1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

From the Bleacher Report

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Aug 17, 2009.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Say it ain't so Boltheads!!! Is this crap true??

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/237306-chargers-lose-preseason-opener-to-seahawks

The quest begins again. The San Diego Chargers looked like they were keeping their cards on the table last night, showing almost nothing of their high-powered scoring machine. The Seattle Seahawks took advantage of the lack of offense, and cashed in a 20-14 preseason opening win.

LaDainian Tomlinson actually got a few carries, but once Seattle hit him good a couple of times, he was quickly returned to the sideline. The standout player was WR Charly Martin, the new Wes Welker. KEEP this guy, or the Raiders will sign him and we will pay for it forever.

Instead of giving the usual by the numbers game story, I like to tell the other tale, as in what it's like to attend a game at the Q.

Entry into the lot

The city and the Chargers have both conspired to allow the parking lot to crumble to dust. Each says its the others fault. I saw whole sections of 5-6 spaces that are no longer paved at all. For 25 bucks x 17,000 a pop, all season long, you would think a nice coat of tar would be in order. Dream on...

Then there is the San Diego Police factor, as in everywhere and relentless.

Since the city is broke, they look upon a Charger game as an opportunity to write as many tickets as possible, and send in every available police unit for the occasion. I saw an SUV full of Charger fans rolling around the lot waving flags and yelling, having some fun, and I saw a SDPD unit peel out in pursuit of them, and spray gravel on top of everyone behind it. Then there was the towing of someone's Escalade before the game, always a classy move.

In 1980, I drove my 73 Cadillac around the lot like a madman after games cleared out, doing doughnuts and such, right in front of the cops- no problem. I would probably get five years for doing that now. Freedom? That's long gone folks, and we let them take it from us...

I saw cops on Segways, a truly embarrassing sight, considering the amount of bikers we have in SD, pulling someone over with a Segway has to be a little humiliating.

I understand the need for some police protection, but the city has gone way overboard; since 9-11, it's all anyone can do to avoid a ticket, and or a cuffing, and or a tasering while attending a game at the Q. And that's eight seasons of this crap now.

What is going to happen is the Chargers will be gone, and the police will have to make up the lost revenue by cracking down on every person who moves outside, day and night. Something to look forward to. I can assure you, if the Chargers move, so will I...

Entry into the Q

Cattle. That's what we are. There is no need to staff all the gates at the Q, just herd us through 6 gates, all 60,000 of us. I saw a sign, Special VIP entrance. I guess we don't qualify as VIP. I mean, all we do is pay for the whole damn venture every game, but we are NOTHING compared to Joe Millionaire.

Twenty minutes to go from the end of the line to getting frisked. Someone took cuts, and was promptly heckled by the impatient crowd, Cuts is a concept I had forgotten about since about 5th grade. Security took him away, for taking CUTS.

2. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I asked a security guard why the gates were all closed, and she said "Do you want to hear what they told us to tell you, or the truth?" I asked for the truth. "This is how they want it, you guys don't matter, we are saving money on staff." I knew it...

Then, for the Chargers big giveaway last night? Absolutely nothing. Not even a 1 cent sheet calendar. I bet Joe Millionaire got some freebies up in the Gold level. Gold level says it all.

Watching the Game

The PA at the Q hit a new decibel level last night. Well over 120 DB. I have been a club VJ for the last two decades, and I know loud when I hear it. The sound assault never ends, from the bad rap music they play during warm ups, to the announcer screaming about every play at the top of his lungs.

I have a suggestion: ease back about 50 percent, we get it. I won't hold my breath...

Newbie Fans

I hope I was not quite this stupid when I was 21. There were several new ticket holders (college dudes) in my section, all wearing sideways baseball caps, with an endless supply of beer to fuel them.

They were freaking out on the first couple drives, screaming, jumping on the rail, and using an incredible amount of profanity in front of my friend's nine-year-old daughter... real classy.

All of us old guys were just staring off into space, dealing with it. The main objective of these newbies was not football, but to discuss their sexual problems as loudly as possible, and to look for more girls to have them with.

They brought down two gold digging skanks from the bar in the third quarter, and actually thought they were gonna get some action out of it. After squeezing some free beer out of these guys, the girls spilt, off to look for rich football players to bone after the game. I had to laugh...

And those girls were also clueless about football, they were there to get their pictures taken while kissing each other, and show off how hot they were. I give them a five. Grizzled is the term I would use, they were probably hot 10 years ago...

Then, the newbies, after making such a ruckus in the first quarter about how great the $#%^%$# Chargers were, left with 10 minutes on the clock in the fourth quarter. The fourth quarter is WINNING TIME, not let's go and get some more beer time. Beer will always be waiting, why leave a game you paid 98 bucks a head to get into early?

It boggles the mind. We don't think they will make it to the end of the season, the even money is on them all getting their tickets revoked for being drunken idiots. They narrowly avoided a fight with a Seahawk fan who was tired of looking at their backs instead of the game. What happens when a REAL fan from Denver or Oakland tells them the same thing during a game that counts? Break out the handcuffs...

The Fourth Quarter

If the Chargers are losing, people just get up and walk out. By the time the Chargers made their late run at a win, 50,000 people were long gone. I never leave early, and the people who do need to take a long look at just how good a fan they really are.

Besides, leaving early just makes you a target to get pulled over on the way out, giving the city some more revenue... Fun stuff!!!

Don't get me wrong, when its crunch time, there is nowhere else I would rather be than at the stadium, but it just ain't as much fun as it used to be. We San Diegans live in a gigantic lockdown, and I remember when that would not have been tolerated.

Can't wait for the next home game, maybe I can afford a 9.50 hot dog this time...

3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    YAWN.

It is that way for EVERY preseason game due to cheap or free tickets. You get a bunch of yahoos that will never be at a regular season game.

I don't know what happened to this guy before in his life, but he sounds like a guy who is just bitter toward cops.

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :lol: Best article from Bleacher Report ever. :lol:

Actually, his take on staffing, police, and parking lot action is on par with what I noticed at the Chiefs regular season game last year.

The Q is crumbling... staff doesn't give a **** about any of the fans... and the lines are fuc.king ridiculous.

But I'm coming down for the home opener anyways. :icon_party:

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Wow... what a whiner :lol: I had to wait in line! The sound was too loud! Oh no, there were drunk college guys cursing and picking up chicks! The gigantic parking lot isn't freshly paved! Sombody call the waaaambulance :p

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    This sounds like some guy got a ticket, and now it is time to fire back at the city. And besides who would want to drive around in a Cadillac after a game acting stupid?

7. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I think his best friend was the guy who opened fire on all those women last week.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    There is a pandemic. This thread is being quarentined due to an outbreak ofthe deadly WHINE FLUE!

9. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :lol:

the Whine flu

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

10. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Maybe they should let Television broadcast the home games, that way we dont have to put up with that guys guys BS!

11. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    DON'T LET THE CITY, THE NFL AND IT'S TEAMS REAR END YOU LIKE A ROMAN CATHOLIC PRIEST.

And getting down on others when they recognize a problem only helps the problem become accepted...

12. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    He is right about the cops. In San Diego, and other cash strap cities, the cops are making money for their department.

San Diego is one of the worst on this.

An example. Parking near SDSU. It is all permitted. The city, in an attempt to get more revenue, decided to raise it from $14 to $46. They cited the "costs to enforce it" . People complained and were pushing the city to remove them or lower the fee. They lowered the fee. Fact is the thousands of dollars a day during school season they get from it more than makes up for the cost of 2-3 meter maids.

They offered refunds to everyone who paid the higher price, a refund that wasn't publicized and wasn't given unless asked.

San Diego Police are the same. Giving tickets to drunk people and general disturbances are the best way to generate money. They probably get thousands of dollars in fines. A couple of DUI's and they get even more. Couple hundred extra in fines just for towing the car. The city "complains" about how they don't need that many cops. Fact is the city puts the cops there to generate money from fines. The more city complains, the more it benefits them.

13. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    If you follow the rules, then you don’t have to worry about paying a fine. If you want to drink and drive, then you must accept the consequences. I am not saying that I am an angel, I am far from it. BUT If I do something wrong, and I get caught, Then I will accept my consequences.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I was mostly talking about drunk in public, minor in possession, obsessive noise, etc. The small fines that most people wouldn't get targeted for in other cities are pushed at Charger games and in San Diego in order to generate money.

If someone is obviously drunk they should be pulled off the road. However, in some places like San Diego it has become more of a way to generate money. This can be seen when cops give DUI's for people under .08, which they can give. Usually it is dropped in court, after court. However, the city generates money from fines because of this. San Diego's DUI division in PB is the most profitable in the police department and not only covers most costs, but allows income for other departments.

If you do something wrong, punishment is deserved. However, being drunk and arrested paying fines for it seem pointless. The cops have gotten obsessive and a lot worst at the Q. I am worried that is more of an attempt to generate income then protection given that cases of assault and other cases haven't really gone down, only arrests and fines have gone up.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I have never ever seen anyone ticketed and/or arrested who didn't deserve it at the Q... that said, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen... I just find it hard to believe the cops are riding around handing out tickets to people for no reason. :icon_shrug: I mean... wouldn't giving out a ticket that will only be overturned in court be a waste of $$ by the city and totally counter productive?

16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Where we tailgate, we have at least one cop go by us at least once every five minutes, for the few hours before we head into the game. If it is not in a car, they are on foot, on one of those Segways, on bike, or during the Raider game on a horse. I have always had at least a beer in my hand, and I have never had any altercation by the Cops (within the last 5 Years). They don’t stop because we are not doing anything stupid. The Cops are not going to ticket someone just for drinking a beer in the parking lot. There has to be something else to go along side that, and if they are doing something stupid enough to have a cop stop and question them, then they deserve to have a ticket written.

17. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    interesting points all.

I have never had an altercation with police even in my stupidest of decisions I've made. I have always tried to treat police with respect no matter how bombed I've been.

It doesn't take much to NOT act like an *** in front of the cops.
    I think for the most part that's all they ask

:tup:

18. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    You can use the argument similar to "If you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to fear". However, having one of the largest police presence of any stadium in the league isn't something to brag about. Fights still happen without it.

Some of the older fans won't experience problems. Perhaps some people ignore what is going on. I am sure some will assume I have gotten fined (I have not), this just goes on to show some people have a veil they don't lift.

Pay attention and you will see cops harass younger fans. There has been at least one instance of a fan walking to a friends car, opening it up and getting a DUI because he had the keys. Don't believe me look it up. You don't have to be driving, just have probable intention to drive.

As for worrying about court costs, many cops don't care. A good portion of court cases, minor, that are challenged are dropped. Cops get paid for going to them.

In any case the massive cop presence has done little to make the area secure. Fans from other teams complain about it, new fans complain about it, some just ignore the cops going around every 5 minutes.

Personally I don't want to go to a police state. When there are more cops at a San Diego game than a Raider game (which has a lot of cops) fans should start asking questions.

Besides don't forget the "waste" of tax dollars having to take cops off from other areas, mostly paying overtime for extra cops.

19. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Just so ya know - I just turned 27 so I'm not quite over the hill (yet) ;) I've been going to games (Padres, Chargers and Bowl games) since I was 2 and to this day have yet to see someone being harrassed by the cops who didn't give them a reason. Now, I'm sure there are a few overzealous cops out there just like there are a few fans who ruin it for the rest of us... but you have to think of it like the city and the chargers do. They HAVE to do all they can to provide a safe enviornment for those attending the games. If they didn't they would be wide open to lawsuits in this day and age.

Because some people cannot handle their booze or being out in public we all suffer the consequences in some respect. Thus the police presense we see at public events around San Diego county.

Is it a perfect science? Hardly... but it's far from a police state. I mean say you have 45k people tailgating prior to a game, 25k are drinking, 5k are not just drinking but totally hammered. 5 thousand drunks is a lot to handle and I'm pretty sure that's a conservative number. Plus, with so many cops hanging around how many cars do you think get stolen or broken in to during the games? I would imagine the number is relatively low... eventhough during the game your car is like a sitting duck. Chances are, if it's parked there someone would have plenty of time to break in/drive off long before you ever even knew it was gone.

Again, do we have more police at our events? Maybe, but I havent been to many events outside of SD so I wouldn't be a good judge of that. All I know is that I don't get bothered by the cops b/c I mind my P's & Q's and if I'm drinking I don't drive. Either way, I don't see it as a big deal and it's not b/c I turn a blind eye to it it's b/c I have never once ever experienced or seen 2nd hand what you are describing. :icon_shrug:

20. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

HEY!!

When did this become the old fart thread!!!

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

:flag:

21. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807

:lol:

22. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Dude, I am going out on a limb here, I have been kicked out of more Charger games than you, And I have several incidents broken up by the police in the parking lot. Some teams fans do not know when to shut up!

23. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Before my oldest was old enough to go to a Raiders game, I would go by myself, and I kept my other season ticket in my truck. One year I had to use it, after I got tossed out of the game, I went back in using the other Ticket! Stupid Raider fans, his wife was very mad at him and as we left in cuffs she was yelling at him about all the money he just wasted. I knew I was going back in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

He says this, and then he said earlier in the article that he was doing donuts in his car in front of cops back in '73?

25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    back then, that was about the only thing you could do with a Cadillac.

26. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    :tup:

I have no problems with cops, but I don't tend to do **** that will get me in trouble with them. I have gotten my share of tickets, but I have pretty much deserved all of them, and deserved many more but didn't get caught.

27. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I think we all are in that same boat. My oldest was getting caught doing things that I did while growing up, so how do you get mad at him. But then we had a lot more freedom than the kids today. Then when they grow up, they will be saying the same exact thing we are right now.