1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Further proof my boy is a genius!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by eldwin, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    I am assuming nothing. Did you miss that part where I said "watch him step up his game"?

2. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714
    this feels alot like the KMac trade a few years back. I hope we get a simliar boost from it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    Deeeamn Skippy!:tup: I think it is a great pick up. He will definitely help loosen up the opposing D's in my humble opinion.

4. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    :lol: Goofy, I know, but he burned the guy covering him without fail.

5. IgorUnchained

IgorUnchained BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10

I am with you on Chambers, he is going to come right in and be our #1. He was a rare bright spot on the Dolphins O, and he gives that group a bit of veteran leadership that they lack. I think that this is a GREAT move for AJ and the FO....not only is it a sign that they RECOGNIZE that there are problems, but that they are willing to do some work to take care of the problems.
    A second round pick for Chambers is a steal on paper, and I think that Chambers will benefit from being on an offense where he is, at best, the 3rd option instead of the ONLY target (besides Mcmichael and Welker for a while) on that O.

I disagree about Moss. I called that a long time ago, as did alot of people. Pretending to moon Packer fans and running over a meter maid wouldnt have even made headlines in the Chargers lockerroom last season.....but when he is on a good team he is the ultimate weapon....and when he is winning he says all the right things. I didnt want him because of his "supposed" price tag, but he went to the Pats for a song. That said, I didnt think for a minute that he would regress in a system that saw Reche Caldwell as Chargerskiller....and I didnt assume that Moss had the power to dismantle that lockerroom. How could he? It is full of proven winners, professionals, and a couple of cheaters ;) .

Same goes for Plaxico Burress, by the way. That guy is making Eli Manning look like Dan Marino right now. All he has to do is throw it up in the air, and Plax can catch it. Noone can tell me that his attitude or pricetag would have trumped his production.....plus, do you see how that guy BLOCKS? He is on the top 3 list of blocking WRs in the NFL IMO.

If price tag was the reason we didnt move on these guys, then AJ is coming out smelling like a rose on this one. If it was an "attitude" thing, then we got a chance to see what happened when Moss started winning and was surrounded by pros.....you see how TO isnt giving Wade any headaches, while being productive, because he is winning. Plax is putting up numbers that are only not being celebrated because they happen to be occurring at the same time that Brady/Moss is taking shape....any other season he would be making headlines.

Now that we have passed on Ty Law, Patrick Surtain, Sam Madison, and the rest.....I wonder how long before AJ can get a screaming deal on a Pro Bowl caliber CB? ;)
    Joking.....kind of. If the secondary plays as well as they did last week, we should be in good shape. I think having our pass rush "back" is helping alot.

6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Speaking to Ant's assertion that Chambers is inconsistent, I found this little nugget from last weekend's action:

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/nfl/news?slug=mb-lookstouches_week6_07
    'After totaling just nine looks over the past two games, Chris Chambers led the looks leaderboard in Week 6, the second time he's led the way this season (Week 2). He was the target on 18 of Cleo Lemon's 43 passes, but reminiscent of last season's disastrous campaign, only six were converted into catches, resulting in 63 yards. Chambers was traded to the Chargers on Tuesday – while he may not lead the league in looks again this season, he should improve on his 33 percent reception rate from Week 6, as Philip Rivers has completed 65 percent of his passes.'

This is just a microcosm, of course. But the question is... how many of those throws were actually catchable balls?

7. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I listened to "NFL Insider with John Lynch" on 1090, and among all the PC remarks about the Chargers, he said that a move like this does wonders in a lockerroom. It shows the players that the organization is poised to win immediately.

Seriously, is a Pro Bowl receiver still in his prime worth a second rounder next year? For a team poised to win it all NOW? By the time next years second rounder pans out, LT is going to be on the downside of his career.

I promise you that the happiest person in the world about this trade is LaDainian Tomlinson.

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Parker goes on IR and will be back next year. These two guys on the field with a developing Buster Davis and VJ in the mix along with Floyd improves this team this year and sets us up offensively for next year as well. Carmarillo is back on the bubble when Parker returns.

9. jerry62

jerry62 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I think if will play better with the Chargers,and help to open up our offense. Besides, what were our other receivers doing anyway.

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    True. LT is wetting his pants right now. And Rivers is jumping around doing his "pee pee dance" too.

Considering this Pro Bowl wide receiver was a 2nd rounder himself, I'd say this deal was a steal... as he's certainly better now than he was when he was drafted.

11. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 New Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Hey Ant, I understand how you feel, but as to your point on that a QB doesn't have anything to do with inconsistency, how about not consistently having the same QB? Dude had at least 10 different starting QB's in his time at Miami. That is just ridiculous. I think it would be hard for any receiver to play at the same consistent level when you don't even know who is throwing you the ball from week to week.

Oh and I think with him having a few more years on his contract and with the young receivers we are still developing, Parker is as good as gone.

12. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    How dare you! Parker forever!!!! I refuse to believe that!

13. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 New Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I didn't say that he should be or that I hate the guy or anything, I just think that is what the business side/contract situation side of things requires going forward.

And for those that think VJ is dropping off from being a starter, this team is a running team. VJ is our best blocking WR. He will still be out there helping LT and MT bust off some long runs.

14. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:tup:

I agree about Moss, but lets see what happens later in the season.

Its been 7 years since he made a significant contribution in a playoff game

let them go 14-2

I hope we get to see them in the playoffs.

:tup:

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    Again that is a factor but not the entire cause of it. If WRs were so dependent on their QBs for everything, then guys like Harrison, Holt, Owens, Moss and the like wouldn't be so highly coveted because you can throw in any WR interchangeably. The article about 18 balls being thrown his way, granted Lemon isn't a fantastic quarterback but I find it doubtful that of 18 balls sent Chambers' way, he caught the only 6 that were on target. Hell I'll even, for the sake of this debate, concede that half of the non-caught balls (6/12) were impossible to get to. That still would be 6 that he had a chance to get and didn't.

16. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    WR's and QB's rely on eachother. Come on man. You're telling me Moss aint thriving from brady?

17. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Ant, straight up, do you think that we would have a legit shot at a Super Bowl THIS YEAR with the WR's currently on the roster? KNOWING Parker is done? Do you really believe that we could acquire a player of the same caliber that has been to the Pro Bowl and is still in his twenties with the second round pick (that is going to be at the BOTTOM THIRD of that round)?

Is this a gamble? Yes. But it is a gamble that pays 10 fold should it hit. If the guy falls flat and sucks, we lost a second rounder. Brutal. If he adds a new dimension to the offense, seeing that he is signed for another three years, we stole him.

• Like Like x 1
  18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    I don't know if we could or could not because again our WR corps is still young and still has alot to learn. Its a gamble, a big *** one, because now we have a single solitary day one pick and used a second on a very inconsistent WR prone to mental mistakes EVEN WHEN HE'S THE CENTER OF ATTENTION WHICH HE WILL NOT BE HERE!

Sorry that' i'm pissing on everyone's Chambers-pot party

19. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Not if but when, chambers is for real in his prime and will end up back in the pro-bowl in no time! CHAMBERS RULES!

We didn't steal him, we saved him!

20. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    MY Thoughts on the 2nd round given...

I think that distinction varies from team to team. Is he worth a 2nd round pick? Our GM doesn't think that way. He believes that if we have the chance to pick up value, then we do so. When your team is loaded, the value of your draft picks decline. And this team has talent that's not even suiting up yet. See Anthony Waters, Paul Oliver... etc. With that said, a 2nd round pick's value for the Chargers isn't the same as a rebuilding franchise's. I'm not discounting the value of draft picks at all, but this trade is coming from a guy that believes in building from the draft. He got the value he wanted.

Will he be worth the trade? Only time will really tell. But on paper, this is a very good pick up.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    I just think that you are missing the big picture.

22. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942

23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Whether or not Chambers is as consistent as Jerry Rice signifies nothing. For a receiver to be consistent the timing has to be second nature with an effective QB. Minor inconsistency is one of the last things on my mind right now, because the simple fact is that he adds another dimension to this offense. He absolutely improves the offense, he gives Rivers another quality target who makes tough catches and next year, he and Parker will complement one another because Eric is going no place but here. Osgood is the odd man out on this deal, despite his special teams play. The fact that Chambers is a product of the same system as Norv's means the impact will be quicker than if he went to the likes of the Vikes or Seattle. My take on this guy is that he will assert himself the same way McCardell did and the same way the Chandler did. Whether he'll have Chandler's impact, we'll see, but there is no doubt in my mind that he has that potential. One thing is sure. This makes Michael Turner an even more unlikely retention because of cap space. This makes the pressure on our first pick even greater next year. What side of the line do we reinforce first? One other thing. Next year Legedu Naanee will no longer be a rookie, there is ammo in the dump we haven't even talked about yet. He spells more trouble for Osgood.

24. scottbbo1

scottbbo1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    has anyone adopted Chambers yet? if not, I wanna claim him. :tup:

25. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,602
    alright fine i'll shut up already jeez

For your sake I'll even try to be cheerful about it on the podcast

26. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    funny that you mention that as my best friend goes to all the games and sits the a luxury box (in the real estate business) and i watch miami road games with him and he is going to give me his chambers pro bowl jersey since he is pizzed as fuc and it's of no value to him anymore :yes: i have seen chambers a LOT and in terms of "getting open" he is among the best in the league. dude will get open AT WILL in our offense. If he fails it won't be his fault but sidearm boy's fault.