1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +129
    Yes, but i was talking about Freeney more as a replacement for Barnes rather than he would be a replacement for SP or a starter.

An interesting situation would be if we signed Marcus Trufant and then drafted his brother Desmond.

Why dont you have any names of OT's? Thats probably the one position we need to get a FA at right now...

2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    If Freeney does in fact not return in Indy, he will play for a 4-3 team. He won't want to be a back up either. He has a home in Miami, and the Dolphins will be switching to a 4-3. The Seahawks are interested, the Lions will be as well. Tons of 4-3 teams.

Were gonna keep either Gaither or Clary, both will not be walking. Were not going at "big free agents", like Demetress Bell, Jermon Bushrod, Ryan Clady, Jake Long, Andre Smith, Sebastian Vollmer, Brandon Albert, Sam Baker, and Phillip Loadholt, etc. etc.

So going by our current roster, with Jared Gaither, Jeromey Clary, a 1st round pick at OT that will be a starter, Mike Harris, Kevin Haslam and also Brandyn Dombrowski (hopefully re-signed) who can swing to OT, I don't think we will go after a OT in FA at all.

Demetress Bell will still command a $2-3M a year type salary, despite the bad year.

3. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +129
    I think by signing a guy like Bell for a cheap salary like that, we'd be able to avoid taking an OT unless it was absolute BPA (so Eric Fisher). Bel lisn't a big name, and will barely cost 2.5 if he's lucky. Domb should be gone IMO, he's not a OT and he doesn't fit what we're likely switching to at OG, and thats even ignoring the bigtime injuries he's had the last two years...just completely pass on him. Haslam isn't anything special, and I'm not sure about Harris, he'll get a chance to show his worth and earn a spot over someone like Clary who can be cut. Harris needs to be on the PS, which unfortunately he's not eligible for anymore...

I agree that its not likely for Freeney to come to us, i just thought it would be an interesting idea.

2mil a year is DIRT cheap...esepcially for a potential OT.

4. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Can Demetress Bell, a guy who couldn't fill in this past season when called upon, and also a guy who has played in/started in only 11 games the past 2 seasons, be relied on? No way. We have Gaither, who has a past with injuries, we don't need 2 OT's were paying $ to hurt. I'd rather spend the $2-3M elsewhere.

That being said, picking 11th in the draft, with guys like Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, and Lane Johnson, whoever falls to us need to be drafted. We have a hole at LOT, and Clary just plan sucks at ROT. We need a OT now, especially one of those 3 guys, who will fit the ZBS scheme because they are so athletic.

Dombrowski is a quality backup at 4 OL positions. And the Chargers have been letting versatile guys like him go and explains why we are always lacking depth on this team.

And if Andy Levitre will head the OG class, and command more than $6M I have no problem not pursuing him at all, Vasquez as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    If anything Gaither and Clary wise, both should be cut. Gaither due to what has happened with his history as well as to what we hear how other players feel about him.

Clary's contract was set up to be feast or famine, the first 2 years were set up as a reasonable insurance to see if he could get better, at this point its clear he hasn't therefore paying a guy who is maybe only worth a back up role right now, 5 million is ridiculous. The only way I think he stays is a major restructure in his contract.

That said I don't believe we could afford to lose both so if I had to chose I say Clary gets the walking papers.

If Vasquez gets more money elsewhere good for him, he deserves it. Rumors going around the league are that teams "love" him and possibly view him as a potential LG.

Realistic candidates at O/G

Tyronne Green
    Chad Rinehart
    Kory Lichtensteiger

All 3 are best suited to play in a ZBS and all 3 shouldn't command a high price.

The next thing I suggest I have a feeling will get mocked and laughed at, but I wouldn't be 100% against it.
    If we can't bring back Phillips or Barnes. Why not bring back Merriman? I know he isn't "Lights Out" anymore but if we can have him come in for Johnson on 3rd downs doesn't sound too shabby, I don't actually think he'll demand the moon as far as contracts go

6. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I actually watched Merriman a few games while Buffalo was on TV here on the east coast, and.............. he sucks. I saw OT's push him onto his backside. Few times he got pressure, but he just looked terrible out there. I wouldn't try and bring him back.

I didn't mention any of our own FA's I'd like to see back. I'd like Antwan Barnes, Brandyn Dombrowski, Tyronne Green, Quentin Jammer (at SS) Vaughn Martin, Nick Novak, Dante Rosario, and Micheal Spurlock.

7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629

This is a fantastic OT class at the top, with a lot of talent, even if it isn't immediate elite-level starter talent. There is no better time to draft a LT than now. There is no point in "avoiding" taking a premium player in a top-heavy class at that position when you are in desperate need of a player for that position. The only reason to give Bell a dime is to be a RT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
  10. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +129
    I think he can, neither work ethic, nor injuries was his issue in Philly. His issue was not being a great fit for what they do on the OL, and being thrust into the mix before he really understood what they're system demanded . Nearly every report i've looked at cites that as the source of the problem in Bells case, that he didn't adapt to Mudd's scheme/concepts well.

With us bringing in the OL coach that he thrived under (Joe D), that would resolve a majority of the issues he had with the Eagles, and i think that would make him a formidable OT, while still allowing us to take a OT if needed. While Gaither still has a shot, i think he is ultimately cut (probably somewhere between OTA's and Preseason rather than FA's or before), and I think we may even completely overhaul the OL group with the new coach coming in, and likely new system, so we could see Clary (who would be a trainwreck in the ZBS), Gaither (eventually) and one of the 2 OG's gone from this year. Our new OL coach is known to see get other teams trash (or cuts and turning them into solid starters), and developing new OL very well, so hopefully we'll see some changes that hopefully end up positively.

And to the guy talking about how there's no better time to draft an OT now. I agree, as long as the talent is there. But once Fisher/Joeckel are gone, i'm really skeptical that any LT will even help us right away, so if nothing else, a guy like Bell (who will come cheap, IMO 1-2.5mil a year, and is only 28) is a stop gap for us to draft more of a project LT (ie Menalik Watson, Kyle Long, Reid Fragle, a couple more guys) and groom him for the spot without having to spend the 11th pick of the draft on one. If Fisher/Joeckel is there, 100% pull the damn trigger, and Bell/Draftee can play RT for a few years, but if the talent isn't there, it gives us a buffer to say we dont need to reach for a top 20 prospect with the 11th pick, we can take a pass rusher like Mingo/Jordan etc who can be an elite player, over settling for a project LT (Lane Johnson)

11. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    The Bills released LB Nick Barnett and S George Wilson today.

Any thoughts on whether or not the Chargers try to sign one (or both) of these guys?

12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Yes on Barnett, He's the one I wanted the Chargers to sign When they brought over Spikes and LaBoy

13. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +129
    Not interested. Barnett really struggles getting off blocks, and Wilson is more of an in the box SS that is disappearing in this league.

14. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
  15. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
  16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    He has a history with injuries. Explain his 2011 year, he only played in 5 games. The guy didn't "thrive" under Joe D, he had one "good" year and that was in 2010. I mean if he comes cheap, I wouldn't say no, but cheap to me is a 1 yr/$1M type deal. If were gonna talk about Joe D's former players that are out there I rather talk Chad Rinehart and Andy Levitre (unlikely).

But, Bell will be 29 when the season starts, I'm all set. Time to move on with these FA OT's, I can't deal with these guys anymore, not a lot of OT's hit FA, get a good contract and come up big time for their new team.

Draft, Draft, Draft. Lane Johnson and Eric Fisher have a higher ceiling than Luke Joeckel in my eyes.

Tough to say that considering the guy has had 242 tackles the past 2 seasons. The Bills switched to a 4-3 last year as well, and he still ended up with 112 tackles.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +129
    You forget that he basically had 2 NT's (that would be top 5-10 NT's if they were a 34 team) playing in front of him hogging blocks in Dareus and Kyle Williams. He sucks getting off blocks, he cant do it, this is coming from the guy who started the website Bills draft and is a big bills fan. He's been consistently covered up by elite DL wherever he's been.

I'm absolutely fine with drafting a LT...as long as the Talent is a match for where we're drafting. Lane Johnson's potential is there, but he's just not NFL ready, and he will struggle, heavily at that, if asked to start in the NFL this year. Eric Fisher is the only LT i want at the time we pick, as i'm pretty confident Joeckel is gone. I'd much rather have the flexibility to take Mingo/Jordan/Warmack as the BPA at that spot, rather than be stuck into reaching for a boarderline top 20 prospect in Johnson.

Your basically saying, oh we're not going to do whats best for the team, because we've decided to ignore the 2nd most important position on the team and have to address that now, where we could have an elite pass rusher on the team, along with a solid LT.

And before you spew this crap at me again, I still want a OT in the draft, but if the talent isn't there, we need to be able to take the player who will improve this team the most, not be pidgenholed into taking a 1st round OT. I'd rather have Menalik Watson/Kyle Long with Bell starting for a year and Barkevious Mingo, then have Lane Johnson

18. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Deadlifting 400+ lbs made the blood leave my head, resulting in me posting a link to my lifting blog here for shits and giggles.

19. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Ohhhhhh, that was you! I was so confused. OK, now I'm sort of impressed :cautious:, I guess.

20. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Don't be too impressed, I can barely walk today.

21. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +447
    Someone who knows more about O line schemes than me has said Vasquez suits more the power blocking over ZBS. As a result he'll more than likely be gone if we go ZBS. I reckon Hardwick might be the last man standing from the 2012 O line.

22. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    This is probably a good thing.

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Has there been any confirmation as to the move to a ZBS?

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81

Good point on Wilson, but I had the idea of lining Barnett up as an ILB and possible replacement for Spikes. He's a tackling machine who did a great job inside when he was in the Packers 3-4 defense and would bring some veteran leadership to the front 7 should TKO get cut.

25. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't think there's been a "We're now a ZBS" announcement, but our line coach is a ZBS coach, the top tackle prospects in this draft are ZBS tackles, the only linemen we have on the roster likely to be on the roster when the season starts are best suited to a ZBS and our HC and OC have experience with a ZBS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I also think they were running a zone block in Denver

27. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +129
    I was talking to some Bills draft guys on twitter that know their team really well, they were very unhappy with Barnetts play this year. A sure tackler, but outside of that, couldn't shed blocks, slow in coverage and all he did was rake up tackles for a 3-4 yard gain. Again, its easy to play with a DL with Dareus, Kyle Williams (two if the biggest block hogging DT's in the league) as well as Super Mario...since your almost never needing to even thing about shedding blocks.

We already have our tackling machine in Butler, we need someone who can take on blocks and force the play back to Butler's side.

28. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +129
    I dont think Wiz has ever ran the ZBS, but for the most part, he's been known not to have much say in the OL duties (gave Russ Grimm complete control of the OL and scheme for the running game in AZ, even though Grimm was mad at him for not giving him more say in the playcalling of the run game). Denver ran it last year, but other than that McCoy has basically been a power blocking guy, but again, he's a QB/WR guy, not a running game guy. And Joe D (OL coach) is very well known for being a ZBS guy, and he's really good at it, took Buffalo's AWFUL OL and turned it into one of the better run games in the NFL...quickly at that.

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Nothing formal yet, but the writing is on the wall. To be clear, every team runs zone-blocking at one point or another, even the power-heavy schemes use it from time to time. And nothing I've seen in the zone-scheme that either McCoy, Whisenhunt, or D'Alessandris have run in the past individually is the type of ZBS everyone expects when they think of the Shannahan and Kubiak, cut-heavy approach (which is a good thing because it's entirely possible that cut-blocking by OL may be made illegal or at least heavily regulated in coming years by the league). More likely we're looking at the zone-principle base that was used recently in Philadelphia (in the several seasons prior to this last one), Buffalo (the last several seasons under Gailey), New York Jets (under Schotty Jr. and Bill Callahan when they had "a Top 3 OL and run-game"), and New England.

30. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I mean you watch the Bills more than me, Kyle Williams only played in 5 games last year, and Barnett was still productive. Either way this is irrelevant now. As, Barnett will not be signed here in San Diego.

Aren't all rookies going to struggle? Heck, Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher won't be perfect this year. NFL is a learning experience for these guys, its all about having the right teachers (coaches) and students (players). I feel like we have that here. And the fact this kid has played several positions tells me he's a hard worker, and wants to perfect his craft. The athleticism and foot quickness this guy has is all worth it at 11. He gets on a mean streak as well, and looks as if he plays pissed off. Even on bull rushes by some of the nations best OLB's/DE's had a tough time moving this guy back, which tells me he has a pretty damn good anchor.

We took an "elite" pass rusher last year in Melvin Ingram in the first round. We can save that need for the later rounds, as well have to do something at OLB, either start Ingram as the ROLB and Johnson at LOLB, and have Barnes rotate in for Johnson on 3rd downs. Ingram will be called upon this year to play almost every snap.

• Agree Agree x 1