1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Freeney fined for postgame comments

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Da Bolts, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Da Bolts

Da Bolts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Opps.. There goes a chunk of his playoff bonus check..

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3823511

Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney was hit with a $20,000 fine by the NFL for his expletive-laced interview following last week's 23-17 overtime playoff loss to the San Diego Chargers.
    The league cited Freeney for making "inappropriate comments on officiating," according to the Indianapolis Star.
    Freeney, apparently frustrated by the three defensive penalties incurred as the Chargers made their game-winning drive, told Yahoo! Sports after the game: "Those were the worst [expletive] calls I've seen in a long time ... To have a game of that magnitude taken out of your hands, it's just disgusting. It's not like they made one [expletive] bad call -- it's three calls, in overtime ... They need to start investigating some other [expletive]."

2. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Good thing the NFL can't fine NFL bulletin board posters. :tup:

3. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Don't worry Freeney. I'm sure that Polian will get a lot of things changed this off season.

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074

With all the Multis, could you fine the same person 20 times?

5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074

Maybe they should work harder on trying to figure out a way on how to get a first down.

6. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

Polian is a blue ribbon jackass for throwing players under the bus

Everyone in this building is sick over the result. Let me say at the outset that this is a football game. I have friends who have lost their life savings. I’m sure everybody has friends who have lost their jobs, as I do. We have men and women fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan – some related to people in this building. A football game in that context is nothing. There are no two ways about that. It’s nothing. Having said that, if you’re involved in it either as a fan or as someone who is employed by the team, then it’s hard to swallow. What makes it so difficult to swallow is that we did it to ourselves. We wasted, I think, one of the great defensive efforts that certainly this group has put together and maybe in the history of this club, given the quality of that offense. Their quarterback (Philip Rivers) came in with a quarterback rating of over 100. We’ve joked about it (the passer rating) and it’s stupid, but everybody is measured by it. It’s a benchmark, which is probably what they intended in the first place. But the bottom line is he was barely above a 60 quarterback rating in the game without (Colts cornerback) Marlin Jackson, without (middle linebacker and defensive captain) Gary Brackett, without the two defensive tackles (Quinn Pitcock and Ed Johnson). That’s an incredible, incredible defensive performance – four sacks, two turnovers. To not win that game is hard to comprehend and hard to swallow. What happened was we had one of the great defensive plays – maybe in playoff history – knocking them out of field-goal range and forcing them to punt the ball into the wind and into the four-minute period. Now, we’re in four-minute (offense), which we practice virtually from Day One of training camp – and virtually from Day One of minicamp – where we want to run the ball and make them use times out. That’s exactly what happened. We get six yards on the first play (from the Colts 1). (Running back) Joseph (Addai) rams it up in there and bang, away we go. Now, we have to two downs to make four yards and the game is over. We’re going home. Unfortunately, on the next play, we had it completely blocked. It was probably up to the safety. Whether it’s the play design or a wrong path, Joe didn’t hit the hole as quickly as he should have and it closed up. We didn’t get certainly the four yards we were going to get and very likely more. That’s no finger-pointing at Joe. As he does every week, he gave 100 percent effort. But he just didn’t get to the hole fast enough. As a result, we were forced to go into kind of an exotic formation and they handled it. To their credit, they handled it, then of course we punt the ball to (Darren) Sproles and he does his thing. Everyone in this building, including (Colts Owner and Chief Executive Officer) Jim Irsay, talked about it all week: ‘Don’t let Sproles beat us in the kicking game,’ and he did. They end up tying the score and our defense was out of gas at that point. Plus, obviously the (overtime) penalties didn’t help it any, but that game for all intents and purposes should have been over and we should have won. That’s very, very tough to swallow, but it is what it is. We’ll wallow around and cry in our beer for another couple of days, then we’ll get on with the job making this team better. But it is a lesson underscored of what (Colts Head Coach) Tony (Dungy) virtually ends every practice with. He always talks about being on top of the details and taking the right path to that hole in four-minute is a detail – admittedly a minute one, but on those details hinge the winning and losing of football games. (Penn State Football Coach) Joe Paterno is fond of saying – and I heard this when I was 22 or 23 years old – ‘Take care of the little things and the big things will take care of themselves.’ All the commentators and everybody talks about the big things. It’s up to us to concentrate on the little things. For whatever reason – and I hasten to add, ‘It’s not Joseph’s fault’ – we didn’t take care of a detail there. As a result, we’re going home and San Diego’s going on. That’s just the way it is. It’s hard to swallow, but you learn a lesson from it. Pay attention to detail.

7. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    So did the VP of officiating.

It was holding 2x. The hold on the CB was due to the Colts *****fest in 2003.
    It was a face mask.

YO! Freeney! Go ***** at your QB, he is the reason that call is now made. :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

9. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH!

10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Karma, like Freeney, is a bi_tch

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    He should be fined for signing with the Colts!!!

12. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Blah blah blah blah blah. I have yet to hear how the Colts were outplayed for 4 quarters.

Go ahead. Nitpick on all the small things after the fact. But the Bolts missteps (yes... part of the game indeed) were the only reason it was close to begin with.

Bottome line? You got beat. You got out hustled. You got out gameplanned. You got outplayed on offense and defense. Put simply, the right team won.

Now say it, "On Saturday night the Chargers were better than the Colts." Take it on the chin like men.

• Like Like x 2
  13. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    Sweet! Freeny's head would explode if the Colts were "Hochulied" like the Chargers were, eh?

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Yeah, that was a freakin' bogus call on Session, wasn't it? *pfffffffft*

Maybe he should talk to Sproles.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    I just posted the stuff about the 2003 playoff game where the colts complained to the league about the mugging in AFCCG which led to calls like the holding in OT.

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word :tdown: :icon_evil:

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    BOTTOM LINE...

COLTS SUCK!!!