1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'd bet on the draft or Harris.

2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    When details emerge on Vollmer's deal, then Andre Smith will go, and then we'll find out what Eric Winston is asking for I guess. Bryant McKinnie wouldn't be a bad signing, but he is 33 will be 34 when the season starts, and has had a few off the field incidents when he was with the Vikings.

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Sounds likely....... I think Harris still has potential.

4. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Dumervil to the Ravens on a 5 year deal..

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    With all the stars they lost, they had to give the fans something...... don't want them to end up hating Flacco. ;)

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Since their inception in '96 the Ravens have always been one of the best organizations in football, Ozzie knows how to run the show. Ed Reeds is not worth what he wanted, Kruger got overpaid, Ellerbee got extremely overpaid, and the guy makes up for it by signing a guy who had 17 sacks the last time he played in a 3-4. Brilliant move. Now I bet you Manti Te'o magically falls in their lap at 32, its just the way it goes for organizations like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Golly that's swell. I wish I was the Ravens, they probably get all the girls and they went 104-72 over the last ten years. Instead I'm stuck with this lame Chargers team that only went 103-73 over the same period. Matty, please tell me how we can be more like the Ravens. Then maybe I'll have the nerve to ask Sally to the dance.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    As Matty would tell you, they have two Lombardi's...... we have zero.

That's the only record he cares about. ;)

9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,358
    Well, as I understand it, Flacco's cap hit this year isn't that bad. It's not the reason they didn't keep players like Reed, Krueger & Ellerbe.

With Dumervil, I think think this makes the Ravens D relevant again. Certainly it's not what it once was, but it no longer a train wreck either.

10. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Yeah, I read this forum consistently, so I'm very familiar with the "all or nothing" mentality. I just don't happen to share it.

11. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    They still have a solid defense. Newsome let those players go brilliantly. They planned for this. That's why Ozzie is one of the best GM's in the league. The guy finds value in late round picks.

Haloti Ngata, Chris Canty, Arthur Jones, Marcus Spears, and Pernell McPhee across that defensive line. Their secondary is pretty solid as well, Ladarius Webb returning, Corey Graham, Jimmy Smith and Asa Jackson developing.

Now you add Elvis Dumervil with Terrell Suggs and Courtney Upshaw, and they might be a suprsingly good team once again this year.

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Fine by me. Rather him there than in Denver. Though it likely means Denver goes hard at Freeney now. Yippie! If they do manage to hoist a Lombardi out of this, maybe it's the purist European football fan in me, but I'll take some small amount of solace in the fact that the Donko's literally had to resort to buying the trophy.

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I'm sorry but what are we rooting for if not for our team to win a Super Bowl? Or at the least moving towards it?

Forgive me for not being down with the Blue Bolt / Concudan unambitious banner of "Well we used to be much worse, so missing the playoffs the last 3 years is okay", I just don't think that way, and to be honest I have less than zero respect for people who do. It just doesn't compute for me why more fans don't share my enthusiasm for holding an organization accountable for 6 consecutive seasons of regression, that concludes in a below .500 season where our $92 million dollar QB gets sacked 50 times.

**** if not for Philip Rivers, we'd have one of the worst organizations in all of professional sports. Instead we salvaged 4 2-5 starts by winning a lot of late season games against other non playoff teams.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Don't see the parallel myself....... they have to work under the same salary cap as everyone else. This isn't European football, and it isn't MLB.

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    There gonna be a wreck after Manning anyways, they better draft well, God, wish AJ Smith was their GM.

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    When did I say it was OK for the team to go downhill under AJ? I've been as critical of his "genius" moves as anyone. You have this fantasy that you're the only Charger fan who cares about winning a championship. :rolleyes:

You really need to pull your head out of your ***, Matty. Staring in the mirror all day has obvious warped your mind. :roflmao:

17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    1. Your sycophantic defense of Norv Turner.
    2. You continuing to take shots at me for nothing other than having higher standards and expectations than you.

You say I think I'm the only one who cares about winning a SB, and yet you continue to make dumb *** comments like this...
    So was this just a very pathetic attempt at humor? Or do you really not care? Cuz I just don't understand you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Yeah, Upshaw's got to step up... as much as he's able to. I said last year how he really wasn't the prolific pass-rusher people wanted to hype him as and lo and behold, he's failed to really stand out thus far. Take note, I've said the same thing about Jarvis Jones this year. Baltimore's still going to be a competitor as long as Ozzie's there, and quite like even past that as Eric DaCosta looks to be perfectly content to wait in the wings and succeed Smith when he retires - and has been learning at the knee of the man for a good number of years now.

There are several ways to get into the situation that the Ravens currently sit - where you can remain a continually competitive franchise even while having a fairly decent free agent turnover, although you're making sure to lock up your stars and key cogs every time - and we appear to be on one of those paths. One way of getting there is walking the walk right out the gate and doing something of a slow burn, though that allows the luxury of, once financials are in order, being able to jump on opportunities to trade for bargain players (in terms of guys wanting out of their current situation for whatever reason that give you the leverage to offer lesser compensation as the trading team is in a bind).

The trick, and where people should cut Telesco some slack if this is how he's approaching things, is that you 9fans) shouldn't get all bent out of shape if every perceived "need" isn't filled. This is a front office philosophy that preaches acquiring high end talent and trusting the coaching staff to adapt schemes regularly to be able to produce around those core pieces with competent, if semi-regularly changing, supporting cast members. This is a Ravens defense that was interchangeable virtually outside of four pieces (Ngata, Suggs, Lewis, and Reed) for the past near decade; the decade prior it was Siragusa, Lewis, Adalius Thomas, and Chris McCallister. That appears to be the direction they're shifting back to now as the core looks likely to be Ngata, Suggs, Webb, and a fourth yet to be determined (jury's still out on whether Jameel McClain is that guy, but they'll likely be looking for that 4th regardless of whether he is or not). The important thing is they constantly make sure they have at least one high-caliber player in each of the three levels: Defensive line, Linebacker, and Secondary. Back to that trick though, outside of your core players, you fix values of what is reasonable to your team to pay (what's effectively a "team friendly" contract) for your players who hit free agency. If those players are amenable to those terms, they're re-signed. If they're not, they can walk for better money and they can be replaced.

Where this works for sustaining long-term success is that it doesn't force the front office to have to restructure contracts to re-sign middle-importance free agents, and it doesn't necessitate that having to be done in order to retain the core players on one side of the ball or the other (i.e. the next extension they need to worry about is Torrey Smith's).

19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Yup, and Torrey Smith is going to excel in the WR1 role. That's what really lead them to get rid of Boldin.

They also drafted guys to battle for that WR2 role last year and years prior with picks like Tommy Streeter, Deonte Thompson, Tandon Doss, Laquan Williams and David Reed. And still have Jacoby Jones.

Everything they did this offseason was planned accordingly for this. They locked up their core guys on offense as well (Flacco, Rice, Yanda, etc.).

I think Telesco is trying to do something similar, cleaning up AJ's mess, while trying to still keep this team competitive for 2013.

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    It was a joke, which was lost on you, as most humor seems to be.

Am I surprised?..... not in the least.

I have been a Chargers fan probably longer than you have been on this planet, so I possess one thing you are sadly lacking, and that's perspective.

21. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    The wrench in TT's plan to just go for upside is that Rivers will be turning 32 this season.

22. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    So?

QB's can play til their 35 or so, even longer (see Manning, Brady, Favre). But, we must protect the guy, your body can only be hit so many times, and recent years, his been sacked close to 80 times.

If Rivers returns to his 2008-2010 form, he will be retained and most likely resigned if he plays well in his contract year. That will most likely run through both McCoy and Telesco's contracts of 4 years, then the front office will make their decisions form there.

Believe in Telesco, I wasn't his biggest fan when brought in, but when I heard follow up on him, I was overly impressed.

23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    There was no need to continue after this sentence, the problem here is solved, the problem being your just not very funny and you try too hard to be. There was nothing in that post that remotely suggested humor, and as you are a Norv apologist it was a natural step for me to assume your okay with never winning a SB as long as we hover around .500 forever.

My apologies for the misunderstanding. It's typically harder to pickup humor when your not looking at someone to begin with, much less when the joke teller is just not clever about it....haha jk lol jysk ;););):tup:

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    After reading back through a number of threads related to the draft, free agency, building a consistently competitive team, and the winning vs. losing mentality to "help" your team, one thing has become quite obvious to me with regards to the Bolt Talk community .... at least one person here should stick to admiring themselves in the mirror.

AJ ran this team's talent into the ground by alienation, poor talent evaluation, ignoring key positions, letting players walk with little to no compensation to the team, trading away picks for questionable reasons, and in general assessing himself as the smartest guy in the room. There's a lesson .... one of which is, when someone overtly acts like the smartest guy in the room, they usually aren't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Just because you aren't able to pickup on subtle humor, doesn't mean the joke was at fault. The main problem, is that you take yourself WAY too seriously. You certainly can't take any good natured ribbing, as your responses over the years have amply demonstrated. It's just a football forum, it's not life and death. We're all here just sharing opinions on the game.

You seem to take it personally when people disagree with you..... such as my supposed "sycophantic" defense of Norv Turner. I just don't think he's as bad a coach as you do. Why that's such a big deal to you, remains a mystery.

I've said many times, that I place more blame on AJ Smith, for the deterioration of the roster, both through bad drafting and letting key players go. That doesn't mean I think Norv was blameless, just that he had no control over the loss of personnel. You can see what this team is left with now..... that's AJ's doing.

26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Thats great for you buddy. Get funnier, and I promise I'll laugh more. :tup:

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    I'd settle for a few insightful posts from you, but we can all dream. ;)

28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Manning is 38. Age isn't to a QB what it is to a corner or running back. You can be a good or successful qb later into 30s, Montana was. The issue is that rivers won't be good or playing much longer if he doesn't get protection

29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    No one really knows how much fuel Rivers has left in the tank, he is so much different from any other QB with his side arm throw where you'd imagine the older he gets the more wear and tear it is putting on his motion, I don't know how it feels for him, but when I throw how I throw then throw the side arm how he does I feel a lot more strain and tension
    In truth Rivers prime is now, The sad news is we're slowly wasting them fixing up a mess.

30. ScarlosSantana

ScarlosSantana BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4

Looks like so far that's exactly what Telesco is doing. Not a bad plan and the players he's picking up aren't too bad either. Not blockbusters but not terrible. Looks like he's loading up on depth first then maybe addressing possible starters via the draft, maybe?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2