1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agent Frenzy

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,378
    Depends on how much is in the signing bonus...... keep the cap figure low.

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    There seems to be a shortage of SS on the Bolts dept chart and I don't know if going with a rook is good business. They need a headhunter that plays nice. JMHO.

3. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +174
    Yeah i know all this.. and dont get me wrong i love tolbert but i dont think hes worth what hes asking for to be a good special teamer and receiver out of the back field... IMO we need scat back to be catching those passes out of the backfield, a back with the ability to take a dump off pass 60 yards to the house, i feel like our offense is missing that dynamic

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Its very high considering we rarely use WRs in the slot. Gates is our slot reciever.

If Floyd and Meachem play all 16 games (I know, unlikely) I think Royal gets maybe 20-30 catches this year at best. Brown is a better route runner, and already knows the offense, so I think he immediately wins the camp battle.

5. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +898
    EXACTLY! I would much rather have several players who can contribute than one big ticket item.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    You know what he's asking for?........ I haven't heard a thing about $

7. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +174
    I dont.. but have u seen the deals other players have been receiving this offseason im sure some team will be willing to overpay for his services and i just hope it isnt us.. hes made 3 million dollars in 4 nfl seasons.. im sure hes trying to cash in while he can being that hes going to be 27 this upcoming season and with the way he runs this is likely to be the last contract he is gonna receive from an NFL team

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    So, what do you think he's worth then?

9. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +174
    im obviously just guessing but id be surprised if he got less then 3-5 million a season

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    Well, they don't want to be used just to drive his price up....... it's only fair to know what his intentions are, since they have other needs to address.

13. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Jackie Battle? Really? ...............

That would be a terrible move. All I can say.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    Well piss guess I can retire the sig.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I'd honestly bring back LT before Jackie Battle.. LT won't be asked to carry much which will help with his body throughout the year, we can use him in the screen game. Catch more balls out of the backfield and be a leader if the Chargers are willing to swallow their pride and give him the C. The bridges maybe burnt, but I'd take him for a 1-2 year range for anything in the $2.5M area if he is really willing to retire as a Charger. The guy already has his $$

LT the last two years has had 94 receptions for 817 yards (AVG 8.6) with 2 TD's.

I'd like to have Tolbert back, but he does come with caution. I love him cause he takes care of the ball. But he seems to turn it over at the worst times or the worst way. Guy deff wants atleast $4M a year, and honestly with other key positions needing work such as DL, Nickel CB or a SS, and more depth on the OL I'd rather use that $4M elsewhere.

I'd even take Tashard Choice or Steve Slaton over Jackie Battle.. Come on AJ stop trying to stick it to the divisional rivals and don't screw up an almost perfect off-season.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +174
    Couldn't agree with you more

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
  18. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Is Barron in the 1st a reach?

19. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +174
    Im a fan of landry but i can live with that... draft a safety, give stuckey a chance, or try to convert jammer .. at least we have those as possibilities without signing a safety in free agency

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    He's graded as the top SS in the draft, so no...... he'll be a 1st or early 2nd rounder.

21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Too much 'Bama hype in this draft! I'd like to see Harrison Smith. Very good size, good foot work (not foot speed) and good movement/transition of the hips. Hard hitter and a ball hawk. Pretty raw talent..

Needs to work on foot speed though.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    Could be had in the 2nd round if we're fortunate. I still want another NT to rotate with Cam Thomas.

23. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    well if Garay gets a 1 year deal, Thomas is deff the starter next year. There are some decent guys still in FA that could be a good mix with Thomas..

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    I thought most of the good NT's had resigned with their teams....... who's left worth pursuing?

25. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +174
    Im hoping AJ can still make a move or 2 in free agency im unsure as to what our cap is currently looking like... but i know a lot of the contracts hes been giving out are structured to be very cap friendly with small cap hits this year .. so id assume we still have room for another solid signing in 2 in addition to signing our rookies

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    I think we're up against it...... may only get one more decent FA signing...... rookies will take up to $3 million in total (unless we trade away picks to move up).

27. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +174
    yeah hopefully he can take away 1 more need through free agency though with a signing like garay

28. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Well besides our own Garay and Harris, you have Pat Sims, Rocky Bernard, Derek Landri, Shaun Rogers & Gerard Warren (Maybe too much $$)

29. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +174
    Yeah maybe some more room on the cap then we think though, Acee is saying friday we are looking to secure a backup running back then let the dust settle and grab some value on a few o lineman and d lineman for depth as free agency continues on... that would be ideal as it would let us focus on SS, ILB, CB, and even TE through the draft

30. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Just read that as well.. Tolbert had many suitors but wasn't too happy with the outcomes of his meetings