1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gaither out again

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,410
    Gaither day-to-day with muscle spasms
    First Chargers public practice draws estimated 5,100

It's been a rough little start to training camp for the Chargers' 6-foot-9 left tackle.

Jared Gaither dealt with cramps Thursday during the first practice of camp and was carted off the field. He was a full participant the next day.

On Saturday, he missed all of practice with muscle spasms.

The two ailments aren't related.

"It was completely different," coach Norv Turner said Saturday. "He's a big, tall guy. He was lifting this morning, and he just kind of turned, and he's got some muscle spasms. I'm confident it's a day-to-day thing."

Gaither started the final five games last year with the Chargers, not allowing a quarterback sack or hit and ceding just two pressures to key a 4-1 finish. In March, he signed a four-year, $24.5 million contract with $13.5 million guaranteed.

Mario Henderson took first-team reps again in Gaither's absence.

According to the team, Saturday's practice, the first in pads and to be open to the public, drew an estimated crowd of 5,100 at Chargers Park.

For Henderson, it was his first chance to wear NFL pads since the 2010 season; he was out of the league last year after reporting to Raiders camp overweight following the lockout.

He's down to about 335 pounds now, Henderson said, and while the team is comfortable it, he may lose another 10 or so over the course of camp.

"It's just a blessing to have the opportunity to play again," Henderson said. "It feels good. It's been a long time waiting. A year and a half. I'm excited to be back on it."

Nuts 'n' Bolts
    --Chargers tight end Antonio Gates had his usual flare for the dramatic Saturda. Two of his red-zone touchdown catches were one-handed grabs.

"He does it every day," Turner said. "He and Malcom (Floyd), I think, have a contest going of who can make the most unusual catch. ... He adds a lot to our practices when he's out there on a daily basis."

--Outside linebacker Larry English, strong safety Atari Bigby, and wide receivers Eddie Royal and Mike Willie were among the players sidelined.

--The team will open its Sunday practice to the public. Practice runs from 10:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Chargers Park. Admission is free.

2. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Is Norf serious ?

How could anyone say that a fullbody cramp and muscle spasms arent related ?

Guess he's been listening to Chao for too long now would be the only explanation for that dumbarse remark.

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Potassium deficiency???

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814

Posted by Josh Alper on July 29, 2012, 8:44 AM EDT
    The Chargers have held three practices during training camp and left tackle Jared Gaither has dealt with injuries during two of them.
    Gaither was carted off the field with cramps during Thursday’s opening workout and he missed all of Saturday’s work with muscle spasms. According to Michael Gehlken of theSan Diego Union Tribune, the Chargers feel that the two injuries are unrelated and that Gaither’s status is day-to-day going forward.
    “It was completely different,” coach Norv Turner said. “He’s a big, tall guy. He was lifting this morning, and he just kind of turned, and he’s got some muscle spasms. I’m confident it’s a day-to-day thing.”
    Gaither joined the Chargers after getting cut by the Chiefs last season and San Diego signed him to a four-year contract in March. Back problems helped cause his departure from Baltimore after the 2010 season. Mario Henderson, who didn’t play in 2011 after showing up to Raiders camp out of shape, has stepped in for Gaither.
    That underscores how crucial a healthy Gaither is for the Chargers this season. They haven’t gotten one yet and they may have to scramble for further help if Gaither can’t start staying on the field for two consecutive days.

5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Again, nothing is torn, nothing is ruptured, nothing is sprained, broken, or ripped. It sounds like they're taking him out of the practices instead of letting him continue once he has an issue. Could be that he's just pushing himself too hard.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Did the Chargers not read his history? Did they not know that Gaither had a bad injury history? Nearly as bad if not worse than McNeil. Did they just think this wouldn't happen - they should've been better prepared

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Are there any other clubs that are as snake bit as the chargers always seem to be?????

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I'm beginning to wonder how much of this is really injuries vs. the name he was plagued with during his time with The Ravens and Chiefs. For what its worth, it sound like Henderson is really taking advantage of his opportunity, I don't know what he can bring to the table as far as how good he is at keeping Rivers jersey clean but, the guy seems motivated

Lets just hope Gaither really is having cramps and spasms and gets that out of the way before the season starts.

9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Gaither has, to this point, missed 0 regular season starts for us. I think it might be in order to hold off on saying that he's an area of concern until he does so, and/or plays poorly.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm concerned from the standpoint that he's being viewed as an integral part of this team. I'm not concerned over past labels - he's always wanted to play LOT & both the Ravens & Chiefs were blocking that role for him. Did he handle that situation as professionally as I would like to see? Based on what I've read, probably not. But that situation shouldn't present itself here. He is slotted for the position he wants to play.

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629

I just think it's amusing how people are getting on his case at this point because it's late July and he's having muscle cramps working out outside. He appears to be healthy enough to hit the weight room without any difficulties during the morning practices, so I'm not worried.

EDIT: Not getting on his case, but predicting gloom and doom for him. I could've been more specific.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Doom & gloom is an essential part of many fans' tool kits.

I try to enjoy the sport &, if it gets too depressing, I drink more. :D

13. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    without knowing which muscles are involved, the other muscles were over compensating. It is obviously a sign that he is out of shape. When muscles fatigue they 'cramp' and then they spasm due to stress of the 'cramp'

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629

He's a 330 LB man, lifting in the morning, and running around in football pads in the afternoon. It's an obvious sign that he's exceeding the limits of his body, not that he's out of shape. None of these reports give information on how he's doing in the weightroom, or at what point in the practice he's having these cramps. You're jumping to conclusions based on incomplete information.

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,410
    That was my first thought as well....... I doubt he put in the necessary conditioning time before camp started.

We may have another Marcus McNeill on our hands........ big softy ;)

16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    He may be wrong, but the symptoms are a spot on, and I don't think its unfair for rickochey to jump there due to Gaither's history of questionable work ethic.

17. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    When a person is that big and he goes against a 'live' person that puts more strain and stress on not just ligaments, tendons/mucsles but also the bio-mechanics of the body. There is no substitute for 'live' workouts. A gym is only about 50% accurate until he gets into game shape and that is through actual practice.

18. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I am studying to be a doctor. Neurologist and a minor in chiropractic

19. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I am studying to be a doctor and the body is predictable. It is a very complicated yet a simplistic organism. Bio-mechanics and understanding the laws of physics helps understand the cause of his muscle spasms. If the players were able to get into shape just from the gym, all these owners would not want to risk millions of dollars in training camp injuries.

20. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I didn't say that he's trying to get into shape just from the gym. What I said was that you're making an assessment of his physical conditioning based on his symptoms, without knowing the level of activity/intensity he's putting out.

If I go to a doctor and tell him I broke my arm because I tripped and fell, he/she would have cause to suspect that I had osteoporosis if I failed to mention that I tripped and fell down 2 flights of stairs. He's probably exceeding the limits/capabilities of his body. That doesn't mean that he is in poor condition.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,410
    It doesn't mean he was in great shape either.

Many guys who get a big payday get fat and lazy. Do I know that's happened to Gaither?....... no. I also haven't heard anything written about his offseason conditioning.

We've read about Green going to a special linemen camp to get himself in condition for the season. We've read about Henderson dropping 30 pounds and working hard to get in shape. What have we read about Gaither's workout regime this year?.......... I've seen nothing. Maybe, he took it easy like Mathews did last year, and is paying the price now. We just don't know.

Considering his early struggles, I'd guess that he didn't come into camp in top shape. Surely, he can work himself into football shape, like Mathews did last year. It's hardly cause for alarm at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    lol. Muscles are very easily predicted once one knows the bio-mechanics of the body.

23. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    That is very true. I am glad that AJ took the necessary steps to build depth.

24. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    That is absolutely correct, muscles are very easily predicted, and you've identified the cause of his symptoms (exceeding the capabilities of his body). That doesn't equate to knowing why he exceeded the capabilities of his body.

25. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    I too am studying to be a doctor! Cardiology and a minor in Blood Letting and Astrology. My crystals say that Gaither is fine as long as he doesn't visit a Chiroquackter

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  26. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    You tiny people talking about your betters make me laugh

27. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    THAT'S ADORABLE!

28. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Why are you alive? Why? There is no purpose to your existence.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  29. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I give up. you are the biggest douche bag ever.. why are you trying to argue? did your momma not hug you enough?

30. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Why are you pretending to be able to assess the causes of his injury when you A) have no idea what his conditioning level is, and B) have no idea what his activities have been?