1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Freeney takes pay cut, saves $1M in cap

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Mar 15, 2014.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Per ESPN.

• Like Like x 1
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
  3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,366
    • Like Like x 3
  4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    I would hope so. We're seeing guys who were overpaid by AJ (and in Freeney's case Telesco, though that was something of a desperation signing so TT had less leverage, I presume) voluntarily take pay-cuts right and left (not huge amounts, but every little bit counts)... meanwhile Clary seemed just content to be the elephant in the corner and hoped no one noticed him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Could it have been "An Offer he couldn't refuse" ? Just wondering or wandering..

6. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    I'm starting to think the Clary pay cut won't be as big as we all hoped. No reason for him to take a pay cut to down near the minimum, and if that's what we expected we probably would have cut him by now.

7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Im thinking that also, Although the vet minimum is what he should be making, It would be nice if they could convince him to cut it in half to save us @ 3 more. But the way the other ones were worked out, they'll just skim a little off the top.

Knowing our luck this would be the one where they rework his contract adding more years, which could very well be they case, I highly doubt many GMs and Coaches are frothing at the mouth and knocking down doors to sign the 4th or 5th worst guard in the NFL. 10 more years of Jeromy Clary!!!

8. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    This is utter nonsense... but I'll address you for being the least unreasonable amongst those foaming over Clary's money.

1. We do not know if Freeney's pay cut was voluntary. I suspect it was not.
    2. The "elephant" is and remains Gaither. We are getting exactly nothing for his count against the cap. There is a certain value to keeping Clary on to mentor Fluker. Fluker did play better when Clary was starting at RG. The vet minimum assessment of Clary's value to this team is is not objective.

How may of you rocket scientists would work for minimum wage at your jobs when someone else in your company is getting top of the pay scale for staying at home?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    Right now we have seven guys on the team with cap hits bigger than Gaither's. You think the rest of the roster should just peace out?

10. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    For one in the example of Gaither/Clary we are comparing OL to OL. If you are getting diminishing returns... fine. You renegotiate. Freeney is coming off a bad year, while Clary`s productivity is increasing. Clary has not had injury problems... (I don`t think he has missed more than two or three games his entire career). Most of you would like to punish Clary for being Clary. Unfortunately for you it does not work that way.

11. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,763
    The problem lies with folks who perceive his performance doesn't equal his payroll allotment when it's obvious those that are paid to make such decisions accept his field evaluations on game day.

12. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    All I want is for the front office to bring Clary's salary down to a level that is consistent with what he would get on the open market. He has no incentive to take the league minimum because if that's what we offer he might as well try his hand in free agency. But if he and his agent have an inflated sense of Clary's value then at some point the Chargers need to be willing to cut bait and trust their own ability to identify and develop talent when looking for a replacement. As it stands we'll barely have enough money to sign our rookie class.

By the way Jared Gaither is being paid nothing by the San Diego Chargers in 2014.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    One of the most poorly thought out, ill-informed, altogether misguided posts I've ever seen on this site. And considering B4L and 1 Cool Guy used to be here, that's a heck of an accomplishment on your part.

1. Dwight Freeney has to sign the restructured contract...of course it was voluntary! He probably chose the pay cut over being released. You see there is a not so secret organization called the NFLPA, they would never allow a player to be docked pay because of age, injury, or underperformance. That is simply not how it works, the fact that you don't know this is baffling.

2. Gaither has nothing to do with keeping Clary, in fact the opposite. The dead money hit from Gaither should only increase the incentive to cut underachievers with bloated contracts like Clary and Cox, to make up the difference.
    Also Fluker only played 1 game at RT beside someone other than Clary, and Troutman had never even practiced there much less played at RG during the regular season. A 1 game sample size? So who's not being objective here?

A better question would be "how many people can suck at their job consistently, and avoid getting fired?"

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  14. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    We are not paying him any money, but he cost $4.0 million against the cap.

And why cut Clary now? He can be let go any time from now to the last cut down date in August and he costs us the same. Why not wait until we have a replacement for him? I do not deny that I think he costs too much for what he provides, but if we just cut him then we have another hole to fill before we even start. I would assume that TT and his staff are trying to work out something now, but I don't know that for sure. I expect him to get a contract extension and that will help out our cap money this year.

15. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    Yeah I agree with all of that. My point about Gaither's pay is that Gaither himself isn't benefiting, he just counts against the cap. Even if he were being paid by us it wouldn't affect the Clary negotiations, but the fact that Gaither is not being paid any money just makes the comparison even worse.

Otherwise, yes, no reason to cut the guy, at least until we have to sign our rookie class. But if it becomes obvious that Clary isn't going to take a pay cut then you have to move on while alternatives are still available. If we get past the draft and we haven't drafted or signed another free agent OL then Clary's leverage in these negotiations improves quite a bit.

16. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    Fancy you being the one to invoke the memory of B4L. At least Alan was a good guy when you except his Norv mania.

17. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378

There needs to be a replacement found for Cam Thomas. Upgrading at RG would be nice, but not nearly as pressing. You can't have too many good linemen.

18. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    If only we could find the money for a free agent NT. I wonder what move we could make to free up that extra cash;)

I agree that NT is probably the biggest need. Draft unfortunately seems light on the kind of player we could use there.

19. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    I don't think there is a free agent replacement out there that suits the Chargers.

Money wise... (to end this silly argument)... I figure Clary is going to be offered an extension at a reduced rate. He'll probably accept.

20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Fancy you being the one invoke the strategy of ignoring the main point of my post, yet again.

I got you pegged Sandy. ;) We seem to be on a cycle of you saying something stupid, me countering, you avoiding answer, you coming back a few days later with the same something stupid....rinse and repeat.

21. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87
    NT is a need, and I have a feeling that TT is opting to see how the market shakes out for the younger players who could fill the role with upside, like Raji and Cody. Both have shown to have holes in their respective games, but both still have upside (if one can assume that Raji is capable of returning to the form he once displayed).

TT seems to be a proponent of upside as a major selling point. Only the Freeney signing bucks this trend, and that was reactionary to Ingram going down. I do not think that this is the best decision regarding the most important position in the 3-4 scheme...but if it works, it solidifies the unit's front 7 for years to come.

22. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    Raji re-signed with the Packers. One year, $4 million.

Possible that Wilfork gets released.

23. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    Not to worry mattie. Even if you do miscalculate, Conc has your back. :D

24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Wilfork is a 33 year old 340 pound man coming off an ACL, I can't believe he hasn't been released yet.

25. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Whoops, shows where my head has been over the past few days. Wilfork would be an excellent stopgap for a couple of years assuming a full recovery AND no deterioration in play, although he will likely command a large number against the cap to justify these risks.

The rotation that was employed immediately after losing Jamal in which Garay/Franklin/Thomas would spell each other worked quite well, and I can see us doing the same thing next season if a premier candidate to anchor the NT spot is not found via FA or draft. Thomas clearly couldn't handle being "the guy, and I doubt someone like Cody would just be signed and handed the job without first being given the opportunity via a rotation with Lissemore.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    .............uh huh, these unintelligible posts have become one of your key back down strategies.

Well as ungraceful as it is, at least you never have to admit when your wrong. :tup:

27. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    You wouldn't know the difference. There is no value in getting the last word in on a discussion like this one.

• Funny Funny x 2
  28. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    I think Wilfok is recovering from an Achilles injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,763
    It wouldn't be a good idea to dig a new hole to fill another one when importing additional dirt would be the prudent thought.

30. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Spoken like someone who hasn't read a single one of my other posts on the topic. You want to try and pass judgment on me - get ALL the facts and come correct. Till then, take you hyperbole and your attempts to put words in my mouth and shove them.

• Winner Winner x 1