If Gaither is cut it won't be until June. There's no need to cut him beforehand.

• Informative Informative x 1
  24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,499
    If you want to see a clown, look in the mirror, Matty. :laugh:

Yes, Albert is a "known commodity"..... he's decent, but not elite. He'll be 29 in November, so his skill set will only erode from here on out. He's getting paid franchise tag money this year ($9.6 million), and will expect to get paid similarly on any new contract. You will be paying top dollar to a guy who you hope can maintain his form, not a guy with further upside. I don't think he's worth it.

Again, if Albert is so good, why are the Chiefs so anxious to be rid of him? You have yet to answer that question. Surely, the Chiefs know that picking 1st doesn't guarantee their guy will be a stud LT to replace him, yet they are willing to take that risk.

Possible reasons?........ Albert is a good pass protector, but he's a poor run blocker. The Chiefs #1 weapon is Jamal Charles. Albert does not help in the running game. Albert also missed games with a bad back. So, you want to get rid of one high-priced LT with back problems, for another high-priced LT with back problems...... good plan. ;)

This is not the year to be adding big money free agents...... we aren't trading for Albert, and we aren't bringing in Dumervil. We have very limited cap space, and we're in the purging mode, not the spending mode.

As a fan, you can have any player wish list you like, but you should at least be clear-eyed enough to realize what direction the team is taking. Brandon Albert is not in our plans.

25. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Why would you say that? Hell if he's the Chargers only real LT option by May 1 then yeah someone somewhere screwed the pooch because that means we didn't even draft a sleeper guy. At that point I'd go to Rivers and sell him a life insurance policy as well as see about protecting his arm through Lloyds of London because there's no way he'll be in one piece by the end of 2013

26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Of course.:tup: But in theoretical trade land, whats the harm in that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,089

EXCELLENT stuff .......

Lovely to see the lads in mid season form ....IN MARCH !!!!!!!

Makes for a thoroughly enjoyable 2013 season when these two go at this early in the piece.

Go ya Bastage's, take no prisoners....... :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    AGAIN Blue you seem to be looking for an...ELITE 24 year old free agent with no injury history who will come for no more than $5M a year, and even more ridiculous is you seem to think if we don't trade our 2nd round pick for Albert we are sure to find an equal or better player at 45, which is an amateur 12 year old fan's perspective at best.

Who are some of the great 2nd round left tackles in the league Blue? Rodger Saffold? Charles Brown? Eben Britton? Tony Ugoh? Winston Justice? Khalif Barnes? I can think of two good ones in the last half dozen years, and thats Will Beatty (who's still more upside than proven), and Andrew Whitworth.

How much longer do you think Rivers (not a spring chicken himself as you like to say) lasts if Lane Johnson isn't there at 11, and Menelik Watson or Teron Armstead or Jordan Mills turns into one of the replaceable C+ guys I just named? Which is statistically, more likely than not. And for what? Because we don't want to pay a solid left tackle the contract he's worth? (And once again, what a player expects to get and what he does get are two different things...see Sebastian Vollmer, Andre Smith, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett etc...)

I have some ideas why the Chiefs might want to upgrade at LT, but there is no guarantee that we can do any better than Albert at 45, and when we're talking about the blind side of best Charger QB since Dan Fouts thats a pretty damn big deal. So yes I'd be willing to give up our 2nd round pick, pending a reasonable contract extension. If we couldn't come to an agreement...then forget it, don't sell the kitchen sink to get the guy, just trade up from 11.

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Why would you do that? I've continued telling people about the significance of cuts made after June 1st and I guess it just doesn't sink in (be it by choice of folks or continued lack of understanding).

If a player is cut before June 1st then the remaining cap hits for any accounted for years pertaining to his bonus monies must be accounted for in the year of the release. If he's cut on or after June 1st then his current year bonus cap-hit remains the same and any further bonus monies cap hits due will all be assessed against the following year's cap space.

30. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,499
    I don't know why you think all the decent LTs will be gone before we pick at #11. Not every team has the same needs as we do, and despite the claims that there's no elite QBs in this draft, a QB always seems to go in the top 10, regardless.

As far as Rivers goes, he survived last year with a UDFA rookie starting at LT. What makes you think we'll be in worse shape this year? All this talk of Rivers not surviving the season (looking at you Ant) is a bunch of Chicken Little :poop:.

Face it, we don't even know what offensive scheme the Chargers will be using this year. It's quite possible that Rivers won't be required hold onto the ball for as long. We might be running more, and throwing more quick hitting passes. There's been talk of using the shotgun and the hurry up offense more....... we just don't know at this point. To make proclamations about Rivers' survivability is premature, to say the least.

Somehow, in your mind, if we don't get one of three LT's in the draft, we are doomed. I find that attitude laughable. I want Telesco to draft BPA whenever possible. This team still has a bunch of holes, and I don't want to pass by a possibly great player, just to fill a position of need. We have a lot of needs. This is rebuilding time, and it won't be accomplished all in one draft.