1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Frustration post......

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerMike, Nov 22, 2013.

1. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +314
    I've been a Philip guy all the way....um...to this point., ...but to see what this guy's overcome through the years.....battled and fought......and to watch the way he throws a laser after laser..every freak'n week...
    It just pisses me the F*** off to think ..."What If"???!! :confused: :speechless:
    breezy2.jpg

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Understand the angst, but are you sure he would have had the same level of productivity if he had remained here? Is the offense he plays in different than that here? Perhaps the OL is better? Worse? Same?

A lot of variables. I think it is best to consider Brees a past Charger, wish him the best except when he plays us... But that is just my opinionated opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    I was thinking this last night too. We'll never know if that fumble in week 17 of 2005 might have cost us a future SB. The ripple effect was massive.

That said it's not entirely PRs fault we don't have one. He's not Brees, but at his peak he's close.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +314
    Yeah......I don't want this to be a PR bash session.....but damn....
    I just get jealous watch'n him every week....know'n we had him first....:(

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    There's a reason only two teams other than the Chargers even considered Brees, and of those three one chose Duante Culpepper over him, the other offered him an incentive laden contract that depended on his health, and the one of the three that was in the most desparate situation is the only one who offered a very lucrative contract.

It worked out great for them, of course, but you know what they say about hindsight.

I really would like to have seen if we would have made what I felt would have been the right move (even at the time) had he not had that career threatening injury.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    And all of that being said, even had we kept him that doesn't mean much in regards to whether or not we'd have won a SB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +314
    Probably not......because he wouldn't have been able to keep what he wanted personnel-wise with Lucifer AJ at the helm. :devilish: :tdown:

8. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +322
    But if you go back and watch Brees while he was with us I don't think you'd be overly impressed. Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember him as a "game manager" type like Alex Smith. His height was limiting; I remember a lot of batted down balls and balls even hitting helmets on the line, and his deep ball needed work. Once he injured his shoulder (with the possibility of it never being the same) the decision to go with Rivers was easy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +314
    Well yeah.....that was the nail.....no guarantee Breezy was coming back like he did.....it was a gamble AJ-Loser lost.....

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,641
    If Brees was 3/4 as good in SD as he is now, Rivers would likely have been sent to Dallas or someplace else as trade bait. The truth is that Brees was a good game manager who had trouble with deep balls and couldn't be expected to take over a game himself. It's a combination of new confidence & a system built for him (and maybe some help from surgery but who knows).

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Nice summary, Ant.

In addition, I suspect there may have been a little "extra" help from surgery…

12. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +314
    "Embedding Disabled".....I hate that. ;)

13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721

…and…they…call…this… America!.png :eek::oops:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +378
    Revisionist history. Brees was franchise tagged in his last year which turned out rather ordinary performance wise. The Chargers offered him a contract which he turned down. Benson was rebuiding after the Katrina effect. What he paid Brees based on his performance and subsequent injury was a HUGE risk. But there was an opportunity to do it. Had it gone terribly bad, Benson could have claimed he was trying to lift the New Orleans community when they were down at the lowest point. A.J. can't be blamed for not paying that crazy money for Brees. Only in hindsight does it look good.

15. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,481
    Odd though it may be to say, but I don't think Brees would've become the player he is today if he didn't get injured. He throws the deep balla hell of a lot better now after the rehab, than he did when he played for us. Brees remade himself, and the Saints were the beneficiaries.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +314
    Hindsight., AJ was a piece of s**t......yep....he still is.......

• Like Like x 1
  17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    He seemed like the game manager type because our offense was built around Tomlnison. Anytime you build your offense around a powerful run game your QB is going to look like a "game manager" at best.

I remember really liking what I saw from Brees whenever he was asked to throw the ball. I remember not wanting to draft a QB in 2004. And the only reason I agreed, even at the time, that it was the right decision to go with Rivers was because we already had him at that juncture and Drew hurt his shoulder possibly (but turning out not to be) in a career threatening level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,375
    And...Brees failed a physical with the Dolphins, the first team that gave him a look. Also, there was some...actually...a lot of speculation that Brees and his agent weren't completely truthful when it came to the extent of his injury. Some were saying it was worse than it was, and when he failed his physical in Miami, those 'some' looked right.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Of course, you can torture yourself with this kind of stuff all day long.

Every team has a long list of guys they let go, that went on and did better than expected elsewhere.

I loved Drew Brees, and didn't want him to leave…but Drew Brees here, was not "DREW BREES!" (with that crown on!)

Wes Welker here, was not "WES WELKER!" (nor was he for the next 3 years as a Dolphin!)

Nobody knows how Drew would've played, if he'd stayed here…or if he hadn't had the injury...or operation.

And, while we obviously all envy that Lombardi Trophy Brees has
    (in, ironically, 2009, the season I thought the Chargers were most able to take it…before Nate melted down)
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...stic-missed-field-goals-jets-article-1.462791
    Super Bowls have a halo effect that can distort the rest of the picture. Despite how lousy it may feel to us
    --especially when Drew puts up those pinball score numbers--the Chargers and Saints have been surprisingly
    even since Drew left…going into this season (2006-2012) the
    Chargers were 70-42, the
    Saints were 69-43.

Lifetime Passer Rating:
    Brees: 95.1
    Rivers: 95.4

In short, these two teams and these two QBs could hardly be more statistically equal…
    and if a field goal kicker with mental issues hadn't uncharacteristically gone 0-3 that day against the Jets,
    Rivers may have had a legitimate shot at being the one holding the one Lombardi Trophy that separates them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    I tell you, Sean Payton gets no where near the credit he deserves for fueling that city, team, and most importantly Drew Brees' career and legacy. Coaching has a lot to do with things, and I'm hoping we get some of the same success Brees and Payton have in NO here in SD with McCoy and Rivers. I really believe Rivers has a solid 3-5 seasons left under his belt. But hey, guess time will tell.

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    How funny the only thing I remember Brees managing was the bench. It always seemed that Flutie was the Calvary coming to the rescue. When AJ snagged Eli first I figured it was the beginning of the end for Brees, I'm sure he did too. The trade for Rivers blew me away as I had recently relocated from Dego to Raleigh, I was happy for the Bolts and figued AJ had something up his sleeve for Brees.

Brees sucked for the most part as a Charger, Marty didn't help the kid out much either and fell in love with Rivers at the Senior Bowl. He then whispered into AJ's ear on one of those long, cold and lonely San Diego winter nights. Brees came on in his last year and I felt as many did Rivers would or should be traded, then Marty struck and played Brees that last game.

I'm happy for Brees and his accomplishments, I still don't respect the man. Brees fell into a pool of shite and has come out smelling like a rose, except for that one spot he can't wipe off. I can't say his fortunes would have turned out as great as they have had he stayed in Boltville. I didn't like Eli coming out but what a battle that would have been to witness but it wasn't meant to be. AJ hurt this team that fateful day, it just took ten years to fester out.

22. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I get frustrated when people dwell on the past and suggest "we should have kept (insert name here) " so on and so forth
    just as much as I was frustrated with the last 2 year having a complete stranger come up to me, who is a non Charger fan (I live in AZ) and asking what was wrong with Rivers, just because I had a Charger hat on. Then when you explain to them all the things that factor into what was wrong, The system, The O line, The WR's running the wrong routes, then they look at me like I'm the retard and say, "no that's not it, he throws too many INT's for that to be it. I just think he's done and washed up"

Back to my original rant, it takes two to agree on a contract, we really don't know what the conversation was behind the closed doors when it came to Sproles, Vincent Jackson, Luis Vasquez, and even Drew Brees. Maybe they wanted to test the market, maybe they wanted a change of scenery etc etc

I do know, Brees's injury, he wasn't suppose to come back and play the way he was or even come back at all. Only a couple teams took a chance on him and it just so happen to be very well worth it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    ahhh the good ole Breesians Vs. Rivers Rats era... The smoldering scars can still be seen over at the UT. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Agreed. I was a huge VJ supporter…but when it came out that that DUI was not his first…that combined with
    his desire for a massive payday (which he got in Tampa) made allocating all those resources--on a guy who was one
    small step from being suspended by the league--just too costly and risky.

Sproles left after a 2010 season in which fans were asking "What's wrong with Sproles? Where's his burst?"
    he didn't look like the same guy he did from '07 to '09. And, as blasphemous as this is to say, I think the media
    has kind of over-hyped Darren's play in New Orleans. Yes, he's been a spark, and they've used him creatively,
    but his overall numbers aren't really all that amazing. We're constantly reminded of the "all-purpose"
    yardage record of 2011 (see Hall of Fame (!) display, below) as if it's some amazing feat, but actually, 2,696 yards
    is not really phenomenal for a guy returning punts (294), + kickoffs (1,089), + catching passes (710) + running (603).
    In other words, there isn't much competition, because almost no one else in the league is fully featured
    in a high powered offense and returning both punts and kicks. I view his record as good proof of his talent & versatility,
    but no more a HoF-worthy season, than I view the modern "Save" stats of "closers" who pitch a half inning.
    (Inappropriately weighing those saves, to, say, a Rollie Fingers', who got few opportunities as easy as 3 outs)

Sproles in HoF.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,763
    I never really thought much about Brees when he was a Bolt, both of my Bro's liked him and we'd go round and round about it as I recall. Why some folks hated on Rivers I'll never understand, he didn't choose to be a Bolt and most folks back this way believed he'd be a Stiller, to bad for him in the regard.

You're right though, those were some very interesting times. The UT only let me back on their site last year and I still don't post much there. I still don't understand the hate but it's alive and well and it's not like Brees would have duplicated the success he's had down in the Big Easy.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    [​IMG]

Flutie was the cavalry in the minds of his hoards of bandwagon followers, maybe.

He played 7 games in Drew's one bad season here (2003).

Outside of that? 11 pass attempts in 2002, 38 in 2004 during garbage time/final game of the season with the division already clinched.

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Well a few points:
    Rivers did not choose to be a Charger, but how many players 'choose' to be on a certain team when drafted or picked up as a UDFA? Not many. My point is neither did Brees. I am not sure if there was 'hate' for Rivers.

I recall having absolutely zero faith in him. In his early pre-season play he would throw the would throw the ball into the turf a few feet from his feet and at practice he did not open any eyes. I recall you and several other posters at the time assuring me he would be great, but I didn't see much to back up the statements.

Rivers second or third game starting I remember being frustrated because he had a handful of pass attempts and was being held back by Marty and Cam. In clear passing situations we would hand off. So I thought that was an indication the coaching staff didnt trust him.

He proved to be just as good.... no better for us that Brees was so it all worked out. But back in the day the hard headedness of the posters, especially that loud mouth Conc led to some fun doozies though... ;)

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    He actually referenced the older Brees vs Fluite nonsense in that same post. :roflmao:

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    yeah I didnt get that back then... Flutie was good, gave us a boost and was the best QB the Chargers had actually had on their roster in some time... But he was old. He didn't have the years left on him the way Brees did...

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Nice pic of you GF/Wife or mistress. Brees never had a great year with the Bolts, 4-12 tied with the Duds in 03 and getting a cake walk in o4. Go hit the Listerine and hit it hard but I doubt it will help as you spew an awful lot of it.