1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Free agent targets

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jan 9, 2015.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    leaving aside the question of who we should resign, I'd like to see who everyone thinks we should go after in free agency. I have seen a lot of people already discuss Suh and Justin Houston, both of whom are likely to be franchised and cost a fortune. I'd like to throw out two more names

Jabaal Sheard: so this is a guy with limited production this year due to injuries. However he combines the best of JJ's run stopping ability with better pass rushing and is younger. He won't be resigned or franchised as the Browns have two expensive pass rushers already, and could be signed at a reasonable rate. I don't know if we would consider him a starter but he'd be valuable depth with two young OLBs both of whom have had injury trouble lately.

Stefen Wisniewski: yes he's a former turd, he has problems with very large DL and yes he has problems with penalties. But I don't mind either. He's a strong and intelligent blocker who allowed only a single sack in 2014. He is also a consistent and effective player, one of the only for that team. He could be moved to either C of LG alongside fluker and watt.

2. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Austin Pettis apparently

3. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Yep....just heard Austin Pettis from the Rams........

4. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    I'd like to see any TWO of these offensive linemen.
    Bryan Bulaga
    Stefen Wisniewski
    Rodney Hudson
    Clint Boling
    Orlando Franklin
    Mike Iupati

If we do that then we can head into the draft looking for BPA instead of being forced into oline early in the draft. We could look at Melvin Gordon or Parker or White if they fell to give Rivers some more weapons. Or heck, we could still take guys like Scherff, Collins or Erving and really solidify our line with a young versatile backup at all positions.

5. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Wouldn't that just force us to go defense in the early part of the draft?

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Don't see a problem with that personally. We need 1 or 2 starters on offense, and maybe some depth and developmental players. On defense we need probably...4 or 5 key contributors right away.

Flowers (UFA)
    Wright (UFA)
    Gilchrist (UFA)
    Freeney (old UFA)
    Johnson (holds a $7.5M cap number in 15, possible cut)
    Reyes (sucks)
    Lissemore (decent but could easily be upgraded on)

7. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    I mean if we sign Bulaga and Hudson I'd be pretty stoked, but if we need 4-5 key contributors right away on defense and sign none (or maybe 1) through free agency, then we're forced to go that way in the draft, and BD seemed to think that by signing two O-linemen we could still grab an RB or WR because we'd have so much flexibility. I'd rather see us sign one impact defensive guy and one impact offensive lineman so we can go any direction in the draft.

Obviously if we sign Bulaga and the only choice for the rest of the money is to sign Hudson or get Dean Spanos a new sound system for his Gulfstream Jet I'm cool with going big on the O-line.

8. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    I don't think so, I would argue RB and WR are as big a need as defense, although I do realize dline is a huge need also, as well as corner if flowers walks.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    It's not about going offense vs defense in the draft, it's about filling holes. Ideally you don't want to be relying on rookies to solve all your problems by the time you get to the draft, but the last few years that hasn't been the case for us as we've been strapped for cash.

This draft is supposed to be deep in OT prospects, so I'd be surprised if we went out and spent money on Bulaga if that is true.

By the same token if we go out sign an OT and OG in free agency those positions are no longer a concern for us when the draft comes around, and we can narrow down our draft focus to our other needs, or just taking the "best player" on the board.

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    A free agent who may not even hit the market but who might be a great fit here would be Jerry Hughes fro the Bills. He is already talking about he wants a contract the size that his skills demand, and Buffalo may not be able to fit him in.

11. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    I like Hughes but Buffalo has plenty of cap space to keep him if they want. Pernell McPhee might be a better target as the Ravens are in a tighter cap situation.

12. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    If we can get Stefen wisenski and Brian bulaga, I would flip a **** and cry because I feel we could do a lot if damage in the draft.
    Possible 1st rounders we could get
    Melvin Gordon
    Kevin white
    Troy brown I believe is his name dt Texas
    Todd gurley ,
    But with that said this draft has a lot of good running backs
    I'd be happy with either Melvin Gordon or ameer Abdullah .
    Ots we could take
    Tj clemmings
    Erik flowers
    Only 2 that'll be there at 17.
    I mean idk I'm getting giddy about the draft

13. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    The Raiders have $60 million in cap space so Wisniewski's another guy I'd be a little leery of if his incumbent team decides not to keep him. And he's a legacy so I don't foresee a Veldheer situation. I know it's the Raiders who aren't exactly world-beaters at talent identification but something to think about with regard to all of these free agents.

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Got to wait for the bell to ring allowing the class out of their respective contracts with no strings attached.

15. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    If Brandon Schreff was realistic at 17, signing Bryan Bulaga and re-signing King Dunlap would complete this OL. Dunlap, Fluker, Watt, Schreff and Bulaga from left to right. And also signing Randall Cobb to pair with Keenan Allen it would lights out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Randall Cobb's price is rising daily but I'd love to get him. Bulaga is solid but seems to be hurt lots, I might pass there. Iupati over Wisniewski for me.

17. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Question, can the Bolts negotiate with all the players on the team before the league year and their contracts expire or do they have to wait before trying to keep any of the upcoming unrestricted free agents like the King and Flowers??????.
    Thanks in advance.

18. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    They're free to negotiate at any time. They could do deals with their own guys right now if they wanted to.

19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Then they need to get that pencil sharpened and get to work.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    Alright here's the pool of guys i'd really like.

Who I'm hoping will Return:
    Flowers
    Dunlap
    Mathews (I think he comes back, and don't think he gets any big offers, get him for low guaranteed)
    Wright

Pool of guys I'd look at to Sign:
    Wisniewski (Can play OG and C, and has a history with Joe D, who put a full press on recruiting him to GT, similar to Dunlap)
    Orlando Franklin/Chris Hairston/Byron Bell/Levitre (if released, please gimme)
    Torrey Smith (REALLY want Randall Cobb, but thats not gonna happen, we could potentially buy low on Smith)
    McPhee/Hughes/Graham/Orakpo (He's a big name, but has turned into more of a complimentary pass rusher after his injury, i could see us buying a little bit low on him.)
    Stephen Paea/Knighton/Ellis/Harrison
    Buster Skrine/Pat Robinson

21. AztecWarrior

AztecWarrior BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    trade for ronnie hillman
    broncos have 4 RB's and CJ anderson is set as their starter
    Ronnie is a great 3rd down back and can play in 5 receiver sets
    Great kickoff and punt returner when a Aztec . fast can take it the distance
    Can be got cheap
    Not saying he is an every down back

22. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    He's basically a slightly different version of Woodhead. That is idiotic...

23. AztecWarrior

AztecWarrior BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    he cuts fast
    at least worth a look at returner
    woodhead does not have ronnie's speed

24. AztecWarrior

AztecWarrior BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    he ran for 5.5 YPC at Qualcomm against Chargers and 109 yards

25. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    .......and........Look we get it, you like SDSU guys, but he wouldn't be of any use to us, and we'd have to give up a mid round pick for him. It would be an absolutely atrocious move for us.... I could name about 100 other guys who ran for 100 against us, you know, we should probably sign McFadden too, and Ray Rice, and MJD, and i could go on forever...

26. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    Actually, your right, he's faster. 40 times are 4.45 for Hillman and 4.38 for Woodhead...haha. We can keep going all day if you want...

27. AztecWarrior

AztecWarrior BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Yuck Mcfadden sucks ugly
    Alright I'm done

28. AztecWarrior

AztecWarrior BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Well someone will take him
    None of the guys you mentioned have anywhere close to his speed
    and he's still young
    Or maybe he just sits at Denver and plays one more year left on contract

29. AztecWarrior

AztecWarrior BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    No I'm done
    You beat me

30. AztecWarrior

AztecWarrior BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Woodhead is a Sproles type correct? Woodhead is good for sure like Wes Welker with a bigger frame. Ronnie is capable of 25 carries a game. Not really the same player. I said he is a good 3rd down back but he can be a feature RB I think.