1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Free Agent

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by pure-sol, Mar 10, 2009.

1. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Just saw on NFLN on the ticker that Lorenzo Neal is a FA. We should sign him for 1 year to bring back the dominant run game. That is all.

2. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    :yes::yes::yes:

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    Nah... has nothing to offer on the field.... off the field now that is something else. Might be a good backroom guy some day.

4. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Is that kind of like a back door man? :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

:icon_tease:

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I really appreciate the services rendered by Lo Neal. And I wouldn't ***** if we signed him.

But how many snaps is he going to see a game? Norv's offense doesn't really have a lot of room for the blocking FB and that's why we let him go in the first place. In the context of our offensive scheme and current roster a blocking FB would be a kind of worthless pickup.

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    My name is Sydalish and I approve this message. :tup:

7. BLITZED56

Ratings:
    +50
    I realize Norv's system doesn't have a lot of playing time for a blocking FB but what about short yardage and goal line situations? It's not like the guy would cost an arm and a leg. Hell, you could probably sign him for around a mill for one year.

IMO, you could easily add another 200 yards and 3-4 TD's to LT's 2008 totals if LO was blocking for him. Not to mention all the third a shorts they failed to convert. Also don't underestimate what he did for the locker room.

Sorry, but last year there were just way too many MLB's that came across to line of scrimmage untouched to drop LT for a 1 yard gain when they only needed 2-3.

8. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    LoNeal always said he wanted to retire a Bolt - give him a 1yr deal to mentor Hester/Tolbert, take snaps [esp short yardage], be a locker room leader... His experience alone makes him worth considering. It's no coincidence RB's consistently run for 1k+ behind him. I don't think he's going to find anyone to pay him a huge amount of money so it's not like we'd have to drop a ton of cash to get him :icon_shrug:

9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    Tolbert can be the short yardage/goal line guy. Last years experience is going to benefit him greatly. Hester came on great in terms of a blocking back, he can be that player and he offers much more in terms of being able to carry it himself else catch it. I wonder though how much of a need we will have for the traditional FB (ala Lo) in our O in 09.

I don't underestimate what he did in the locker room, that's why I said there might be a use for him 'backroom'. But on the field he is done. Just my opinion.

10. BLITZED56

Ratings:
    +50
    I like Hester I'm just not sold on Tolbert as a blocker. Although I do like his hands out of the backfield.

11. BLITZED56

Ratings:
    +50
    Agreed

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    No.

Have faith in Tolbert.

The dude will be nails.

13. pure-sol

Ratings:
    +255
    I suggested one year because Tolbert and Hester desperately need a mentor FB to teach them the ropes, and there's no better than Neal. Neither Hester and especially Tolbert ever played a real FB. Hester was a combo back and Tolbert was a pure RB in college.

Along with the mentorship, Neal's veteran leadership would provide nothing but positive influence on this team. Plus like already stated, he's cheap!

14. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    get em in for the year to be a mentor and let em retire a bolt:bolt:

15. pure-sol

Ratings:
    +255
    I DO have faith in him, that's why I adopted him! I just think he could use the tutelage that one of the best FB's could give him.

Plus, I honestly think that having him on he field, even on the sidelines would give LT the mental edge knowing that either LoNeal is throwing a shoulder for him or his direct tutor is.

Besides, even though LoNeal is getting old he has that unmeasurable affinity with LT, where they know each other so well that they both know where the other will cut or throw a block etc. He's got at least a year left in him!

16. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I'll be stoked if he wants to sign as an assistant RB coach. But I don't particularly want him to occupy a roster spot or cap space (even minimal).

17. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I totally agree on Yogi he's going to be a stud - but just think how good he could be with some knowledge handed down from one of the best to every play the position?

18. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    hmm, I wonder why Baltimore let him go. I was under the impression that he was doing quite well with the Ravens but I also recall that they had a real stud that just needed to be shown the ropes so maybe that is why he's now a free agent. It depends on how cheap he is and how willing he'd be willing to come back to sunny San Diego to help out his old team win a Superbowl but I'd be just fine seeing LoNeal in the games for short yeardage and blacking situations. Just don't put "Alligator Arms" in the passing game.

19. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    They have Le'Ron McClain at FB, who can also be the starting RB, along with Willis McGahee and Ray Rice.

20. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    as much as I like LO, I agree he's basically done thats why he's a free agent now. Maybe we could hire him cheaply as a coach and god forbid tolbert or hester get hurt we could sign activate him if neccessary in an emergency.