1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Garafolo: Chargers, Rivers' agent still working on potential extension

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...p-rivers-potential-extension-nfl-draft-042915

The San Diego Chargers met with quarterback Philip Rivers' agent late last week with the intent of extending his current deal, FOX Sports 1 NFL Insider Mike Garafolo reported Tuesday.

Rivers, who would become an unrestricted free agent after the 2015 season without an extension, reportedly does not want to move his family to Los Angeles, where the Chargers are expected to move to in the near future.

The Chargers reportedly have been exploring a potential trade option involving Rivers, who could be sent to the Tennessee Titans for the No. 2 overall pick in Thursday's NFL Draft. Former Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota is expected to be available at that spot after the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select presumptive No. 1 pick Jameis Winston.

Rivers has spent his entire 11-year career with the Chargers and been named to the Pro Bowl five times. With a potential move to Los Angeles, the Chargers might want to reset the franchise and trade the 33-year-old quarterback for Mariota, keeping the Hawaiian native somewhat close to

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Of course now we can speculate that they are working on this to allow the trade with the Titans....

Annnnnd GO.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    I say it's a done deal. He'll get something like Big Ben money, probably less due to less playoff appearances. As a San Diego Charger of course.

4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    This is just one giant cluster- where the media is concerned and I think it's fairly clear that just about no one knows what they're talking about - since you have different journalists from the same outlets contradicting one another.

@ProFootballTalk · 1h1 hour ago
    On PFT Live, @JayGlazer calls Philip Rivers trade chatter "agent driven."

Alex Flanagan @Alex_Flanagan · Apr 27
    As of now, The San Diego Chargers have not had conversations with any team regarding a trade of QB Phillip Rivers.

@Alex_Flanagan · 20h20 hours ago
    a lot made of the heavy contingent the chargers sent to see Mariota. Funny thing is, a similarly heavy contingent went to see Brett Hundley

Alex Flanagan @Alex_Flanagan · Apr 27
    I'm now cutting off the legitimate legs I gave the Philip Rivers trade rumors this weekend.

Michael Gehlken @UTgehlken · 21h21 hours ago
    Still no Philip Rivers trade talk between Chargers and Titans, Titans GM says: http://utsd.us/1OAEpKl

Jim Wyatt @jwyattsports · 22h22 hours ago
    Webster said he's worked the phones on trade possibilities. Teams have reached out to him. Has not talked to #Chargers he said

To clarify the outlets for each, that's a Fox Sports journalist (Glazer) on an NBC outlet (PFT). an NFLN and NBC reporter (Flanagan), a U-T beat reporter we all know, and a Titans beat writer for the Tennessean who said U-T Chargers beat writer was quoting.

5. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Looks like the Brown-eyes are already tired of the Manziel act......they're now on the forefront for Mariotta.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    If Manziel is made available for a pittance, is there interest among Chargers?

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    I heard rivers to the Giants for Eli

Baaahahhhhhaaahahahahahhhaha can't say that without laughing

8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Well, if we are to believe a lot of pundits that should guarantee us 2 Super Bowl wins!

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    I just heard another rumor that the flaming thumbtacks want to give up three draft choices and a current player from the team for Rivers. It has to be true, I heard this from Fred the barber. So add this to your legit media sources, Fred knows a lot...

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Fred the Barber is probably still a more credible source than Incarcerated Bob.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He prefers the name Sideshow Bob
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    [​IMG]
    Just a little off the top...

14. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
  15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Worst possible scenario, he retires a Charger after 2015.

I know a lot of people want him to retire a Charger, so do I to a certain degree, but we're simply not ready for it. I'd rather see him tagged and traded so we could at least have a fighting chance at recovering. If we have to I wouldn't be opposed to trading Weddle either, maybe that way we could package some picks to go get Cook or Hackenburg in 2016. Because it's extremely unlikely we're picking in the top 5 unless Rivers gets hurt.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Only the worst if the Chargers are unable to get a replacement. If Rivers no longer wanted to play, would it be better for him to be here, or us trying to groom his replacement? The timeline for trades have gone, until/unless he signs an extension.

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    This may be a bit of a double-edged sword to many on here, but this was an image cap from last night's playoff game at Staples Center where Phil was in attendance.

[​IMG]
    Apparently he's not entirely allergic to LA.

• Like Like x 1