1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Free Agent List

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Showmeyourbolt, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    So, I know that it is not AJ's MO to go digging in free agency, but due to our lack of draft picks, and the Patriots recent success of filling holes through free agency, what do you think the chances are of us picking up a quality guy or two? I don't see any big name players, but I might see us picking up a runningback, safety, or offensive lineman who fits our system, and letting him compete for the starting job.

Going by this list, do any of the names interest you as possible candidates?

Obviously priorities in the offseason go towards resigning our players, and preparing for the draft, but we might look a little more towards free agency due to our lack of draft picks.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    If Clary isn't an option at RT long term I'd look at max starks

3. LTisCool

LTisCool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    If Billy Volek and his big balls leave us - I wouldn't mind Todd Collins as backup QB.

Realistically, any of the players who are good enough to fully replace Turner aren't going to want to come here.

And the only offensive linemen I really know are Chargers offensive linemen and I'd like to see our O-Line play more like it did last year, so if that means we need new linemen in then... I dunno who we'd bring in.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I would resign Rivers and Merriman. Take care of our own first which is AJ's MO.

After that, I would see how much is left to go shopping but I see us doing a trade with someone versus outright bidding on the open market. I see us trading for a lineman but who is a mystery to me.

We can pick up a $2.2 million option in Voleks contract as well to keep him this year.

5. LTisCool

LTisCool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah those are the 2 big ones that we need to lock up beyond 2010.

6. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Gotta ask ourselves what holes we need to fill?

Considering these are our FA's, this is what I would do with them;

Player FA Status Comments
    Malcom Floyd RFA Hate to let him go, but no spot on the roster with #1 Chambers, #2 Jackson, #3 Parker, #4 Davis, #5 Osgood
    Dave Rayner UFA Gone
    Scott Mruczkowski RFA Tender Mid to high
    Jeromey Clary RFA Tender high or sign multi-year
    Ryon Bingham RFA Already re-signed
    Brandon McKinney RFA Tender high or sign multi-year
    Marques Harris RFA Tender Mid to high
    Drayton Florence UFA Gone
    Cletis Gordon RFA Tender mid
    Steve Gregory RFA Tender mid
    Billy Volek UFA If Whitehurst is ready to step up, let him, draft a guy or pick up a cheaper journeyman to save cash
    Michael Turner UFA Franchise and trade

As I can see it, We will lose 1 starter (D-Flo), we'll tender Clary and keep him here for sure. So we need to replace backups and start to draft guys for future replacements. I like McKinney and Bingham, but neither of them can fill Jamal's shoes. We need to draft a big beef prototypical 3-4 NT unless you want to switch back to a 4-3 in 2 years. We need a backup RB (Probably in the third round). We need another CB as D-Flo will be gone, Weddle will be starting at FS, Hart at SS, Cro and Jammer at the CB's, and probably Oliver at the Nickel. McCree will probably move to the Dime back. So either Gordon and Gregory step up or we need another CB. Also wouldnt mind
    some more backups at the O-Line beef positions.

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    McCardell and Caldwell are FA, let'd bring them in and see what they can do :icon_eek::icon_rofl:

We've been thru this before, AJ will sign or extend the inhouse FA first, and might sign some journeyman FA

Having said that, if Volek is gone I'll take another vet QB and maybe another S (maybe this time it will work :icon_shrug:)

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    we have got to get some help for Jamal.

we were exposed when he isn't playing or not at 100%

NUMBER ONE PRIORITY

:tup::tup::tup:

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Man, we need to go FORWARD, not backward! :lol:

10. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    PK David Akers UFA Philadelphia Eagles
    PK Morten Andersen UFA Atlanta Falcons
    PK Rob Bironas RFA Tennessee Titans
    PK Josh Brown UFA Seattle Seahawks
    PK Jason Elam UFA Denver Broncos
    PK Rhys Lloyd ERFA Carolina Panthers
    PK Dave Rayner UFA San Diego Chargers
    PK Nick Setta UFA Buffalo Bills
    PK Shaun Suisham UFA Washington Redskins
    PK Lawrence Tynes UFA New York Giants

:icon_tease: :icon_rofl:

11. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    There's plenty of OL on that list that would be good on this team. Max Starks for sure, as well as Jordan Gross from Carolina. He'd be a bookend with McNeill for years, and he plays RT. I doubt Carolina lets their best lineman go though. Floyd Womack could play either G or T, but he's gonna cost more than we would want to spend. Stacy Andrews, Fred Weary, and Justin Smiley are starter/ great depth material that wouldn't cost much.

I don't like the Colt's OGs Scott and Lilja though. Manning made them look better than they were, and they're not road graders that we need. Hopefully we can draft a Fonoti clone, without the personal problems/ lack of heart.

With safeties, the only one I kinda like is Gibril Wilson. He's big and physical, which would work well with Weddle. But he never was a good cover guy, and he's just a run stopper, physical threat imo.

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I'll take that guy in a heart beat. Tits won't let him go though no way.

13. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Nate isn't going anywhere. He's been the most accurate kicker in the league over the last four years.

He does seem to have trouble in the playoffs, but this year's performance can be partially attributed to being hurt.

Regardless, unless he starts to regularly tank easy kicks, he's ours for a long time.

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    ALBERT HAYNESWORTH!
    lol

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Gibril Wilson
    Eugene Wilson

Anything that gives us depth at NT
    We need to ditch Marlon McCree, he is an overpaid deuch.
    We need a replacement for Michael Turner
    We need a replacement for Nate Kaeding -BECAUSE HE SUCKS ON KICKOFFS AND IN THE PLAYOFFS
    We need to look for a nickle corner
    We need to look for another FB because Neal is ancient and Pinnock sucked in the playoffs.
    We need to get something for Michael Turner

16. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    pretty worthless free agent list, i dunno if any of those guys are worthy of our team, for MT's replacement i wouldnt mind duckett i guess but even he is blah, AJ will just do his magic in the draft

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Kaeding isn't going anywhere. McCree won't be missed. Turner should be tagged and traded or kept, Gordon or Gregory are and would be good back up and nickel or dime Material. I may be crazy, but I still we have nothing to lose whatsoever by auditioning Kassim at safety. Neal has another season or two in him. This is a draft we need to use primarily for fat boys.

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
  19. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Nate's been solid for us since he got here. You are condeming him to hell for the Jets playoff game from '04.

71-80 in the regular season, 6-10 in the playoffs, (with one of those misses being that 53 yarder that was rushed in the home playoff loss to the Pats).

He just needs to do better on kickoffs.