1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Friars Call up Alexander

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Aug 20, 2006.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    08/20/2006 6:10 PM ET
    SAN DIEGO -- With shortstop Khalil Greene on the disabled list, the Padres had just one shortstop on the roster -- utility infielder Geoff Blum.

Blum will see most of the time at shortstop while Greene is out, but to back Blum up, the Padres purchased the contract of Manny Alexander from Triple-A Portland on Sunday. The 35-year-old Alexander has played in 102 games for Portland this season, hitting .265 with seven home runs and 37 RBIs.

"[Alexander's] been around. He's got experience," manager Bruce Bochy said. "He allows me to have a little more flexibility if I wanted to make a move at shortstop."

Alexander, a Dominican Republic native, missed nearly all of Spring Training this season with visa troubles.
    With the move, the Padres optioned pitcher Mike Thompson back to Portland, his fourth time being optioned back this season. He made a spot start on Saturday against the Diamondbacks, filling in for Clay Hensley.

Hensley pulled his left glute a couple of days ago, and was a last-minute scratch on Saturday. Thompson allowed four runs over 5 2/3 innings and was the victim of some shabby defense behind him. Hensley isn't expected to make a trip to the disabled list, and made a relief appearance on Sunday.
    [​IMG]
    Full Name: Manuel De Jesus Alexander
    Born: 03/20/1971
    Birthplace: San Pedro de Macoris, Dominican Republic
    Height: 5'10" Weight: 180
    Bats: Right
    Throws: Right
    College: N/A
    MLB Debut: 09/18/1992

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Let's hope Alexander can do well until Khalil's return.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,889
    Blum actually has been doing rather well

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I hope Khalil can be back sooner rather than later!!:icon_eek:

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    He has in his role...a dependable bench guy. If the Pads hadta go with him for the rest of the season, I might hafta join the "sky is falling" crowd.:icon_eek:

Or mebbe jes stand nextta them whilst they're chanting.:icon_mrgreen:

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

T,

the sky is falling crowd don't know their *** form a hole in the ground.

this team was built to be a .500 team. no more no less

towers is a man who knows his business and that business is to make money for the moores family.

:icon_evil:

edit: can I say *** on this board???

7. Greeney03

Greeney03 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    I don't think he'll get a lot of playing time, Blummer is playing well. Thank goodness we didn't call up Brazelton. Stauffer played really well tonight

8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I'm impressed with this dude; he made an outstanding play last nite fielding a **** throw from Barfield while still keepin contact with the bag...he doesn't make that play, coulda been a very different out come :yes: :tup:

9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I think Braz is still nicked up in Portland...hafta check my sources. Plus if he did get the call, right offa the bat, he's still dealin with a +20 ERA that ain't gonna get any better til he gets summmpm differentta throw up there then that **** hit'me fastball he trotted out at the first of the year. :no: :tdown: :icon_evil: