1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Garcon chose RG3 over Rivers....or Shanny over Norv?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Mar 14, 2012.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=102&f=1918&t=8806547

Jason La Canfora
    Garcon chose ‘Skins, RG3 over Chargers
    [​IMG]
    By Jason La Canfora |
    Published: March 14th, 2012 | Tags: 2012 free agency, Pierre Garcon, Robert Griffin III, San Diego Chargers, Washington Redskins
    The Redskins can thank Robert Griffin III for allowing them to land Pierre Garcon.
    Though Washington was the early favorite to acquire the former Colts receiver, the Chargers came in late with an offer that matched the Redskins. If Garcon had not valued the potential of catching passes from RG3, he likely would’ve taken that cross-country flight to sign with San Diego.
    The Redskins have now provided weapons for Griffin in Garcon and Josh Morgan, and they continue to be in the hunt to land the services of Eddie Royal, who they also value for his return skills.
    The end result could be a receiving corps that tallies nearly $20 million in cap space. This means cuts should follow, with Jabar Gaffney, Santonio Moss and even tight end Chris Cooley all candidates to be shown the door.

2. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    There is no logic behind this thinking.

I think the real reason is he chose stability over incompetance.

3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I would take Jabar Gaffney and Santana Moss here, either one, right price-one year deals..

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    it all starts from the top! We are not going to get any big name FA's because of the Front Office.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Because buffalo is THAT much more stable?

No offense but extreme BS - Garcon went to Washington because they gave an inconsistent #2 the type of money a #1 gets. Simple as that. He can dress it up however he wants but Garcon never deserved that much money for his time in Indy

• Like Like x 4
  6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555

Washington has hired the right people lately, as long as Dan Snyder stays out of it they'll be headed upward soon.

We however, are a bad season away from cleaning house.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    they're definitely making progress, I'm not knocking Washington as a team or an organization. I'm just saying that giving alot of credence to statements like the one mentioned by Garcon are BS at best and outright lying at worst. Garcon would never have gotten that much money elsewhere, he was vastly overpaid. Jackson can talk about the benefits of tampa all he wants but Freeman is absolutely not as good as Rivers, and Tampa is not as good as the Chargers even with their recent additions. Jackson outright said (and I give him credit for honesty) that the money is what brought him to Tampa.

8. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Good, because I prefer Meachem anyway. And Garcon got too much money if you ask me.

I'd be quite content with adding 1 more low-profile / veteran / under-the-radar WR and rolling with a group of Gates, Floyd, Meachem and Brown plus 1 more. That's a decent group with a great mixture of skill-sets. Guys like Doucet, Edwards, Schilens, or even that dirty Steeler Hines Ward would all be suitable pickups IMO

9. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I don't want Hines Ward anywhere near a Chargers uniform

• Like Like x 1
  10. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I thought we were doing that over that past 6 years.

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    He went to Washington first and chose to sign with Washington for one simple reason... green. There will be folks quick to defend Garcon for having put up 1000 yards last season in spite of having Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter throwing him the ball. But take a close look at those stats - the vast majority of his production came in the later 1/3 of games when his team was trailing by more than 10 points (we call that Garbage Time, 'round here). Then look even further, Garcon has a CAREER catch percentage of just barely over 50%... so he's literally dropping nearly 1 of every 2 passes dropped to him. He's a total feast or famine player who can make all the spectacle catches but failed to consistently bring in the easy stuff that a high school WR should be able to field. I have a feeling that Garcon knew that he wasn't going to see NEAR that kind of cheddar from Dean and AJ that Danny Snyder dangled in front of him (and Garcon was reported asking for $8 million per year average from the outset).

• Like Like x 1
  12. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Isn't it reported Chargers offered him the same amount of money? Regardless, doesn't that mean if he signed with SD he'd be an overpaid, inconsistent #2? This team is at a point where we consider it fortunate a player decides to take equal pay with a another team.

I see a no win situation and no reason why SD should be involved in this in the first place.

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Brandon Lloyd?

14. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Snyder is stable!?

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    By stability I mean the potential for front office firings.

Snyder is an idiot, but Shanny and Bruce Allen are more secure than AJ and Norv.

16. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    But are they?....... if this trade doesn't work out, they are history. Synder has an itchy trigger finger....... Spanos doesn't.

17. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Did you really just use "stability" in reference to Dan Snyder and the Redskins? :roflmao::roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Ironic I know. But I'd rather have Shanarat and Allen over Norv and AJ any day.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    That doesn't really make their organization stable. You don't think Shanarat will be on Snyder's hot seat if RGIII flops?

Hell, the impulse hire of Shanarat is a shining example of Washington's instability.

20. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Of course he will if RG3 flops, thats just the way of the NFL, but that doesn't mean Shanarat isn't a better coach.

The Redskins are headed in the right direction, we are headed in the wrong one, at the moment the Redskins (and yes we should be embarrassed) are a more stable situation than the Chargers.

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Shanarat being a better coach than Norv doesn't make the Redskins a more stable organization.