1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Oz

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sandolf, Aug 13, 2012.

?

Are you a conformist?

This poll will close on Aug 13, 2022 at 8:08 AM.
  1. Yes

16.7%
  2. No

83.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    It is time for the mods and admin to stop acting like little pink poodles pissing in the corners to mark their space. Down with censorship in imposing standards of mediocrity and mindless blather that only weakest of us could need.

End this foolishness!

Oz must be reinstated to full membership!

[​IMG]

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I definitely preferred the dog avatar, Sandy

3. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    Me too. But I guess if this board goes to the dogs I will be adequately prepared. :D

4. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +262
    Sandolf, I understand you and Oz and members of another forum, and you are pretty active here. However, you will not be seeing his account reinstated anytime soon on this forum.

Since you have been a solid member for a long time, I wanted to be up-front with you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    Oz is free. He's not in jail. He's not been persecuted. Being unwelcome on an internet forum is not censorship. If he wanted to be here all he had to do was get along. He made his own decisions and knew the consequences of his behavior and bad attitude. So you can call us all the names you want and try to make us the bad guys if it makes you feel better but the truth is, it's his own fault that he's no longer here.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    I appreciate that. Thank you. I think you will find that many members have accounts on other boards. In my case there are four other Sandolf's in varying stages of decay. It would be five except my membership at GTP lasted only six hours... (a record that even Oz will have trouble matching).

Multiple memberships would not be necessary if there could be one board that fulfills the needs to the greatest extent. Despite your great work in rescuing this place from the corruption of the previous regime, you now appear to be headed down the slippery slope back into the morass. Too bad. Some of the holdover mods are going to grease those rails for you. The .com refugees like myself are just on the slow road back to same kind of conformity and heavy handedness we sought to escape in the first place.

You are a bright man robdog. I am sure you can do better.

7. robdog

Ratings:
    +262
    Sandolf, you act like we are swinging this ban hammer around at everything and everyone that has a different opinion from a mod or admin, which is simply not the case. However, when people come over here with the intent to cause trouble, they are going to be on a short leash. Heck, I am even sent him a personal conversation about that exact subject. (to which his response should of lead to a ban, but I let it go)

Could I do better? Sure. But for the most part, I feel I do a good job and am extremely fair/lenient when it comes to banning individuals. Am I going to make everyone 100% happy? Of course not, but that comes with the territory.

There is no conspiracy going on, and no one is trying to trap, confuse or impede anyone. I feel you are a bright individual as well and can see where I am coming from.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    I do disagree with that assessment robdog, and unless you regularly are looking for character references on other boards, one insider had to be pointing you in that direction. So indeed some sort of back channel information was being passed. Is that a conspiracy? Maybe not. Was that in good taste? Maybe not.

I met with Oz personally lately and I can confirm he does not speak any differently than he posts. He is not a fabrication. He is what he is. I am not one to use foul language, but that is just me. But when it comes to profanity, Donkey Bolt, matilack etc... etc... are far exceeding anything Oz ever posted... just without the swear words.

I will ask you again to please reconsider reinstating Oz.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,183
    Sandolf, I understand where you are coming from and admire your stance in sticking up for a friend. Props to you.

I for one hoped _Oz would work out here, because a lot of his posts were funny, and I personally dont like the interforum angsts of the past.

However, one does not show that they want to be part of a forum by calling those who run it, or help moderate it stupid because they try and enforce the forum rules. _Oz disagreed, and how he chose to address those disagreements were his choice. He could have chosen to work with the mods who PM'ed him in private but did not. He was free to choose and did.

I wish him the best.

You may not believe this based on our history (which I totally understand), and your comments about the holdover mods, but the option to ban or talk to posters is never taken lightly. In all of our arguments, was anyone quick to ban you or did I try to talk to you about it (even if I uterly failed and ended up making an arse of myself by arguine)? I stayed largely out of the discussion because of the past I had with him and you. The choice to ban _Oz was not an easy or quick one, but his posts and replies to PMs made it clear that he was unwilling to work with anyone.

So I am not sure what we could have done other than turn a blind eye to him. What am I missing? Robdog, and the other mods are very fair.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I just take comfort that posters (namely me) do not get banned for sheer awesomeness & extreme lovability!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,183
    LOL. I would have been a gonner long ago... Just ask Blue.... ;)

12. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    It's hard not to... every second of every day I fight the urge... I can hardly control my need to ban you Lance :eek:

:roflmao:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,183
    Just get on his ignore list liek I did, and then you can threaten to ban him all the time and he would never know....

14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    My goal from Post 1, Miss Syd, was to be in your thoughts "every second of every day..." Mission accomplished! :D

15. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,398
    Even if it's free, I don't think you'll get many takers. ;)

16. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304
    I smell a "It's acceptable for me to personally insult you because I'm your intellectual superior" or some such.... give me a break.

17. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    First of all... thanks for writing Conc. Even though the handling of Oz was very smelly... it definitely did not bear your signature. That said... post #5 in the Oz Avatar thread was not helpful. It brought a mod groupie into play and the thread then degenerated from bad to disgusting.

Maybe what you all are missing is the simple fact that the rules are asinine in the first place. It makes the fair and equal application of them a total joke unto itself. Just as a basis of comparison... I work in a television station in a large market. The on-air talent is constantly reaping tweets calling them idiots and morons. So what are they supposed to do? Tweet back saying... "work with us and we will keep letting you watch the show"?

You guys have erected a soapbox here with a microphone decorating the top of it. It you want to stand on the podium accepting bouquets for your brilliance... you should be able to take a few shots too. If the womens amongst you don't like the "c" word... too bad. You are not charged with the function of teaching someone who spent a better part of his adult life in Australia American style manners. Making an example of Oz because your culture can't deal with his is your weakness. Besides... this stuff is floating all over the internet anyway. If robdog"s advertisers have a problem with the content... well that could be explained. My thinking is that they don't care or even bother to look.

May the spirit of detente live on Conc. I much prefer this type of dialogue than the nasty ones of the past. Bearing this in mind I would like to thank my former fellow JNCP mercenaries for all of their support in this free speech question. The management of this board may be a joke, but you guys are a total fraud.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Well, from my experience, battling mods is about as effective as pissing in the wind. Lots of verbiage exchanged and rarely does anything get changed.

19. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    I suppose. The dead weight of mediocrity always kills it in the end. The moaners on the main board have free reign to spew and if someone articulate like Oz gets banned they'll be happy to be amongst themselves again. The JNCP remnants are taking on that look as well, which I find even more disturbing.

20. robdog

Ratings:
    +262
    2 insulting posts in a row. Oh well, everyone has an opinion. It comes with the territory of running a forum. If you have any "constructive" idea, I am all ears. But this is going to get you no where...

Bottom line, Oz did himself in. You did read his post about taking bets on how long it would take him to get banned here? Would you like me to post his response to my conversation him and I had once he started here? Maybe that would give you some more insight to our "fraudulent" ways we run our board.

21. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    You are losing the plot a little bit here robdog, likely because your henchman or henchwoman has only pointed out a small part of the story. It was the JNCP crowd I labelled a fraud. With Bolttalk I was only questioning your level of competence. Hey... wasn't there a Star Trek episode where little fuzz balls were taking bets on anything? haha... In any case if you did not look... Natty has set the over under line at ten days for me.

As it appears Oz has violated the Prime Directive. (excuse the link... some main board idiot may hop in to say that I am insulting your intelligence by providing it). Captain Picard has flown in to take corrective measures and now wonderfulness has been restored. Little cretins can condemn Mathews for breaking his leg, Norv for calling the play which led to Mathews breaking his leg, and A.J. for hiring Norv to the position where he could call the play in which Mathews broke his leg. Not to forget Dean Spanos... but if it gets as far as Alex Spanos, the story would get too Republican. Not to worry though... the life forms on the main board only tend to remember fumbles when history class becomes too taxing.

The Romulan Empire over at Chargers.com was tolerated by Star Fleet for about 250,000 posts. Don't ask me to measure that in light years. But at some point it was decided that their local dialect was becoming too offensive. It was no longer fashionable to use terms like bastages, corksoakers, and label an anal orifice a Bob Dole. Captain Tom fired a few more volleys of their famous photon torpedoes into the population and Blue Bolt had finally seen enough. Why he decided on this place is a mystery to me. But he brought with him a gaggle of talented writers and jackfrosting who can compensate quality with quantity. Oz has demonstrated them to be corrupt though. They will biatch about Star Fleet if it suits them. They will ally themselves with Star Fleet if it suits them too.

I will make you a final offer before dedicating myself to the Taliban Wing. Your negotiation process with Oz was flawed and politically driven. If you want to demonstrate yourself operating on an intellectual level superior to Chargers.com... reinstate Oz and give this a second chance. If this does not work out then you could be welcome to ban the both of us.

22. robdog

Ratings:
    +262
    My apologies for misunderstand your point about another forum, and it is totally fair to question the level of competence of a site owner. The jury is still out on my level of competence. (at least that is what the wife tells me...)

I am not one for politics. I am pretty much the lone Democrat in a family(personal family) of Republicans, so I learned quick that arguing about politics is really whoever talks the loudest. I REALLY try to separate politics completely when running a website. The main thing that I am concerned about it new signups, visits and page views, which leads me to conundrum that is Oz.

Did he have well written posts that some would find intellectually stimulating? Yes. Did he have well written posts that rubbed a number of individuals the wrong way? Yes. Hell, I would probably get along with Oz just fine and have a good time. (beer and pork ribs for both of you at F4 this Saturday if you want to test that theory)

I will be giving this issue some more thought, and I will be talking with a few current members and reminding them about the ignore feature.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    Thank you robdog. I sincerely appreciate this.

24. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    If you are having trouble making up your mind robdog... here is some required reading.

Nonsense and Non Sequiturs
    Interesting to note is who is patting who on the back with "likes", "agrees" and "winners".

Unity amongst the female mod lobby. This of course is very useful in crowd control.

This line of "we all come here to relax" has always served as a familiar irritant to me. What does this mean? Perhaps... "let us spew all sorts of blather and don't force us to have to expend the energy to defend any of it".

This one is of course is the kicker. Some people should have voted in my poll. But of course they would never have the courage to do so. jackfrosting the self-acclaimed lesser light was the only one taking on Oz head to head... (and probably enjoying it). The rest... (particularly your staff)... were perpetrating a distasteful group dynamic... (thus encouraging more of the same from those followers lacking their own originality). A few were discrete enough to let things take its natural course... (eg: me pro... Blue Bolt con).

I think it is adequately been represented that mistakes were made on both sides. Your staff behaved badly. Oz did as well, but under certain provocation.

As I pointed out. You can rise above the Chargers.com model... or you can be a second class imitation of the same. Please reinstate Oz and give free speech and independent thought a proper chance on this board.

25. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    For Christ sakes it's the internet, dude wasn't blantly calling out or trashing members I'm on a few other boards where he is a member dude has his opinions that sometimes chafe my shorts but I can respond or ignore, at times he can make some enlightening posts and put up some damn informative stats & facts. He loves to debate and enjoys it if you want to engage it's your choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    With all due respect, the Wiggles Chat Room and Alt.com are both "the internet, dude..."
    but generalizing beyond that is pretty pointless. I was away on vacation for almost all of
    Oz's brief skidmark here, but the posts I did see were rude--mostly for rude's sake--
    (pretentiously declared himself "begged" to be here, to liven it up...and that none of the posts here were worth commenting on).
    I'm no choir boy, and I'm sure lots of folks here don't care for my style. But obviously contrived faux
    obnoxiousness--and pretending it rattles someone's cage--is 12 year-old stuff. I'm a huge 1st Amendment guy,
    but this isn't a 1st Amendment issue. It's like the guy who moves into the Agrestic condo
    complex that has rules against red towels on the balcony, first thing he does is hang a red towel
    on his balcony, then cries when the minimum wage security guy tells him "that won't fly here."
    I tried to ignore Sandolf's first half dozen posts about Oz, because I didn't give a damn, and
    Sandolf seems like a nice guy. But I for one am getting pretty sick of this.
    You (and robdog, for that matter) say that Oz has sporadically posted intelligent stuff.
    I wish I'd seen that...really I do. Because I only saw pretentious, faux-intellectual, hostile,
    ugly (yet empty) posts from him. Like Sandolf I oppose mediocrity...but the little turds of Oz's
    that I did see were below mediocrity...not above it. Nothing worthy of missing...or defending.
    And I think the "Free Oz" nonsense denigrates legitimate free speech issues. Just my 2 cents.

• Winner Winner x 1
  27. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    ... and after the red towel owner is evicted, a small army of the "minimum wage security guys" (and gals) high five each other and dance a little jig with the complex grandmas.

Thanks for your input Lance.

28. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Well, I know you don't know me Sandy, so I'll just share with you that no one
    who does has ever mistaken me for the grandmotherly type. Either how I speak or how I live.
    I don't take crap from people, I have strong opinions, and more than my share of rough edges.

That said, I try to put my most diplomatic (and gentle?) :) foot forward here, because
    I enjoy having this source of Charger info, provided largely by other idiots as obsessed as I.

Even still, I can still annoy (ask Blue), but I don't think anyone really believes that I'm
    merely TRYING to annoy...or--even more childish--actually signed up to annoy (aka "stir the pot").

I don't know you well enough to know if your "thanks" was sarcastic or not.
    I'll choose to accept it as sincere. :whistling:

29. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    It was sincere and I recognize you are not the gloating sort. The ones I was referring to know who they are.

30. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Fair enough. Consider me vented. Carry on. (and let's get the cool dog avatar back, soon: "Free the Lab!")

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.