1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,453
    I think the Chargers front office is treating with U-T writers with all the respect they deserve.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    Probably more than they deserve. :ninja:

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Respect is earned. ;)

4. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    Do you think they have earned less than zero? :ninja:

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    In Acee's case, yes......... Gehlken is still young, and has room to grow (or decline).

6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Chargers signed DE Jarius Wynn to a one-year contract.
    Released by the Packers at final cuts last season, Wynn ended up appearing in seven games for the Titans, notching six tackles. He'll look to latch on as a situational pass rusher in San Diego.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    I guess that's your cheap Martin replacement....... expect more big name signings in the future. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Hey, if it adds depth and experience to a position we don't need a starter at, Im all for it. For the record although he was beat out and released in GB, he also was more productive with them when he was used how we are going to use him, As a 3-4 DE.

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
  11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Oh, I'm not against the signing by any means..... just saying that fans shouldn't expect to see anything more than this type of signing for this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Meh, another player with little to show on his resume. I don't see how he's any kind of an improvement over the UDFAs currently backing up Liuget and Reyes

13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Gehlken and Heilbrunn are still relative babes in the industry, not to mention Annie's occupied with the Padres for at least the first 3 or so weeks until they fade back into obscurity. Canepa never met a Chargers move he didn't feel like it was his duty to criticize as though he's some great authority on how to properly run a franchise (or even has the basic intelligence to identify comps). Acee's like the bitter old man sitting out on his porch yelling at the kids on their bikes to slow down. AJ, and his Golden Ticket for inside access to the front office, got canned before Acee could work his way into a more lucrative talking head position with the sports segment of a TV network (ESPN/ABC, NBC Sports, Prime Ticket) and now he's got the same clout (if not less) with the new brass as Gehlken does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Actual playing experience would be one thing - which is something that Harrell and Scaife can't claim.

Put simply, very few vets are going to sign the "bad contracts" (i.e. the one-year, "show me" deals) until A LOT closer to camp. This has been confirmed by a number of media outlets. It's in those players' best interest to do so (in part because none of them want to risk injury in OTA's and mini-camps if they're only on a one-year deal) particularly because they want to ensure they'll actually get playing time, which there's less ability to project that until after the draft is over.

15. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    I have to to disagree with the bolded statement. Most of the time fans were totally in the dark as to what AJ was thinking draft wise. That's how we ended up with the Larry English's, Jonas Mouton's, and a plethora of picks that to this day make me scratch my head (Hester, I'm looking at you... and Buster, you're the poster boy of stupid picks).

16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    On the topic of U-T writers, I'm actually enjoying most of what I read from Tom Krasovic. Has he just been flying under my radar all this time or did he only recently start writing articles on our Bolts?

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    He started writing Chargers stuff fairly recently..... part of the U-T makeover. ;)

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    I like it. Seems like he's able to express an opinion (and one based in facts... hint, hint Canepa!) without feeling like he has to stroke his own ego and reference his own past op-ed articles. Kind of refreshing.

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Poll results: Chargers not impressing
    April, 3, 2013
    By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

The San Diego Chargers have been one of the more quiet teams in the NFL this offseason.

Quiet isn’t always bad. It may just mean the team is methodically going about its business. According to our AFC West poll this week, the quiet has been unimpressive.

We asked readers if they were satisfied by the work of the new San Diego regime. As of 1:50 p.m., 70 percent of the voters were not satisfied, while 30 percent of the voters were satisfied.

I understand the lopsided vote. Fans want to see impact. The Chargers haven’t had many big-splash signings. They have added some nice pieces. But there is more work to do, especially on the offensive line. Still, San Diego hasn’t lost a ton of coveted players, either.

I think the new regime is changing the culture and trying to build a new feel around the team. It is a work in progress, but so far the results haven’t concaved :confused: many folks, whether it is fair or not.

20. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I really liked Logan Harrell coming out of Fresno last year. He was quite productive his senior year, I think AJ actually made the right move signing him as an UDFA. I think he can possibly see some time this year at DE, and Damik Scafe got some snaps towards the end of last year as well, I don't mind them backing up Kendall Reyes and Corey Liuget, however, I'd like to see another vet signed to see if Harrell and Scafe can actually beat them out for a roster spot.

Jarius Wynn isn't a bad signing, nothing to go crazy over though.

I wouldn't mind Andy Studebaker either, I think he is more of a 3-4 OLB rotational guy, rather a DE like he was in KC, plus he knows the division.

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Mel Kiper posits historic run on left tackles
    By Tom Krasovic11:02 A.M.APRIL 3, 2013

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr., who's in his 35th year of analyzing the NFL draft, said it's "50-50" whether Oklahoma left tackle Lane Johnson lasts to No. 11, the pick owned by the Chargers. Our Michael Gehlken explained why Kiper sees it as an even chance.

I found other comments interesting in Kiper's teleconference with reporters on Wednesday.

Although Johnson played left tackle for only one season, Kiper said Johnson, two or three years from now, "may be the best" of the left tackles in this class.

That's a strong statement, given that Kiper and other analysts say that either of two other left tackles, Texas A&M's Luke Joeckel and Central Michigan's Eric Fisher, could be drafted first. Johnson may need to improve his leg strength, Kiper said. That he also played right tackle is a bonus.

Kiper said no other left tackle is a first-round talent. In that regard, he differed from NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock, who said Florida State’s Menelik Watson is a “natural” left tackle but is raw. Kiper said Watson is a right tackle.

Arkansas Pine Bluff’s Terron Armstead is the only left tackle whom Kiper gave a second-round grade. Armstead ran the fastest 40 by an offensive lineman in the NFL combine’s history, and CBSSports.com reported that Chargers offensive line coach Joe D’Alessandris worked him out for an hour on his pro day.

Florida's Xavier Nixon is Kiper's favorite left tackle for after the second round.

Kiper said he's hearing that quarterbacks Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib will be drafted in the second round. He said he won't be surprised if Geno Smith is drafted among the top 10, but that he still considers Smith a "20-to-32" talent.

Twice on Monday, Kiper spelled out scenarios in which Joeckel, Fisher and Johnson are drafted before the eighth pick.

History would be made if he’s right. Based on data from pro-football-reference.com, which lists every NFL draft since 1936, three offensive tackles have never gone before the eighth pick. In just four of the 46 drafts since 1967, the first AFL-NFL draft, have three tackles appeared among the top 10. Typically, only one left tackle is among the top 10 draftees.

Why the possible difference this year? Most draft analysts say Joeckel, Fisher and Johnson are athletic enough to play left tackle. Plus, it's a down year for quarterback prospects.

"In a normal draft they’d be between seven and 15,'' he said. "In this draft, they get pushed up."

22. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    On a side note, take last year for example, we were all cracking jokes at the "they signed the wrong LB named Williams" signing.

We were all displeased with the DX signing shouting "unless he can play LT, that was a pointless signing"

A year later, both were labeled in the please resign category. Although none of these signings are ever going to make the "greatest fa signing of all time" list, as long as they can play, as long as they can add depth, as long as they take away the "must fill a need" factor in the draft, I'll be happy. I'm sure Telesco and his coaches are studying these guys before they sign them looking at and finding something they like, where they think they can contribute.

23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    The Union-Tribune San Diego's Kevin Acee thinks 2013 is Philip Rivers' "final audition" with the Chargers.
    Acee bases this on San Diego's decision not to restructure the 31-year-old's contract this offseason despite being up against the cap. Rivers has three years left on his seven-year, $98.25 million deal, and he's set to count $17.1 million against the cap this season. He has turned the ball over 47 times and has been sacked 79 times over the last two seasons. If Rivers doesn't get some help along his offensive line, things may not change much.

If its true, they better get him the O line help he needs other wise it's B.S.

24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    No **** Acee, kinda what I've been saying the last 4 months.

And guards won't fix the problem, OT'S WILL!

25. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I just don't see where we the OT's are? The draft? Top 3 might go in the top 10, we cannot afford to trade up and lose a valuable 2nd or 3rd day selection as we have other holes to fill against a tight cap.

I still like the King Dunlap signing, he's not a starter, but a very good back up. He's solid in pass protection, which, if Rivers gets 3 seconds more than he did last year he'll start to tear it up.

26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    If you're "filling holes" with 3rd and 4th round rookies you're already in trouble.

The only things we NEED from this draft are an OT, an OG, and an OLB. Everything else is frosting, thats my honest opinion. And there is no reason we can't trade down in the 2nd or the 3rd or the 4th and gather more picks for players to fill out the roster.

We're not going to fill every need, we just need to fill the ones we need to be competitive, and that starts with Philip Rivers staying on his feet.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Since you're in such a good mood, you should enjoy Don Bank's Mock Draft. ;)

28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696

:sick: Just bad value. I'm not surprised to see a lot of mocks with Cooper, but I would be surprised given Telesco's upbringing (for lack of a better word) if he values guards that much.

Its just hard for me to accept that they'd let Vasquez go to the Broncos...only to spend the 1st round pick on guard. But hey, maybe he's the next Marshall Yanda (5th round pick himself ;)) or Josh Sitton (3rd rounder;))

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    A guard that can play (and would project as a future center) would have that much value. Not saying it's the ideal situation (the past teams that have taken guards inside of the Top 12 have really had "great" OL's: Pittsburgh, Miami, Carolina - but they also aren't bottom rung OL's either). Again if Cooper is drafted, that's why I value him and him only over Warmack at any pick inside the Top 20, it's because he's viewed as a long-term center who would play OG until Nick Hardwick retires.

I wouldn't touch Warmack inside the Top 20 - don't care that he's a better prospect than DeCastro (it's really not by much... he's a better in-line run-blocker, but DeCastro was/is actually a more consistent pass-blocker). That said, I have serious concerns about Keke Mingo's ability to maintain weight - if that weren't an issue he'd be a sure-fire Top 10, probably Top 5 pick for me because of his ceiling (all his issue are coachable) but you're not going to find a sub-240 pound effective 3-4 rush LB.

To the part of your post that's quoted, if they spend a 1st round pick on Cooper it won't be because they think he's the next Yanda or Sitton or even Levitre, but rather because the view him as the next Maurkice Pouncey or Ryan Nick Mangold.

Also, Brees isn't the most mobile of QB's (yes, he's not as slow of foot as Rivers is, but he's also not that much faster). And yet, the Saints have managed to deploy a system by which intelligent QB recognition (and quality mechanics - like a quick release) and effective scheme have managed to compensate for average-at-best OT play. Not saying that McCoy's scheme is identical to Payton's, but it certain has shown more instances of being closer to it than Norv's ever did.

30. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +44
    "Tyson Clabo soon to be released by Atlanta"
    Clabo, 6'6" 329lbs, ROT starter since 2008. Definitely an upgrade over Clary! The money we save cutting Clary could be put toward Clabo's contract.