1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Game Day: Chargers v. Jaguars

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    [​IMG]

Time for the Chargers to prove something. I guess we shall have to wait to see what spin we put on today's lessons.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    I think I have just about gotten over last and am ready for this.

Looking forward to a 30 point blow out, no injuries, 100 yds for Melvin, zero drops and nothing but great catches from Hunter and 8 sacks.

I will of course take a pig ugly 3-0 win and no injuries to go 1-1.

Go Boltz

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    I would appreciate Philip throwing a few td s for fantasy sake.

I don't have a prediction for this game, all I know is just like last week I won't expect a win until we have more points than other guys after final whistle.

Would love a huge Melvin thumping game

4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    It's Game Day! I am in the process of loading up the truck right now, we're going to have a lot of good food, mucho beer, and a chance to meet a lot of old friends as well meeting new ones! Looking forward to seeing you all there! Let's skin these spotted cats! GO BOLTS!!!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    Have fun pointy and Jesus you're up early for the tailgate #impressed

6. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Every home game, my friend.

7. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    tmp_9359-FB_IMG_14742035921321841169767.jpg

• Funny Funny x 5
  8. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Whew! Only took 7 trips to load up the truck! Gear is packed, ready to rock! Now it's time to get myself ready, then the fun really starts. GO BOLTS!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Anyone got a link to the game today? Apparently it is not televised up by Riverside. Effin NFL.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://www.espn.com/blog/san-diego-...benjamin-should-have-expanded-role-vs-jaguars

SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego Chargers have a host of players to lean on withKeenan Allen done for the season, including Antonio Gates, Danny Woodhead,Tyrell Williams and Melvin Gordon.

But wide reciever Travis Benjamin also should be near the top of the list.

The Florida native signed a four-year, $24 million contract this offseason to serve as San Diego’s deep threat. Benjamin was targeted eight times last week against the Kansas City Chiefs, finishing with seven receptions for 32 yards.

However, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers never connected with Benjamin on any deep completions, hitting Benjamin on mostly slip screens or inside routes for third-down conversions.

With Allen out, Benjamin will be tasked with creating some explosive plays and helping to move the chains Sunday in San Diego’s home opener against theJacksonville Jaguars.

“I have to be way more productive,” Benjamin said. “I have to catch more balls, gain more yards and put us in great field position in the punt return game -- get under the ball, catch the ball and make sure we shorten the field because we lost a weapon that we really need.”

One stat of note: Under the current playoff format, only 12 percent of teams starting 0-2 have gone on to make the playoffs, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

The Chargers are seeking to avoid the team’s first 0-2 start since 2008. San Diego finished 8-8 that season.

Here are five things to watch for in Sunday’s matchup between the Chargers and Jaguars.

Use familiarity to their advantage: The Chargers should have intimate knowledge of how the Jaguars want to attack them on both sides of the ball. Former Jacksonville defensive coordinator Bob Babich serves as San Diego’s linebackers coach. Nose tackle Brandon Mebane played for Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley and defensive coordinator Todd Wash when the two served as defensive coordinator and defensive line coach, respectively, for the Seattle Seahawks. And San Diego defensive coordinator John Pagano faced Jacksonville offensive coordinator Greg Olson twice a year when he served in that same role for the Oakland Raiders. “We know it’s a game of playing 11 on 11,” Pagano said. “But it’s also winning those one-on-one matchups. And any insight you can get from somebody that’s been around them is huge.”

Feed Melvin Gordon: We’ve talked about it a lot this week, but Gordon needs more than 14 total touches per game for San Diego’s offense to play winning football for four quarters. As head coach Mike McCoy likes to say, the Chargers drafted Gordon for a reason -- get the Wisconsin product going early and often.

Contain Allen Robinson: Jacksonville quarterback Blake Bortles targeted Robinson 14 times in Week 1 (six catches for 72 yards), Robinson’s second-most targets of his career, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Expect the Chargers to match up cornerback Jason Verrett on Robinson. Verrett also traveled with Robinson in last season’s game between the two teams. Robinson finished with five receptions for 56 yards and a touchdown in that game.

Put pressure on Bortles: The third-year pro will give opponents the football -- Bortles finished with a league-high 18 interceptions last season. And Pagano does a good job of creating exotic looks and pressures against young signal-callers.

Take away the short stuff: Bortles completed 11 of 12 passes with a touchdown when targeting running backs and tight ends in the Jaguars' Week 1 contest against the Green Bay Packers, according to ESPN Stats & Information. The Chargers allowed an NFL-high 21 completions for 247 yards to running backs and tight ends in Week 1 against Kansas City. In last season’s matchup, Jacksonville tight end Julius Thomas finished with nine receptions for 116 yards and a score. The Chargers have to do a better job of defending the tight ends and running backs with their second-level defenders.

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    It's week 2...

LET'S GET THIS MOFO STARTED!!!

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
  13. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    should i start Melvin Gordon or Tyrell Williams on my flex today? hmmmm

14. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    So can we get those 30 minutes in the second half? Would be great to finish a game strong even if we gotta endure 2 quarters of failure.

15. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I'm matched up vs Gordon so I'm betting on him getting double digits prob a score too.

I got Woodhead as rb2.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
  17. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I'm matched up vs Gordon so I'm betting on him getting double digits prob a score too.

I got Woodhead as rb2.

18. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Here we go! Getting ready to head down to the stadium. For you out of town fans, it is supposed to be close to 90 degrees around game time and the Jags will be wearing their dark jerseys...think Seattle 2 years ago.
    Memo to Coach McCoy: We need everyone's best effort for SIXTY minutes! Unleash the Melvins!!!!
    Have you spayed / neutered your Jaguar today?
    and finally....GET LOUD PEOPLE!!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Chargefwd

Chargefwd BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    Come on Bolts!!!
    Lets get R Done! 60 mins of football this time.. !

20. ShowYourBolts

ShowYourBolts Offering free samples.

Ratings:
    +114
    I'm starting Tyrell, I've gotta hunch he's going to do well today.

21. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I wish I had hope, and at the same time I'm glade that I don't.

22. Chargefwd

Chargefwd BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +78
    I Know... Right there with you, Brother!

23. Lawyers guns & money

Lawyers guns & money BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +109
    Anybody hit you up with a link?

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Nope.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
  26. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    Go bolts!

27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Go Bolts!

28. RenoBoltsFan

RenoBoltsFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Tailgating prep is making me jealous, but I got my flag flying. Go Bolts!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  29. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Go where?

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Eric Williams ‏@eric_d_williams 7m7 minutes ago
    Chargers inactives: DE Joey Bosa, DT Ryan Carrethers, RB Andre Williams, S Adrian Phillips, C Max Tuerk, OL... http://es.pn/2cnly7i

Michael Gehlken ‏@sdutGehlken 16m16 minutes ago
    Chargers LG Orlando Franklin (neck, questionable) will start today. Added to injury report Saturday. One of seven OL active vs. Jags.

#JAXvsSD ‏@Chargers 11m11 minutes ago
    Jags #JAXvsSD Inactives: QB Brandon Allen CB Prince Amukamara RB Chris Ivory G Chris Reed WR Bryan Walters DE Tyson Alualu DE Chris Smith