1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +754
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +754
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Andre Smith is unhappy with Bengals offer and is looking for another team, should we at least inquire?

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    UTKevinAcee
    By the way, @davidcanter pulled the prank, first and foremost, on Eric Weddle himself. Weddle fell for it at first. Hilarious.
    4/1/13 6:53 PM

MartyCaswell
    Ha yes. Weddle fell for it too RT @DSmithShow: We?? RT @MartyCaswell: Wait a second...or perhaps it's April Fools. And we're all suckers!
    4/1/13 6:51 PM

• Like Like x 1
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,584
  6. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +123
    [​IMG]

7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Although that picture looks really really bad, you've gotta keep in mind how big these guys are. He's probably at around 25% bodyfat. On a 335 lbs man, that's 84 lbs of fat, and 251 lbs of lean body mass. I lift a lot, and that's 74 lbs more lbm than I've got on a similar frame (6'2 vs 6'4). You'd probably think that this guy is pretty flabby as well:

[​IMG]

He's the world record holder for Olympic weightlifting.

8. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Seriously, what exactly do we have to lose by meeting with Smith? He's better than any tackle on the roster, he could conceivably play LT or RT, has shown improvement throughout his time in Cincinnati, why not? Yes I know there's concerns about his work ethic and weight, frankly the team should be able to handle it better when not dealing with a desperate GM (AJ Smith)

9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +754
    At this point I'd rather have quantity over quality.

Resign Corey Lynch

bring in Ryan Harris, Winston Justice, or Eric Winston on a 2yr deal

Bring in Maake Keemoeatu or Sione Pougha

We should still bring in a couple LB's inside and out.

We need all the depth we can get

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +754
    I really like that Oakland pick up of Tracy Porter. Sure he struggled last year, but you know he can play and I'm sure they didn't break the bank to sign him. What we need is to bring in some players to fill spots, I don't even care if they make the roster or not I would just like to see 2 or 3 players at each position fighting it out to truly put the best 53 man roster on the field. I like how McCoy said he doesn't care how much money a player is making, no spot is set (with the exception of Rivers and Weddle I'm sure)

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think that with the goal being to get younger that we're not going to see much more in the way of vet FA signings. We're probably going to see the roster get fleshed out with Undrafted FAs after we've made our 7 selections. I also think that if one of the top 3 tackles isn't on the board that we're going to trade down and accumulate additional picks.

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +469
    with who? what player will be there at #11 that teams in the 20's must have? nobody (except maybe the vikings) needs a QB (if Gino is there), maybe a team falls for Cordarrelle Patterson or Lotulelei but I don't see many teams trading up to #11

13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +754
    I would like to trade down only to get more picks but, even if one of the 3 LT's are not there one of the quality NT's or OLB's will be. Out of Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson, Mingo, Jordan, Lotulelei, Ansah, Warmack, Cooper (although the latter picks at OG aren't a great of value, they still could be considered premium players)

The talent level of LT's drop significantly after the top 3 but the same can be said about the pass rushers, the value we'd get by staying at 11 is far greater than trading back. I know liars month is here but a lot of reports are suggesting the pick at 50 could be as talented as the pick at 15

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,584
    Cards trade for Palmer pretty much solidifies our fate... Trade up to 6 or roll the dice and pray you land the next Andrew Whitworth in round 2.

15. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +123
    Haha not saying its a bad thing or anything like that, its just fun showing people that picture cuz it looks bad.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    He didn't just struggle, he had a seizure that lead to issues all year and ended up getting a concussion late in the season that lead to him missing the playoffs.

17. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +754
    A couple of guys I'd be interested in are

As I noted earlier

SS Corey Lynch: He is a serviceable back up and could end up starting the season until Taylor is ready to play. He also shouldn't cost us much, if anything it'll be around 715,000 vet Minimum with a signing bonus of some sort.

LB Akeem Jordan: He too is young and wouldn't break the bank. He would provide depth at the line backer position, possibly starting next to Butler. Another guy who could be had @ the vet min.

OT Jason Smith: 2nd pick overall in 2009 who is officially a BUST. I would still like to bring him in a least as a camp body, Also could be had for real cheap. At worst he doesn't make the team, at best he re vamps his career and we get a real steal. He's still only 26, and could possibly play RT and beat out everyone's favorite whipping boy, Clary!

18. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +299
    Is your actual name Joe Clark? :)

http://boltblitz.com/?p=1911

19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +754
    Ha! No, I read that article, agreed with it, shared the opinion, that's all. I did fix the wages he had put up.

20. ETicket

Ratings:
    +299
    Lol - The guy was making good sense so naturally I thought of you. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  21. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,594
    really not liking how the chargers haven't so much as dipped their toe back into FA even with some of these vets going for very low salaries. As much as I get and support team's push to build through draft when Asamougha is getting 3 million none guaranteed, come on at least make an offer or two

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. ETicket

Ratings:
    +299
    With what money? We can only afford FA's at rock bottom prices. It's a waiting game.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    3 mil is out of our price range. The only contracts the team can afford are vet min, and they probably don't want to sign anyone to a vet min contract because they're more interested in picking up rookie FAs.

24. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,380
    Yeah, that $7 million that Acee talks about isn't really money we can spend. We'll need probably $5 million+ just to sign the draft picks, and you need some money in reserve to sign players during the season if anybody goes down to injury.

The only way to free up money to sign somebody, is to cut player.

25. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +754
    When all is said and done june 1st we'll still have @ 4 million
    setting aside 5 for the rookies and 2 for emergency. There are still ways to work around contracts like Garay last year for instance. I still think we make some pick ups, possibly after the draft to fill the remaining spots

26. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +754
    What concerns me also is how they're too quiet when it comes to the draft, Nobody knows who they met with or who they're interested in. The silent treatment isn't necessary when everyone around the league knows how much of an upgrade we need at the O line.

It would be nice to hear anything, even if it's pure B.S.

27. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    It concerns you? Why don't you just drive down to Charger's Park and ask Telesco if you can see his draft board? :cool:

28. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +124
    It would concern a lot more if they did talk about their draft plans. How many front offices are telling the fans their draft plans?

• Agree Agree x 3
  29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +754
    Not concerned, in a keeping me up at night sort of way. Truth is we don't know who Telesco is or what he's thinking, At this point, I think everyone knew who AJ was enamored with and which way we were swinging.

The part that concerns me is does he truly believe LT is the biggest area of need followed by pass rusher or OG?
    or is he thinking, "wow this Cordarelle Patterson sure is exiting to watch!" or "Manti Teo, you, comp-lete, me"

We just don't know, and since our beat writers aren't being told squat, we won't know until the draft.

You hear Pittsburgh bringing in a ton of OLB's, along with groups of tight ends work private workouts and interviews which tells us which way they're headed,

NE has been looking at a ton of WR's

As I type this I just read:

Oregon LB Kiko Alonso visited the Chargers on Tuesday, according to draft insider Tony Pauline.
    Alonso will visit the Vikings on Wednesday and the Titans some time next week. Pauline calls Alonso "one of the most scheme diverse linebackers" in the draft. Our own Alen Dumonjic really likes the Oregon defender's ability to impose his will physically on blockers behind the line of scrimmage.
    What upsets me is other writers are breaking Chargers stories while our UT guys are writing about light bulbs, and other players signing with other teams.

30. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Perhaps that's on the quality of the UT & not our FO? Maybe this FO doesn't want the likes of the UT beat writers making their inane comments, or the fans jumping up & down because the new regime hasn't done x, y, or z?

• Agree Agree x 1