1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Freeney takes pay cut, saves $1M in cap

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +389
    You are making assumptions and issuing instructions based on them! Subordinate your fans and spare me this shet. By covering both sides of any discussion you're never going to be completely wrong.

2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    So in other words you're either arguing just to argue or just to troll.

I spent a full page going back and forth with Mati defending why Clary was still on the roster because creating holes just to create holes is moronic, and that ultimately I figured - given the way the team thinks of him - even if he is beaten out for his starting spot, they'll likely look to keep him around on a reduced rate as a reserve (which he has value as given his positional diversity, albeit lackluster play at just about all of them).

Now, if we'd like to get back to my ORIGINAL point, which you've sidestepped twice now (and yes, introducing Gaither into the conversation when he has very little to do with the current situation) - we've seen starters and key role-players on both sides of the ball willingly (whether voluntarily or not is an unknown) take pay-cuts this off-season to aid the team accounting - and presumably to stay with the team (since it's naive to assume that these weren't the product of "what do you think you can get on the open market and uproot versus get here and not" convo's between player/rep and management). Given that Clary's is the 4th highest salary this year for the team, and is at a rate for a position he no longer plays us, he would seem a very logical candidate - comparable the type of players on the roster we've been asking to take a pay-cuts - to approach. Now, if you'd like to refer to my "utter foolishness" post earlier, nowhere in it did I reference releasing Clary. I said he should be a prime candidate to be pressed for a pay-cut.

But please... show me how I'm playing both sides of the field.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,777
    Freeney probably still has one foot out the door so I don't think it would have been to tough a decision on his part to agree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Yeah, I know it is only for 1 year, but if Freeney fades injury, he and Ingram can form a pretty nice pass rushing OLB duo, and JJ's run-stuffing skillset complements Freeney's style well.

Of course, pass rushing ability in a 3-4 is contingent upon the front 3 being able to win the trenches...which goes back to the need to acquire the ability to service the NT position, either by gambling in FA, gambling in the draft, or gambling with a rotation.

A lot of upside here, though...especially when one adds when Liuget and Reyes have both shown in the past in terms of penetrating into the backfield. I emphasize past, since this was clearly lacking in key moments last season.

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    It's true. That said, I have no issue even at the salary we now have him down to, keeping him around as a situational rusher, if for no other reason than the guy comes across as as-good or potentially-better LB coach than Joe Barry is. Folks like to prognosticate (not saying here, but I see it a lot around the interwebs) with the "put him behind ___ and let him learn from ____, and he can be great," but this assumes that _____ is a willing teacher and mentor which, as we've seen in the past with some vets (e.g. Brett Favre), isn't always the case.

With Freeney it is - he showed it last season while on the IR, still showing up to practices, still showing up on the sidelines and giving guys like Keiser and Tourek valuable tips and mentoring. That's a guy, if you're trying to bring in young pass-rushers to groom to be your "starters of the future," that you absolutely want on your roster if you can afford it - particularly one that has had the success in the past of Freeney. That salary becomes an investment in the future, and hedging the investment of both draft pick and money given thereto into the rookies (and guys already on the roster: Williams, Law, Ingram), as much as it is the present season.

6. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,777
    You might be right. Freeney loves the game and worked hard to get where he has been. I don't know if coaching is in his future, I'm sure he'll take some time off after retirement to think things through. I'd imagine a good many of these guys go back to their roots and try to help others that are in the same shoes he used to wear. That to me is better than him just showing up on Sundays talking about the games coming up that day. Good people deserve to be taught by other good people who can mean the difference of making good choices over bad ones and help others down the line.

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,079
    And some guys who were real pieces of work when they were players, somewhat surprisingly, turn out to be really good coaches - part of that I suppose could be the removal from the spotlight and finding something that they're good at that helps ground them and gives them a new sense of purpose. Look at Joey Porter. The guy was extremely good in his prime and notorious for his inflated opinion of himself even when his skills diminished below what that opinion was. But all accounts are he's been an outstanding LB coach at Colorado State.

8. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,777
    You just never know how these guys will end up with their inflated egos and what not but that does come with the territory of working hard to be the best of the best. One must believe in ones self before other will believe but sometimes it's ends up a bit over the top after success is finally realized.

9. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +389
    Funny that what doesn't eat out of your hand gets labelled a troll. You are the undisputed Ruler of the Mud Pit.

http://bolttalk.com/threads/just-a-...e-cut-from-each-team.28641/page-2#post-813806

http://bolttalk.com/threads/chargers-sign-donald-brown-rb-from-colts.28677/page-2#post-814050

etc... etc...

• Funny Funny x 1