1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Free agent Anderson interseted in Bolts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Oakland Charger, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Oakland Charger

Oakland Charger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Just read it right now. I know our 53 is pretty set but what do you guys think? If McNeil can't start the season I wouldn't mind another veteran tackle....What do you guys think? Pull the trigger?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest

2. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Rumor: San Diego Interested in Willie Anderson

I know some people on the forum who will love this.

From the AFC West blog on ESPN.com:

3. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Damn, beat me by 4 minutes.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    No offense but is there ANY free agent that IS NOT interested in joining us? I mean that in all seriousness - I don't see where Anderson fits in unless there's some serious questions about McNeil (leaving Clark as our only tackle). If that's the case then we might be in bigger trouble then Anderson can help with

5. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    :tdown: "Big Willie?":no:

6. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    DUDE. he's a four time Pro bowler and is one of the best at his postion. He could give us at least 2 more years. We could put him in instead of Clary. I WANT HIM!!! no ****:lol:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Before you guys get too excited, these are words from Anderson's own mouth:

8. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    yeah but Jamal wiliams is pretty much in the same place, and we are happy to have him. he's at the end of his career, and can't practice at 100%, doesn't mean he wouldn't be a great bandaid for the next year or two...

9. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Yep. Lynch, Taylor, and that big mouth Johnson said the same thing.

10. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    No, it's different. Jamal's not handing his starting job to a career backup because he knows he can no longer play at a high level. Jamal's not saying, "hey, it's cool if I'm a backup. I don't have the energy to compete anyway."

11. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Lynch got released today (just in case anyone isn't aware of it.)

12. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Hell yes! He can replace Clary some time down the road when he gets up to speed.

13. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Clary is a joke we need to pick him up asap!

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    1yr deal at most.

We just signed LJ Shelton and spent a pick on Clarke.

15. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    I think we need to offer him a 2 year deal if we want him. Give him a decent bonus this year tho.

Clark was a 7th...no big deal . We just cut our 5th rounder and Sheldon i think was a two year deal. Could be wrong but he isnt making a boatload.

16. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I meant Clary is a joke :tdown:

17. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Guys

This is a team build on home reared talent, supplemented by some vets to give leadership and fill in a FEW gaps.

AJ's the best young talent spotter in my lifetime. Don't change the formula and OD on washed up vets discarded by also rans.
    Guys like Clary or Clark might be up to the task. Maybe they need to learn on the job?

18. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Fine!
    Clark can learn the job on the PS after we sign Anderson and Clary can learn from him as well.

19. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272

Anderson is done. He said it himself.

20. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    That isnt what he said

21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    That seems to be pretty telling to me :yes:

22. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    When a guy admits he no longer has the energy or the health to compete for a starting job, what's he saying?

23. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    I dont know him but Ricky said sort of the same thing and he is working hard and got an extention after many experts and fans alike....possibly even you said he was done.

Maybe Anderson just didnt have it in him to play for the Bengals. Who could blame him. The are going to SUCK this year.

A change or scenery does wonders for many. All i know is he is talking to about 6 teams that have called and AJ is one of them so you and Shammy theorize what you want.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.html

Rudi a Lion; Anderson on horn
    By GEOFF HOBSON
    September 1, 2008

Posted: 6:15 p.m.

The Bengals are moving on and so are their former players. A few hours after cornerback Deltha O'Neal joined the Patriots, a league source said running back Rudi Johnson is going to be reunited with quarterback Jon Kitna in Detroit.

And, could Willie Anderson end up playing in his 182nd NFL game against the Bengals on Opening Day?

Anderson said Monday he visits Baltimore on Tuesday after fielding calls from Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome and owner Steve Bisciotti.

But also on the horn have been Chargers coach Norv Turner and GM A.J. Smith, as well as calls from the Bears, Giants, Bucs and Rams.

Opening Day may be a little early because many teams opt to sign vested veterans after the opener so their entire year's salary isn't guaranteed.

24. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    You know agents like to name-drop to generate interest in their client. Maybe the Chargers have called him about a backup role, but to think he's going to come in and unseat a guy like Clary who has already proven to be much better than expected and is also familiar with our offense is unrealistic, IMO.

25. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    OK............we'll see

Clary proved to be better than Olivea and that is all. He isnt that great and he surely isnt better than Anderson right now.

Maybe he can be someday but he isnt right now and he is coming off of shoulder surgery and his backup is a 7th round rookie who should be on the PS. If Clary doesnt improve this year we will be drafting or looking for his replacement.

There are many vets who have said they couldnt make it thru every practice such as Newberry...who is competing for a starting job and Jamal hasnt played at all this year or practiced everyday yet he says his knees have felt better than they have in years. Bret Favre retired ...said he didnt want to practice anymore and yet, he comes back competing for a starting job.

Anderson can still play and he said his being released wasnt due to his play....you dont know how he feels or what he really meant. Being on a loser for 13 years will wear out a person till they get on a winner.

26. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Clary replaced a guy that has a bad back and got hook on meds.

I would support a move like this. I've been supporting the "more beef" argument for a couple of years

:tup::tup::tup:

27. Oakland Charger

Oakland Charger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Goff in the same position before we signed him? All he has done is be one of the most consistent lineman on our squad. Change of scenery can do miracles.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Goff is in his 11th season, not his 13th, and he still wants to compete. Anderson has lost his zest for the game, apparently. That's the difference.

29. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Well, the rumors are persisting, so you might be right. Maybe where there's smoke there's fire on this one. If AJ and Norv talk to Anderson and determine there's nothing there to be worried about in terms of his desire to play, then obviously I won't complain if they bring him in. I'm not going to claim to know what's going on behind the scenes.

I do know that a guy who says he's okay with his backup becoming the starter worries me, though.

30. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    And where was his former scenery? You guessed it, Cinncinati, lined up next to Willie Anderson. Corey Dillon can tell you how good it was to run behind them during all his 1,000 yd. years on those $hitty Bengal teams.

And about Big Willie, this is outta the Athlon Sports Pro Football Preview Magazine (no link):

The Bengals put the franchise tag on Andrews, even though he wasn't a starter. He's 6'7'' 342 lbs., is 8+ years younger than Anderson, and has skills, so cutting Anderson wasn't based on his play.

Clary has experience in our system on his side, but he is no Willie Anderson. A McNiell-Dielman-Hardwick-Goff-Anderson line would be the best in the league. Forney, Newberry, Shelton, Mruczkowski, and Clary wouold be crazy good depth, and probably would make a second string O-line better than some of the starting ones we had here over the years (remember Phil Bogle and Damion McIntosh?)