1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Future picks as trade bait

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Mar 18, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    So we now have this next year...

1st
    2nd
    2nd/3rd (Jets).
    3rd
    3rd (Seahawks)
    4th
    5th
    6th
    7th

Who thinks that AJ could possibly use this surplus of future picks as trade bait to move up in the 1st round (or possibly get another 2nd rounder)?

I dont know the math of how this could work, but I know AJ has a somewhat low value on furture picks, so it wouldn't suprise me at all if he traded some of them away to move up in the draft. If not, it's going to be one heck of a draft next year.

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Pacakge both 3rd round picks for next year and THIS years 7th rounder or 6th for an extra 2nd round pick this year.

Bada bing.

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I like it but I dont think we have a 6th this year... so hopefully the 7 will do...

another 2nd would be sweeet

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am all for that. Then trade Sproles for a 2nd, and we could make a killing in the 1st 2 rounds with 4 picks. It would allow us to get a NT, RB, CB, and either RT, ILB, DE, or S, all of which could use an upgrade

5. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Just a 2nd for Sproles is not enough.

Add an impact player like a LINEMAN and yeah now we are talking some serious trade balling otherwise, it is move WAY up the draft (ala Seahawks) and then take a 3rd.

I get wood any way I start to think about it. :lol:

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yes it is, and that is all he is worth.

7. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Sproles has a 1st and 3rd round tender so it would take at least a first rounder minimum

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What he is tendered doesn't change what his value is. That is like someone saying the price they are selling the stock 1999 Honda Civic is $20,000. That doesn't mean anyone is going to pay that. I have a hard time believing Sproles will net us a 1st, but I would be excited if they did

9. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Probably the biggest detriment to Sproles' value in a trade is his salary situation. Any team that trades for him would want a long term contract. However, Sproles should be very un-motivated to sign any long term contract because he is already guaranteed over $7 Mil this year. So here are his two scenarios as I see them:

Option 1: Stay on this year at the $7 Mil and be a free agent next year where he will either make almost $8 Mil as franchise or sign a long term deal with $10-12 Mil guaranteed. Total guaranteed: ~$18Mil.

Option 2: Sign a long term deal this year at $10-12 Mil guaranteed. Total Guaranteed ~$11 Mil.

Of course he could get injured, but he is basically gambling ~$4 Mil to make an extra $7 Mil. No brainer for me.

As for trading some of our extra 3rd round picks? I'm all for it because this team need quality over quantity. Just as long as they perform better than the other trade ups we have had lately...

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He is also gambling that he has another average at best year and kills his value just based on performance

11. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Yeah, but if that happens he is still going to go somewhere and make at least $3Mil, probably more like $5 guaranteed, and in that case he will be at the same $10 - 12 Mil he would have this year by signing a long term deal.

Just dosen't seem like he has any incentive to sign long term so I'm afraid he won't be traded.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am afraid of the same thing. I am afraid the Chargers will hold out for too much, like they did with Brees and Turner who they demanded two 1st rounders and nothing less, so in turn we got nothing in return.

Sproles should be shopped to see what his value is. The Seahawks gave up a 2nd and dropped 20 spots and all they did was sign Whitehurst to a 2 years deal. Maybe another team would be willing to make the trade for Sproles with demanding a 4-5 year deal

13. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

I hope they are at least talking to other teams

14. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Right. IT would be a good call considering how deep this draft is since next year will have a rookie pay scale. What good is 2 3rd rounders in 2011 compared to a second rounder in 2010.

15. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I see us working a trade for one of the Patriots three second round picks. Maybe our third this year and one from next year.

If we keep our third rounder I like AJ Jefferson at corner. Just like the name. Has a Charger feel to it.

Two guys from Fresno St. in the first three rounds? Very possible.

16. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    It's a deep pool this year, and a great season to have multiple picks in the 2nd round, I'm all for it.

17. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I agree, but on the flip side I was one who thought there was no way in hell that someone would give up a 3rd for Whitehurst and not only did we get a 3rd but we swapped 2nds with Seattle....AJ raped them on that one.

18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    You know I like that name!

John Jefferson from the 80's!

[​IMG]

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Tagging allow teams to talk turkey so he is being shopped.

There are very few safe players (Rivers, Volek, Gates, McNeil, Dielman, Vasquez, Jammer, Weddle, Castillo and maybe a few more but none come to mind).

I would be shopping the rest....all of them. :yes: