1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    I don't know, I can't see quality money being spent on 2 left tackles, getting paid a good chunk. I think left tackle will certainly be from the draft.

If Vasquez is gone I want Andy Levitre, but not at $6M a year. I think Vasquez will stay in San Diego though.

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    I can, especially if/when one is going to be released. :confused: And Gaithers money comes off the cap completely next year anyway.

Levitre will be just as expensive as Vaz, I expect we'll get outbid for both.

3. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    You really think Gaither will be released? I don't know lol McCoy and Telesco both said everyone is starting with a clean slate under their watch, no matter their past.

I can see us getting outbid on both Levitre and Vasquez, just waiting for Rivers to restructure and hopefully get Weddle to too so we can protect Rivers.

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Luckily for us is we can work out a deal before he hits FA if he truly wants to remain in SD

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    If Telesco decides to keep Gaither I will be shocked, its a gigantic risk and a huge career impacting decision. If we keep him, and he fails again, all we'll have done is ruin a season and now we'll owe him for 2014 instead. Its the kind of move that can turn fans and even the whole locker room against Telesco in a matter of months.

6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Thats what I find the funniest, (on different websites) I hear a lot of fans talking about how excited they are that Telesco and McCoy are going to come in and fix this team, then they go on to mention how the team should look the same as it did last year.

Gaither for nothing more then a guinea pig should be cut, you don't need to exactly come in guns blazing, just be like "If you don't wanna play for us we don't want you to play for us" but have it be more emotional and impactful like Keeanu Reeves "Chicks dig scars/ glory lasts forever" Replacements speech. Clary should be cut from a money/ production stand point. No way should he be making 4 million a year when that could go to re signing a few more players or bringing in a productive player at another position

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    4.39...maybe a little disappointing? Lol

8. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Guys that I'd like to see us pursue in free agency, including our own players,

Guard: Louis Vasquez, Brandyn Dombrowski, Brandon Moore, Chad Rinehart, Donald Thomas
    Tackle: Eben Britton, Ryan Harris, Sean Locklear, Tyler Polumbus
    Tight End: Dante Rosario, Travis Beckum, James Casey, Michael Hoomanawanui, Delaine Walker
    Wide Receiver: Danario Alexander -- hoping that gets Malcolm Floyd cut :), Micheal Spurlock

Defensive End: Vaughn Martin, Ricky Jean Francois, Artur Jones, Fili Moala
    Nose Tackle: Aubrayo Franklin, Justin Bannan, Maake Kemoeatu
    Outside Linebacker: Antwan Barnes, Albert McClellan, Trevor Scott, Lawrence Sidbury
    Inside Linebacker: Larry Grant, Brad Jones, Phillip Wheeler
    Cornerback: Darius Butler, Chris Owens, Jerraud Powers, Marcus Trufant
    Strong Safety: Corey Lynch, Patrick Chung

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I'm hoping within the coming days we'll meet wit Gaither find out where he stands. Both physically and mentally. What exactly is his situation, I'm sure Telesco and McCoy will come out firing questions at him.

Also I expect the cuts to be coming in the coming weeks before the new league year begins on March 12th/13th. Expecting, and hoping -- Charlie Whitehurst, Randy McMichael, Antonio Garay, Takeo Spikes and Atari Bigby are all cut. Saving anywhere from $9M-12M. But I hope Takeo Spikes comes back at a reduced number and I'm hoping Rivers can restructure his deal, Tom Brady just did, but then again he's making millions off other things and his wife. And then maybe Weddle.

Another thing is, I hope our rookie class from 2012 is out getting better. I just saw an instagram shot of Brandon Taylor, Johnnie Troutman, and Melvin Ingram at the club. I think Mayock actually said something worthy today, these kids bust their butts in the combine and pre-draft workouts to get paid. But, its after your rookie season to know if your worthy of that pay. If your out trying to get better. If your getting stronger and faster, working on your critique, etc. -- etc. I just hope these kids are doing so.

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    new stupid rule: Teams can't talk to contract players until April 1st, GM's are allowed to talk to agents of the players but not the actual players themselves.

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    If Gaither gets cut he's likely to be our one allotment for a June 1st cut (so that his dead money hit wouldn't apply to this season's salary cap), so for the sake of draft savvy and not giving away what position we're going at (like a big gaping hole of having little more than Mike Harris on the DC as our LT would signal).

I don't expect a decision on Gaither to be made/revealed until after the draft... and it's incredibly smart to do just that - despite whether the fans may fret themselves into a tizzy or not.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Tom Brady, Marques Colston, Demarcus Ware, Antonio Brown as well as a handful of players restructured their contracts lets hope we can get some of our guys for better or worse to do the same

13. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Then we might as well keep him if were gonna cut him in June. How long is that period to cut players without getting hit with that dead money on the 2013 cap? If its throughout camp we should just see if he decides he wants to play, but if he starts to milk an injury, point him to the door and let it hit him on the *** on the way out!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    It's not through camp. It's actually just prior to rookie and mini-camps starting.

15. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,528
    How convenient........ for him. ;)

16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Thats unfortunate, I have to get these new rules down and how these contracts work.

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    Well they are called "June 1st" cuts for a reason. ;)

18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Should give the club a couple more million to work with

19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    John Abraham, Dunta Robinson, and Michael Turner all released today by Atlanta.

20. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +450
    Whatever about Turner have either of the other 2 anything left?, esp Robinson?, he was a v good corner in his day. 3 yrs younger than Jammer.

21. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,707
    Isn't our new OL guy from the Bills? Wonder if this guy will be on our radar...

AdamSchefter: Buffalo tagging S Jairus Byrd means Bills G Andy Levitre is free to leave and he will be one of the hottest free agents on the market. (19 minutes ago from WhoSay)

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    Robinson has fuel left in the tank, but he's still expecting to be paid like a top CB (hence why he was cut, his due-salary was huge) and he's also a massive POS (this is the guy who has intentionally head-hunted and is one of the primary reasons the "defenseless receiver" rule was put into place - and still, despite being fined, just shines on the league and keeps cracking skulls. Sooner or later the league's going to suspend him for it).

However, another "name" CB on the market isn't a bad thing because it helps push some of the more under-the-radar guys down. Likely means Atlanta's had productive contract talks thus far with Brent Grimes - which is fine by me because Grimes is coming off a tricky injury (Achilles) and hasn't really reinforced he's worth the money I expect his agent to seek. I'm now not-so-patiently awaiting the Panthers to release Chris Gamble.

23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    The Union-Tribune San Diego expects the Chargers to either release Randy McMichael or ask him to take a pay cut.
    McMichael is due a $1.25 million salary in addition to a $250,000 roster bonus in the final year of his deal. The soon-to-be 34-year-old is a fine blocker, but he caught just nine passes for 51 yards last season, the lowest totals of his career. San Diego currently sits about $8 million over the salary cap.

24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
  25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    That's the one thing I'm not sure people that are saying "restructure them grasp" - restructuring is merely shifting the payout schedule of the contract around, not invoking "a pay cut". Pay cuts are something entirely different, wherein the team does actually "release" the player on the first day of free agency and immediately sign them back to a pre-agreed-upon lower contract.

Go and take a look at what Rivers' contract is scheduled to pay out in the final 2 years and tell me that we can afford to tack another $3-4 million per year onto that. Same with Gates. Do we want to end up in the cap hell that the Jets are currently in? Because this is the exact type of stuff Mike Tannenbaum was pulling annually with them. It's a vicious cycle that can only be repeated for so long before you ultimately have to pay the piper.

26. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +481

So somehow the UT thinks we went from 6.25 Million below the cap to 8 million over by doing nothing??? Doesnt anyone proof read the news before they publish this **** anymore?

27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    The amount gained by all teams save the Raiders and the Saints from the cap penalties issued to the Redskins and Cowboys last year - of which the impact was prorated over last season and this one. Raiders and Saints either voted against the ruling or abstained, so they didn't get the reward. The Redskins are currently threatening to filed litigation against the league to have the cap space returned to them - and threatening to try and delay free agency by holding things up in litigation - they don't really have much of a case unless their willing to seriously screw up the collective bargaining/legal-monopoly status of the entire league for their own benefit.

28. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    The cap was projected 120 million when it was reported 6 million, The cap was officially set for 123, so I believe they meant under 8 million

29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    ILB Takeo Spikes is a potential candidate for a pay cut in 2013.
    The Chargers are about $8 million under the 2013 cap, which is reportedly set at $123 million. Spikes is entering the final season of a three-year deal with a base salaryprogressing from $2.875 million in 2012 to now $3 million in 2013. His contract, in its current form, will carry a $3.7 million cap value.

30. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I'd like to keep Spikes for pure leadership, and locker room presence, especially if McMichael will be cut. I can't see McMichael doing anything in McCoy or Whisenhunt's offense except be a full back on short yardage plays.

I want Larry Grant. Simple as that, if we can offer him a mult-year deal which averages $2M a year I think he would sign here. NFL network analysts were comparing, I believe it was Manti Te'o's coverage skills to Patrick Willis', and they raved about Willis' athleticism and coverage skills, when in fact it was actually Larry Grant who was playing against the Rams when Willis was injured.

Spikes isn't the best coverage ILB. That's one of Grant's strengths, plus you get a guy who studied behind both the best ILB's in the game in Willis and Bowman, knows what a great defense looks like, and you can pair him with Butler for the next 4 or so years.

Butler has had his injuries as well, so if we have 3 starters at the ILB position, its not a bad problem to have.