1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Free Agent Frenzy!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ThunderHorse17, Jul 25, 2011.

1. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    hi, everyone. wow, the chargers are loaded big time this year. If we can get malcolm floyd back we be scarey scarey good.

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,524
    I seriously doubt we will...... #imjustsaying

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    Underrated re-signing. hopefully this means that if (or when!) Vasquez struggles at RG again this season (because he and Clary of zero chemistry as a partnership) that this will free up Colin Baxter (since I expect him to beat out Greene in the preseason).

4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Green will get shot at RG spot
    BY KEVIN ACEE, REPORTER - CHARGERS
    FRIDAY, JULY 29, 2011 AT 8:13 P.M.

Right Jeromey Clary re-signing with the Chargers earlier this week means the offensive line will remain intact.

The only question might be which right guard who started in 2010 will begin the season as the starter.

Louis Vasquez, the team’s third-round pick in 2009, has started 24 games over the past two seasons and is the starter for now. But Tyronne Green will be given a legitimate shot to wrest away the spot at which he capably filled in for six games last season. The two have been sharing reps with the first team and will likely continue to do so for at least a time.

“I think they’re going to give me a fair opportunity to compete,” said Green, who also started one game at left guard and played 10 snaps in a game at left tackle last season. “I think I progressed week by week.”

Vasquez, who missed time with knee and neck injuries in 2010, doesn’t foresee a change. He likes Green continuing as a jack-of-all trades.

“I don’t see it any different,” Vasquez said. “We need Tyronne to come in for emergencies.”

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    Them calling Green's play "competent" is about as on-point as them saying that Clary's got "tons of unrealized upside".

Green might stand a decent chance as a LG, but unless he's somehow discovered how to not lose leverage and get chucked aside within 2 seconds of the snap, he's not going to do much. We honestly might be better off letting Clary battle Vasquez for the RT spot and letting Schilling and Domb compete for the RT spot.

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Yea im not sold on RG at all. I still have high hopes for Vasquez and Green, jus more Green as a backup C and Vasquez jus needs to be a better RG. Im paitent when it comes to players developing/breaking the lineup and am still hoping both these guys have a spot on the team, but its lookin like I might have to wait for this RG hole to finaly plug up.

7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Mike Sims Walker to STL.

Prob the last big story FAF move.

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    Last big story FAF move? Braylon's a bigger story than Sim-Walker's inconsistent self is. Cullen Jenkins still out there. And... I read on Rotoworld that sicne the Pats won't be re-signing Ty Warren, he's said he'll play for the vet minimum as long as he's playing for a contender. You hear that AJ... he's good and he says he'll play for the cheapest you can possibly sign him for! Get on that QUICK!

As to Green at center... last I heard he can't do it. He simply struggled too much with snapping the ball and getting up out of his stance before getting overwhelmed as a pro. He doesn't have a terribly great first step which is obvious when he plays guard... let alone when he plays center. I think it's the primary reason we re-signed M-Cow.

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Eagles land Cullen Jenkins

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 30, 2011, 4:29 PM EDT

Another day, another big free agent signing for the Philadelphia Eagles’ defense.

The Eagles have announced that former Packers defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins has reached an agreement with the team. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that it’s a five year, $25 million deal.

Jenkins played 11 games for the Packers last season, starting eight and recording seven sacks. The 30-year-old had played his entire seven-year career in Green Bay.

The signing comes less than 24 hours after the Eagles made a huge splash in free agency by signing cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha. Maybe the Eagles really will be a Dream Team. Or maybe they’ll discover that you can’t just spend your way to the Super Bowl.

UPDATE: Michael Lombardi of NFL Network reports that Jenkins’ contract could essentially turn into a one-year, $4 million deal if the Eagles decide to let him go after the 2011 season.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,666
    I'm astonished at how many FAs the Eagles have gotten

11. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +161
    Eagles putting all the chips in to win now. They are definetly on a mission.
    Of course spending does not always equal winning.

12. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    Ask the Miami Heat and ask the 06 Chargers.

13. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +161
    Agreed, also Red Sox and Yanks could be prime examples as well.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Of teams that have won multiple championships? ;)

15. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    Sox were in a drought for what? 85+ years before they won another in 04? Not a great example here. Yankees, yeah. But when your sports been around for over 100 ******* years SOMEONE better have 27 ;)

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    The cap in the NFL makes a big difference....... nobody can really outspend the competition now.

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,666
    isn't technically Tatupu a released vet? Just saying

19. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    Vick is not a long term answer and they know it, he's a 2 or 3 year guy at best before he either slows down or gets killed.

I hate the Nnamdi signing, I'd rather have Joseph for 90% the talent and 50% the price, but I like everything else they've done.

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    REPORT: JETS, CROMARTIE AGREE TERMS

A person with knowledge of the deal says the Jets have agreed to terms on a contract with Antonio Cromartie, keeping the cornerback in New York after losing out onNnamdi Asomugha.

Cromartie, acquired last offseason from San Diego, was solid for New York opposite Darrelle Revis, finishing with 42 tackles and three interceptions.

The person spoke to The Associated Press early Monday morning on condition of anonymity because the team had not announced the move.

After signing wide receiver Santonio Holmes, their top priority, the Jets went after Asomugha and were one of the favorites to land the most-coveted player in free agency. But Asomugha surprisingly signed with Philadelphia, leaving New York to go to its backup plan in Cromartie.

22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    O-VER-RATE-ED...clap clap clap clap clap.......

• Like Like x 1
  23. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    Wow, I guess no one else wanted him.

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    [​IMG]

SportsCenter SportsCenter

by AdamSchefter

The #Giants have given Osi Umenyiora's agent permission to work out a trade for the 2-time Pro Bowl DE, sources told Sal Paolantonio.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    jasyn dawson, Greenwood

Q: Any chance Naanee is brought back

Kevin Acee

A: None.

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    [​IMG]

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

Filed to ESPN: Future Hall-of-Fame wide receiver Randy Moss has decided to retire rather than continue playing, agent Joel Segal said.
    Retired as in Bret Faaavrah retired?

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    [​IMG]

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

Former Seahawks LB Lofa Tatupu is visiting the Oakland Raiders today.

28. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    I could have answered that one. :/

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,524
    Ronnie Brown heads to the Eagles
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 2, 2011, 4:44 PM EDT

The “Dream Team” continues to add recognizable names.

The Eagles announced Tuesday they signed running back Ronnie Brown to a one-year contract. Philadelphia desperately needed a backup running back, and Brown needed a gig that could showcase his skills.

We think it’s a great fit because Brown’s biggest strength is his versatility. Andy Reid will know how to use him on passing downs, and Brown has the size to work in short-yardage situations.

We’ll be very curious to see how much money Brown got. It’s quite possible he priced himself out of chances to start elsewhere before settling for a backup role behind LeSean McCoy.

30. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,640
    Man, the Eagles are killing it.